Franklin, Connecticut
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Novosad
Member #

Service Branch
EMS
Hi everyone, i’m looking for some suggestions on what i should do to get the best of all. Currently on my 2015 outback i have a yakima off grid with my ARB awning, and i have Malone Multirack that sort of fits. Not exactly how i’d like to. it slides a lot. Now i plan on adding the 18 inch extension piece the rack itself but i i also want to add some storage on top so i don’t have to packrat everything in my car and i can leave mostly everything inside. i don’t have a ton of gear so there won’t be a ton of weight added. Now i carry my kayaks on my car as well. My main kayak is a 76 lb open fishing kayak, it can be side carried but it’s very large, heavy, and not great to carry said way. My other one is just a sun dolphin. More or less it’s the kayaks creating difficultly because i’m not sure how they should be carried with all of that. obviously height is another concern getting everything secure. any input is appreciated.

Attachments

Alan S

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

windsor ca
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Snyder
Member #

I was in the same boat as you(no pun intended), got tired of sketchy tie offs. added an Intex inflatable double to our fleet of kayaks, problem solved! FWIW, ive paddled for 30 years, with closed deck, sit on top, and now inflatable, from lakes to open ocean. Went cheap on the Intex, cause, ive spent enough on yaks:grinning:. if this was my only yak, id have spent more $$

OverlandEasternCT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Franklin, Connecticut
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Novosad
Member #

Service Branch
EMS
I’m actually thinking about for a possible project as i work more on my outback, i might just build a custom utility trailer to accommodate my boats and then have the possibility of moving an atv as well. i don’t go down super hard trails with my car so i can’t see a trailer being a major downside

obchristo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Christo
Last Name
Kuzmich
My wife has that same type of rack on her Subi. Aweful design as you can't get a long span with aftermarket bars and the connection to the roof with those pivoting bars is super suspect.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I grew up in Hawaii and everyone uses a flatrack and rubber tie downs. Can’t beat it honestly. Turn your kayak upside down, throw some Simple Straps around it and lash it down to whatever you want. It’s what we do for our 1 man canoes and kayaks. There’s a bunch of folks that make all kinds of mounts here, but like you said the height becomes and issue, so you end up laying everything flat, especially if you want to stop and park somewhere. My $.02. Good luck!

Reactions: Advtres

Bernard_C

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Menlo Park, CA
First Name
Bernard
Last Name
Chen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN9NGN
I've been using a Rhino Rack system with removable feet for 2 years now. I usually carry a tandem Hobie (85lbs), but have carried a second single Hobie for relatively short distances (25 miles). I believe that system is rated for 150lbs of dynamic weight.

I like the removable system because I can get back 1-2 MPG without the rack, which I only need on weekends anyway.

K9 HAULR

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Incline Village, NV, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Lutz
Member #

Not a cheap alternative, but love the Thule Hullavator for my 17' Eddyline. Have had it on a Cayenne, 4Runner, and now my LC200. Makes loading MUCH easier!!