Street Tire PSI When Off Road

• HTML tutorial

BeastModeABM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Big Bear City, CA
Member #

He guys I have stock STREET tires on my rig. Max PSI recommended is 45 - how low should I be able to go without risking popping out of the bead? I've been going down to 30 PSI.

I'd like to improve my overall traction on rock/sand.

Last edited:

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

What tires and load rating do you have? How many plies are the tread and sidewalls? What is the manufacturers recommended street pressure?

BeastModeABM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Big Bear City, CA
Member #

This is the exact tire I've been using https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-sr-a same tires I bought with the Jeep.

They're definitely street tires but I've taken them off road in Montana, Utah, and the mountains here in California. I go off road I'd say at least once every other week.

I'm just waiting on them to wear out before I get all terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: zachtyler

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Most vehicles tire sensors won't turn on until under 28psi, so I would have not one single issue aring down an all season tire to 20 or 25.

saint urho

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

I ran my P265/75/16 BFG Rugged Trails between 12 and 15 psi in Moab.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Street tires right?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Sounds low but you would be surprised. I would try airing your tires down till they just start to show softer, rock your jeep side to side and watch how it moves on the rim, then check pressure. You will visibly see how the tire reacts and find your comfort zone. I doubt you will see noticeable difference till around 30-32psi by looking at your tires. There really is no set number you need to achieve and loaded weight makes a difference. Just by playing it safe and taking a third of your pressure down, you will feel a noticeable in the very loose stuff (sand,gravel) and very stiff trail stuff like rocks and logs.

Reactions: BeastModeABM

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

OK.... the Goodyear page does not indicate the tread or sidewall plies but I agree with Glenn that you will be ok at 20PSI. When you do get new tires consider stepping up a size and going for a D or E rated tire to get the stronger sidewall construction for use off road. Since you are in the dirt so often a AT/MT hybrid tire would be perfect for your needs.

Airing down allows your tire to conform to the terrain and grab rocks and logs etc... and provides a smoother ride on rough trails. I have always considered it a safety issue as well. Running at high pressure off road reduces traction and can contribute to sliding off the trail or an obstacle.

Last edited:

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I have the Cooper Discoverer LSX (NTB only tire) in 265/70/16 and they are designed for 45psi for max loading, but doing the chalk test showed that for everyday use, 35psi gets the whole tread in contact with the road to prevent unusual wear. When I load it for a trip, I'll do the test again and see where my numbers fall then.

As for off road, I'd probably drop down to 20psi loaded, maybe 15 unloaded but I don't think I'd venture much lower without going to a load range E tire.

Hapla

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Oshawa
First Name
John
Last Name
Philip
Member #

I was running some street tires a few years back till my ATs came in. I hit a trail (a level 2 up here) nothing too crazy but a little more then a street tire would normally like. I was comfortable going down to 18psi but at 16psi it was a little too low. So I would say, other then checking as you go and finding what you and your tires are happy with, stay somewhere above 15 and below 20. And remember go slow and watch for sticks and branches. At low pressure your street tires will puncture easy on the sidewalls (well any tire will but....)

Looking for no cell service, no job schedule and no stress.
Bring on the camp fires and stary nights with friends and family.

Reactions: TerryD

JimmyPresley

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Portsmouth, NH, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Presley
Member #

Does sidewall height factor into the low pressure range? I have 20" wheels still unfortunately so not a lot of sidewall. I am always worried about going too low.

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

Does sidewall height factor into the low pressure range? I have 20" wheels still unfortunately so not a lot of sidewall. I am always worried about going too low.
In the same boat as you, I run 18in rims and don't air them down near as much as I would a 15 or 16...Just not enough sidewall to absorb enough and still keep the rims from getting beaten up. When my ATs wear out I'm buying a set of steel 15s...Plenty of sidewall and way better ride.

OB#3799

Reactions: BCBrian

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Definitely. With lower profile tires, airing down increases the risk of rim damage, popping a bead off the rim and pushing dirt and rocks into the bead and degrading it's ability to seal.

Uboatcmdr

Rank I

Enthusiast I

It's all going to depend on terrain and the tires. Load range, sidewall height and overall speed (Rough gravel logging roads, vs slow trail crawling) play a big role in the lowest pressure you can safely run.

Biggest recommendation is to be aware of hot vs cold tire pressures.
If I have been on the highway for a couple hours and air down to 15PSI for a trail, it will be more like 8-9PSI once the tires cool down.

sledgehomer

Rank 0

Traveler I

An off road tire will have a better chance at a lower psi. I wouldn't trust a street/ hybrid tire at lower psi. On that note, I ran 37" BFG All terrains at 10 and 8 psi all the time. Never blew a bead. But those tires are designed to operate like that. And I also didn't drive like an ape.

Sent from my SM-T713 using OB Talk mobile app