Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
My wife is very adamant that we make a fire and cook off it, when that isn't an option we use a trusty Coleman

Reactions: El-Dracho

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

My main source for decades has been a white gas Coleman Powerhouse two burner, love that stove. For lighter trips we have gravitated to the Firebox G2 5" folding wood stove and take the Trangia burner attachment along with either propane or butane so that fuel is never an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: El-Dracho

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
After years of reliable use with my Coleman 2-burner and lanterns on white gas, I switched up to propane for the stove and solar LEDs for my lighting. After some consultation with other Scouters already on propane and rolling through various review sites, I took a close look at and purchased the Camp Chef Everest 2X. It's excellent. Room for large posts/skillets, great simmer control, simple set up and cleaning, lightweight, very affordable.

Reactions: 15PSD

Haden

Rank 0

Contributor I

Virginia
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Shapley
Service Branch
Navy
I use a camp partner stove and really like. Super solid construction and very good burner control. That hand made craftsmanship will cost though. If ya are looking to save money I would get another trusty Coleman

Reactions: MMc

Lazynorse

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Olsen
We use the Kovea Slim Twin, its super light, one of the few that uses a flexible fuel hose that stores inside. works great with the Omni Oven for baking and has good low heat simmer abilities. usually fuel it from a 5lb cylinder with a 1lb green bottle for backup. for meals that just need hot water we use the jet boil flash.
View attachment 248977
I chose this due to its thinness, too, after vigorous comparison shopping. Better for packing. I can also confirm this is a top performer. I'd rolled with various Coleman before it, which I'll say did the trick but I was ultimately disappointed with my last one, burner on one side and grill on the other. That grill was either nuclear hot in the center or lukewarm everywhere else. Not great. Two burners were better for me. We're really happy with the Kovea. I got a model that didn't come with the flexible fuel connector, though. My jealously cannot be contained!

Reactions: OTH Overland

Enthusiast II

Sparta, WI, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Harazin
Reactions: Lazynorse

socal geek guy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

just saw that costco has the coleman griddle version of their road trip grill. its not compact by any means, but i could see it being nice if you have the room to pack it. being on its own stand, it wouldn't take up space on your table, so that's a plus. also being able to cook multiple things all at the same time, that would be great if you're cooking for multiple people. looks like their normal price is $199, but its on sale for $149 through march 27th. there's part of me that wants it, but then another part of me that says i don't need another stove/griddle.

ceram

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Shingle Springs, California, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Ramstrom
Member #

We use the Kovea Slim Twin, its super light, one of the few that uses a flexible fuel hose that stores inside. works great with the Omni Oven for baking and has good low heat simmer abilities. usually fuel it from a 5lb cylinder with a 1lb green bottle for backup. for meals that just need hot water we use the jet boil flash.
View attachment 248977
I really like this stove for how thin it is. Fits in my full extension drawer nicely. However the piezo ignition is junk, one side quit working on the first trip and the other side is now intermittent. Hope your experience is better. Otherwise like you say it simmers great, better than anything I've used previously. The flex fuel hose a plus!

Reactions: OTH Overland

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I really like this stove for how thin it is. Fits in my full extension drawer nicely. However the piezo ignition is junk, one side quit working on the first trip and the other side is now intermittent. Hope your experience is better. Otherwise like you say it simmers great, better than anything I've used previously. The flex fuel hose a plus!
The igniter has been a issue, at least the left one. Kovea did offer to replace the stove, but we adjusted (bent) the spark wire slightly and it made a big difference. The left side does seem a bit sensitive to how much gas is flowing when lighting, found it works better with the gas just cracked on to light. Think it might have to much pressure when turned on high and pushes it past the sweet spot of combustibility past igniter or something.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
We have a Cook Partner and an Iwatani 35FW single burner butane stove. We prefer the Iwatani but do use the Cook Partner as our primary outside stove. The Iwatani is our inside stove and also our front bumper stove for coffee etc on the go or while at a pullout/beach side parking etc. There are brands of butane stoves that also have the ability to connect to external propane tanks, if Iwatani ever makes one we might have to check it out.