Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Richmond, Virginia, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
columbo
Member #

So I'm out in the woods enjoying the day with my dog and cousin, find a spot for the night and commence to settin up camp. After a cocktail or two I decide to get to cooking when I found my trusty ole Coleman multi-fuel is leaking fuel into the bottom pretty bad....too bad to safely use. So I now find myself in need of another stove so I ask all the pro's out there in "over land" (dad joke) what are you using and what, if anything do you like most about it?
Has anyone tried the Lodge Sportsman grill?

Last edited:

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Looks heavy. Notice they didn't mention weight. Other than that looks solid and would work. I use this because it packs well and a 5 lb propane and extended line works for me. I also carry a small backpacker burner for backup. I mostly heatl water for coffee so...

Reactions: cookiedough

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Camping stove is a wide field and there are so many different types. Fuel, number of burners, size, pack size, weight, etc. It really depends on what you want to do with it. 4 course meal or just cook a coffee and a small dish for two? For us, a single burner stove is enough for two people, even if we are on the road for several months.

For many years I used a Coleman gasoline single stove and was always satisfied with it. But at some point the pumping and re-pumping and comparatively heavy annyoed me a bit. Plus on the road with the dualsport bike the fuel came for it just from the fueltank, which was ok, but in the rig which is a diesel truck I had to carry an extra jerry can then and a funnel. From time to time the fuel spilled over filling it up and so on...

Then about ten years ago I tried something new and have been using a Primus Gravity gas stove ever since. Very simple, super light, small pack size. It works perfectly for me, burns cleanly. Gas cartridges have been available everywhere we've traveled on the globe. And otherwise there are a lot of adapters for it. And with the standard or, if it gets even colder, the "winter gas", it works perfectly in cold weather. I have used it down to about minus 25 degrees Celsius, or about minus 12 degrees F.

However, what broke twice was the piezo igniter, but we even got a replacement part for that on our trip through North America a few years ago at Canadian Tire. In the meantime, as far as I know, the igniter design has been changed on the newer Primus gas stoves anyway.

Some time ago Primus had a "Service for a reason" campaign , where broken Primus camping stoves got repaired for free if possible. A great offer as I think, because far too much is thrown away, even gear that can still be repaired. Repair instead of replace is my motto. So I sent the stove to the manufacturer as part of this campaign and was curious to see how it would come back.

And the stove was back super fast and top repaired, cleaned, new piezo ignition installed and running like the first day! And this for a stove that is already some years old!

Just my little experience report, maybe it helps you. There are certainly many more ideas and experiences here. Let's see what else comes.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I’m usually packing the MSR whisper light international instead of my propane single or double burners. I don’t even care that it is compact or light weight, I just like a burner that puts out tons of heat.

Something else we like is our Dash electric skillet. We got it for highway road trips and campgrounds where I’ll find a place to pull over, plug it into the inverter and cook something quick and easy. I’m looking into the induction but worried that it won’t work with my inverter.

slightNine

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Yukon, OK, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hutton
Member #

I've got several that we use for different types of camping/cooking.

I always have a biolite camp stove in the truck. Great little single burner that can run off nearly any flammable solid and as a bonus makes electricity while it's hot. There is a grill accessory available for it that rules for brats/sausage. It's pot base is fussy and a bit tippy.

Then there's the jet boil 2 burner. Love this one. Really hot if you need it to be, best simmer control I've seen yet. Can accommodate larger cookware. It's weighty and wouldn't be suited to backpacking. This one goes car/tent camping with us.

Then there's the beast. I've got an Outland firebowl propane fire pit that I use a 17 cast iron skillet on. I had to find a grate to fit on it for this, but there are combo fire pit/cookers out there for some $ already put together. It's big, heavy, and awesome. We use the fire pit as intended all the time, with the bonus of it being a stove as well. A pretty darn good one at that. We take this one when we take the trailer out.

Krusty

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Richmond, Virginia, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
columbo
Member #

Camping stove is a wide field and there are so many different types. Fuel, number of burners, size, pack size, weight, etc. It really depends on what you want to do with it. 4 course meal or just cook a coffee and a small dish for two? For us, a single burner stove is enough for two people, even if we are on the road for several months.

For many years I used a Coleman gasoline single stove and was always satisfied with it. But at some point the pumping and re-pumping and comparatively heavy annyoed me a bit. Plus on the road with the dualsport bike the fuel came for it just from the fueltank, which was ok, but in the rig which is a diesel truck I had to carry an extra jerry can then and a funnel. From time to time the fuel spilled over filling it up and so on...

Then about ten years ago I tried something new and have been using a Primus Gravity gas stove ever since. Very simple, super light, small pack size. It works perfectly for me, burns cleanly. Gas cartridges have been available everywhere we've traveled on the globe. And otherwise there are a lot of adapters for it. And with the standard or, if it gets even colder, the "winter gas", it works perfectly in cold weather. I have used it down to about minus 25 degrees Celsius, or about minus 12 degrees F.

However, what broke twice was the piezo igniter, but we even got a replacement part for that on our trip through North America a few years ago at Canadian Tire. In the meantime, as far as I know, the igniter design has been changed on the newer Primus gas stoves anyway.

Some time ago Primus had a "Service for a reason" campaign , where broken Primus camping stoves got repaired for free if possible. A great offer as I think, because far too much is thrown away, even gear that can still be repaired. Repair instead of replace is my motto. So I sent the stove to the manufacturer as part of this campaign and was curious to see how it would come back.

And the stove was back super fast and top repaired, cleaned, new piezo ignition installed and running like the first day! And this for a stove that is already some years old!

Just my little experience report, maybe it helps you. There are certainly many more ideas and experiences here. Let's see what else comes.
Looks like you have a lot going on and I appreciate you taking the time to respond with something helpful. I've never heard of Primus but the product line reminds of a cross between Coleman and MSR. I like the customer service aspect, something I wish more companies would take seriously

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We use the Kovea Slim Twin, its super light, one of the few that uses a flexible fuel hose that stores inside. works great with the Omni Oven for baking and has good low heat simmer abilities. usually fuel it from a 5lb cylinder with a 1lb green bottle for backup. for meals that just need hot water we use the jet boil flash.
1674665913204.png

Krusty

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Richmond, Virginia, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
columbo
Member #

I've got several that we use for different types of camping/cooking.

I always have a biolite camp stove in the truck. Great little single burner that can run off nearly any flammable solid and as a bonus makes electricity while it's hot. There is a grill accessory available for it that rules for brats/sausage. It's pot base is fussy and a bit tippy.

Then there's the jet boil 2 burner. Love this one. Really hot if you need it to be, best simmer control I've seen yet. Can accommodate larger cookware. It's weighty and wouldn't be suited to backpacking. This one goes car/tent camping with us.

Then there's the beast. I've got an Outland firebowl propane fire pit that I use a 17 cast iron skillet on. I had to find a grate to fit on it for this, but there are combo fire pit/cookers out there for some $ already put together. It's big, heavy, and awesome. We use the fire pit as intended all the time, with the bonus of it being a stove as well. A pretty darn good one at that. We take this one when we take the trailer out.
Looks like you've covered all the bases!!

Krusty

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Richmond, Virginia, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
columbo
Member #

Looks heavy. Notice they didn't mention weight. Other than that looks solid and would work. I use this because it packs well and a 5 lb propane and extended line works for me. I also carry a small backpacker burner for backup. I mostly heatl water for coffee so...

Ahhh yes, ole reliable!! Looking at the prices of some of these I'm probably going for some version of that one. Tried and true but with so many out there now it's a little tougher to decide

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Yep, easy to unlimber. I got a padded case from BPS that keeps the scratches and dust to a minimum plus I stow my braided hose and a butane torch in it...never cared much for piezo lighters cause they gonna die sooner than later. Just buy a gross of refillable butane torches to stick everywhere. They are wind proof and seem to last. I could go for the Jet Boil but what's few extra minute vs. the money. And, propane is cheaper especially at Costco. I must have over a dozen different burners for various uses but for road travel the Coleman is a good all-round tailgate to mounted bottle boil, fry, heat, whatever I need. Don't have to baby it. Easy to clean. Stable work surface. The Dude abides!

NM95Bronco

Rank III

Member I

First Name
greg
Last Name
green
Member #

Jetboil Genesis, after years I finally bought the one I love the most. Consistent flame, right where I want it for delicate or full blast cooking!

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

NM95Bronco

Rank III

Member I

First Name
greg
Last Name
green
Member #

genocache is right, there are so many parts for the tried and true cook setup. Coleman was my go-to for years!

Reactions: genocache

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I own way to many back packing and camping stoves. I love my Camp Partner. The thing is bomb proof, best built I have ever owned. I love the simmer control and the speed it makes my coffee. I have seen and be impressed by the jet boils stoves also. I love being able to use Propane / natural gas where I go however.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Coleman even the old 2 burner propane are easy to find used, still my go to.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Get another Coleman. A new one will last another 20 years or so with proper maintenance. Leaking? I learned to depressurize mine before traveling. The fuel knob is very easy to accidentally get turned on while traveling.
Good point. I always close the tank valve, then open the knob on the stove for 2 seconds just to release a little pressure. Then disconnect line from stove and tank. Not sure I was really doing any good, it just seemed like a logical progression. Also, besides being nearly indestructible, the Coleman is simple and easy to disassemble for cleaning. Again, I found a padded carry bag at Bass Pro that helps protect from me.

socal geek guy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

i ended up with the classic coleman as well. i tried a couple small stoves and just ended up liking the classic coleman one best. its nice when you're needing to heat two items at the same time so that you don't have one part of your meal colder than another part, especially in the colder months. its not nearly as compact as some stoves on the market, but its not really that bad. i find it thin enough to slide it in spots between totes and its good. doesn't weight a huge amount either, but the lid and side wings are nice for deflecting wind. sometimes old designs just work. also hard to beat the price for what you get.

i also saw in one of the overland bound videos a year or two ago where they were reviewing some gear and they mentioned the SUPRUS lighter. I got one and love it, then ended up getting a couple for friends that i go camping with because they liked mine. the charge lasts quite a while and it works perfect with this stove. no hassle with fuel, just plug it into the charger in your car or on a power bank and you're good to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: FishinCrzy

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I too had a Coleman multifuel stove. Kept getting tired of how much fuel I was using, having to pressurize it, leaky issues like you experienced. Fixed the stove but it wasn't enough for me to keep from buying a vintage propane stove to fix up. Best decision was to go propane with a remote line for a larger tank. I also have a small, single burner stove from Snow Peak for hot water or a lightweight setup. Best to have options. Coleman isn't the best, but is affordable. I'd really like a Cook Partner stove but I don't need one.

Disco Patrol

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Oneida, NY
First Name
David
Last Name
Cruz
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
I have been using the Camp Chef Everest 2 burner stove for about 6 years now and it has been great for me. High output flames but propane isn't wasted. Durable and reliable. When I'm running solo, I use my Soto Windmaster, a backpacking stove I highly recommend. You can find the Camp Chef on sale from time to time.

Reactions: 15PSD