Fountain, Colorado, USA
First Name
Gordon
Last Name
Dixon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0RGD
Does anyone have any experience with Eylar Crossover aluminum storage boxes? I'm thinking of getting one to organize things in the back of my Jeep. I see the Zarges ones get very good ratings. They are out of my price range, though. I recently retired; and, am on a fixed income. The Eylar ones are about the most I can afford. Any experience or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I use an assortment of plano and mtm boxes. I have 6 68qt plano boxes and 3 56qt boxes.

I went with the planos because I can fit 6 of them in my trailer, and still have room for all of the chairs, tables, and other various items I need to fit.

Everyone I've talked to that has either the zarges or Wolfpack boxes love them though.

Reactions: madcratebuilder

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I do not have the Eylar aluminum cases, but I have had a few of their plastic hard shell cases for a few years. These are really no different than the Pelican equivalent. I'd venture to guess the same quality can be found in their aluminum cases.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Those Eylar cases look nice and a good price, I'd not heard of them before. For decades I've been using Rubbermaid Action Packers for my kitchen, food and firewood. I keep them inside the Rover so dust and rain aren't an issue. Rain/dust is not an issue if they are outside at camp. For other things I use Pelican cases I bought on Craigslist, much cheaper that way. The biggest fault with the Rubbermaid is I can't sit on them while camping, too flimsy, where the Peli's are great for sitting. The worst thing about getting large cases is putting too much weight in them so making them hard to move around. (don't ask me how I know!)

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
eylar boxes are mid-range to a hair under in quality. they are a lot less expensive than zarges because they are pretty thin walled. they have good features like corrugation on corners to strengthen it and keep it from racking and spring handles that wont lift up on their own and get caught on things. they look nice, but you can feel the cheapness when handling them. i had bought a similar box years back for tools and it was too lightweight and dented real easily and just underperformed.

i agree with @genocache on the action packers. probably 80% of the totes i use the most are my action packers and the other 20% are plano. when i traveled overseas as a diver years back, i wouldnt trust anything less than a pelican case to transport my dive hat and any electronics, but i find that pelican cases are a bit too heavy and very overbuilt for camping gear...maybe a drone and items like that.

amazon has a small eylar for $130...maybe get it and if it looks to be too flimsy, return it. i think they are a bit flimsy, but it might be perfect for what you want/need. opinions on things like this are rather subjective...

Lifesaver

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fountain, Colorado, USA
First Name
Gordon
Last Name
Dixon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0RGD
eylar boxes are mid-range to a hair under in quality. they are a lot less expensive than zarges because they are pretty thin walled. they have good features like corrugation on corners to strengthen it and keep it from racking and spring handles that wont lift up on their own and get caught on things. they look nice, but you can feel the cheapness when handling them. i had bought a similar box years back for tools and it was too lightweight and dented real easily and just underperformed.

i agree with @genocache on the action packers. probably 80% of the totes i use the most are my action packers and the other 20% are plano. when i traveled overseas as a diver years back, i wouldnt trust anything less than a pelican case to transport my dive hat and any electronics, but i find that pelican cases are a bit too heavy and very overbuilt for camping gear...maybe a drone and items like that.

amazon has a small eylar for $130...maybe get it and if it looks to be too flimsy, return it. i think they are a bit flimsy, but it might be perfect for what you want/need. opinions on things like this are rather subjective...

Thanks for that feedback. Lots of good replies here. I appreciate them all. Y'll. have me reevaluating my choices.

Reactions: grubworm

Enthusiast I

United States
First Name
Barry
Last Name
Nope
Local used Pelican/Hardigg cases were always an economical and well built solution for me. If anything goes wrong with them (rare), parts are easy to find and usually don't cost much.

They were so economical I replaced all the cheap plastic containers that we store holiday decorations and keepsakes up in the attic with used Pelican/Hardigg cases.

They are weather proof, fairly light weight, sturdy, and come in a huge varity of sizes.

Reactions: genocache

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Local used Pelican/Hardigg cases were always an economical and well built solution for me. If anything goes wrong with them (rare), parts are easy to find and usually don't cost much.

They were so economical I replaced all the cheap plastic containers that we store holiday decorations and keepsakes up in the attic with used Pelican/Hardigg cases.

They are weather proof, fairly light weight, sturdy, and come in a huge varity of sizes.

I had all my Christmas decorations in 1 of the largest Action Packers, when I got single and the kids left I gave it all to my daughter when she got married.

I like using either the 1500 or 1600 Pelican cases, they don't always fit some things like the Dutch oven and my 10° sleeping bag, so for those I have a couple of 1650's. I took off the wheels and handle and made some folding legs so they double as tables at camp.

Reactions: Gpschef