Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

You are much more prepared than I am. If I need a shower I just use the Helio Shower by Nemo. Your setup is definitely more robust than mine though.
I wanted something I could leave on all the time and not mess with. Just fill and pressurize. It will be used to wash off muddy kayaks, sandy feet, muddy shoes, etc. *much* more often than a shower.

Reactions: Rocky

BobG

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Angier, NC, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Gravelle
Member #

Steve, I've got a couple of questions about your build. Did you ever resolve the noise from the Yakima rack? Did you do any sort of a suspension lift or just tires? Do you know of any future group buys on the rock sliders? And finally... Do you have any skid plates added? I hope this isn't too much, I've been trying to follow your thread because I own a 2015 4Runner Trail Premium and I'm about to start building, but it will be one or two things a year at first. I'd like to do tires, wheels, suspension, sliders, and skid plates so that I can feel safe on some of the trails nearby. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

FrankR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chico, Ca
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Rebelo
Member #

After creeping on your build thread. I totally recognize you from T4R.org. Great write up on the Baja Designs Fogs, with very consistent photos to back it up. It was definitely a factor that helped me purchase mine.

BobG

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Angier, NC, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Gravelle
Member #

Well, that's really disappointing! I took it out on the highway after I posted the photos, and it thrums horribly! I can feel it through the whole vehicle, and feeling the headliner, it noticeably shakes.

I had this happen when I mounted the basket/fairing/LED bar on my Outback, but the basket was way up in front of the sunroof. Moving it back 4" completely eliminated the problem.

But with the 4Runner, the basket is already as far back as it can go, starting behind the sunroof. It might be the folded kayak racks. I'll try it again with them upright, and then take them off and see if that helps. Or try moving everything forward a bit.

I've got a lot invested in these racks, and would hate to have to go a different route now...
Steve, I've got a couple of questions about your build. Did you ever resolve the noise from the Yakima rack? Did you do any sort of a suspension lift or just tires? Do you know of any future group buys on the rock sliders? And finally... Do you have any skid plates added? I hope this isn't too much, I've been trying to follow your thread because I own a 2015 4Runner Trail Premium and I'm about to start building, but it will be one or two things a year at first. I'd like to do tires, wheels, suspension, sliders, and skid plates so that I can feel safe on some of the trails nearby. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Hi Bob,

No problem at all asking questions! Well, I sort of have resolved the noise from theYakima LoadWarrior. It is off the truck and in the barn. There's a Prinsu Design full length rack in the garage just waiting to be installed. :)

No suspension change at all, just the slightly oversized tires. And no skid plates. I figure the Trail Edition is already incredibly capable out of the box, and for my expected use, I don't plan on making too many changes. Once I get to the point that I start dragging on the bottom and the OEM skids don't hold up, *then* I'll consider replacing them. Same with the suspension.

C4 Fab just had another group buy that closed March 3rd over on T4R.org Keep an eye on the Group Buy forum over there for some good deals: Group Buys

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

maybe you might want to sell the extension from your Load Warrior to me?
Hi Joe! When I assembled the LoadWarrior and extension, I used silicone sealant between all the pieces and fasteners to keep water out. Then I painted the entire assembly with several coats of chassis paint to add another layer of protection. Who knows if it will ever come apart. At this time, I don't plan to sell the basket. I might get a trailer, and it would work great on top of that.

Good luck!

BobG

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Angier, NC, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Gravelle
Member #

Hi Bob,

No problem at all asking questions! Well, I sort of have resolved the noise from theYakima LoadWarrior. It is off the truck and in the barn. There's a Prinsu Design full length rack in the garage just waiting to be installed. :)

No suspension change at all, just the slightly oversized tires. And no skid plates. I figure the Trail Edition is already incredibly capable out of the box, and for my expected use, I don't plan on making too many changes. Once I get to the point that I start dragging on the bottom and the OEM skids don't hold up, *then* I'll consider replacing them. Same with the suspension.

C4 Fab just had another group buy that closed March 3rd over on T4R.org Keep an eye on the Group Buy forum over there for some good deals: Group Buys
Steve, thanks for the reply. Your information is helpful!

Reactions: Rocky and Steve

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

It's been a long time since there have been any updates to this thread. That changed yesterday. After a long wait, we had a Prinsu Party yesterday. Five local 4Runner owners installed two of the three full-length Prinsu racks, and we'll do the third probably next week.

Mine was the second installed, and it went much quicker than the first, having learned some techniques the first time around. Drilling the two holes in the roof didn't cause me any concern like some folks have had. A step drill made easy drilling, and things lined up perfectly!

I also added the Gobi ladder and upgraded lift gate struts yesterday.

Today, I started mounting stuff to the PrinSu rack.

Here are some quick photos of the PrinSu full-length roof rack with the Gobi ladder, the 32" OPT7 LED light bar from my Outback, and a RoadShower 2. I'll take better photos later.

I've put it off way too long with the weather (we just turned our outside hoses on a week ago!) and some extended family issues, but I'm going to do a full review (hopefully with video) of the Road Shower. I'm looking forward to putting it to the test now that the rack is finally on the 4Runner!

Hey @SLO Rob I forgot to ask if these modifications are okay with you, and if you minded if I drilled into the roof of my 4Runner? ;)

IMG_3356-X3.jpg IMG_3359-X3.jpg IMG_3360-X3.jpg IMG_3364-X3.jpg IMG_3365-X3.jpg IMG_3368-X3.jpg IMG_3369-X3.jpg 17990751_1031725513624020_3994784035401201724_n.jpg 18010552_1031725553624016_8625849331815826545_n.jpg 18010667_1031725486957356_2210286531385773427_n.jpg 18057118_1031725466957358_6150366418062828649_n.jpg

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Hey @SLO Rob I forgot to ask if these modifications are okay with you, and if you minded if I drilled into the roof of my 4Runner? ;)

You mean my 4Runner? ::coughs::
Yeah! Looks awesome! Keep it up!

Reactions: Steve

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I have a dumb question...is there a benefit to a flat rack with no raised sides to it. that looks like you cant stand on it. or can you?
We'll see! I had to do something, because the system I had before was so loud that at highway speeds you had to yell to talk to the passenger. Most platform racks have fairly shallow sides, and rely on strapping or bolting everything down.

The rails are supposed to be strong enough to stand on. Some people have used chicken coop flooring and attached it to the cross bars to provide a solid floor, but that sounds like it might be quite a noise make, too. I'll be attaching a couple plates for mounting MaxTrax and jerry cans, and might use those to support a chair for elevated photography at some point.

I'll let you know how it works out.

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Gotcha. Just to put the info out there the Gobi rack is very very solid. the stealth Gobi rack has lower rails than the regular rack but still has the added security of the raised rails.. It has a mesh bottom on it you can stand on up to 300 lbs. Built in light mounts and is not noisy. Quite easy to install and no drilling. It runs the length of the roof. The only down side is they are a bit pricey but you get what you pay for and
its the last rack you would ever have to purchase! They are bullet proof!

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@DRW'S Hi-Yo-Silver Aside from price (this was about $750 or half of the K2 rack I was considering) you forgot the biggest negative of the Gobi for those of us in the north. It would be an unsightly pile of rust inside two years with road salt and pre-spray that's used to excess on the roads. I'm long finished with having streaks from rusty water running down my vehicle. Reports on other forums have the Gobi rusting more than other steel brands.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I put the ARB 2500 awning on the new PrinSu rack today. I was going to use spacers off of the side rails, but the cover rested on the paint. Instead, I used a pair of Foxwing awning brackets, which worked great. This will be easier to remove, too.

IMG_3372-X3.jpg IMG_3375-X3.jpg IMG_3376-X3.jpg IMG_3377-X3.jpg

Reactions: RAngone

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Okay this is the last batch of photos for a while. These have most of the gear in place, plus some overall vehicle shots. The MaxTrax aren't mounted yet, but that's where the pins will be located. I'm pleased with the layout, with plenty of room for storage on the rack. I need yo move the Overland Bound badge again, because it is behind the Gobi ladder.

DSC_2299-X3.jpg DSC_2275-X3.jpg DSC_2277-X3.jpg DSC_2278-X3.jpg DSC_2276-X3.jpg DSC_2291-X3.jpg DSC_2301-X3.jpg DSC_2303-X3.jpg