Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
A lot of us just carry our smartphones with built-in GPS, and use Gaia or other apps to plot our courses. But I know many of us also use standalone GPS devices. What devices do you use, and what features do you like? I'm thinking this would be a good thing to add to my kit...

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I have always had a handheld GPS as part of my gear for use on/off-road, hiking and backpacking. In 2014 I picked up a Garmin Montana 600T that has served me very well. It sits in a suction cup mount on the left side of my dashboard and gets used everyday with the most used function being the speed data which works as a digital speedometer that is easier to reference while driving. The unit has 100k topo maps preinstalled for the US but I can customize by installing additional maps. Currently running 24k topo for the Southwest.

IMG_0992.JPG

Last edited:

DiegoDA

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cody, WY, USA
Member #

I have always had a handheld GPS as part of my gear for use on/off-road, hiking and backpacking. In 2014 I picked up a Garmin Montana 600T that has served me very well. It sits in a suction cup mount on the left side of my dashboard and gets used everyday with the most used function being the speed data which works as a digital speedometer that is easier to reference while driving. The unit has 100k topo maps preinstalled for the US but I can customize by installing additional maps. Currently running 24k topo for the Southwest.

View attachment 15238
I have the Montana 700 and I love having it, rarely use it in my vehicle but when I do it's because I'm in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Captain Josh

Baby Jeep Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ottawa
Member #

I need a gps unit for my jeep. I need to be able to download and view track files (such as gpx) not just rout info. Being able to creat my own tracks would be awsome.
I have my tracks on my phone but it doesn't get signal most places.
Any suggestions??
Anything for $200 or less?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using OB Talk mobile app

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Shoot, I just realized you're in Canada. I have family in Canada and I know the prices are higher up north. You may want to make a trip to the States if you live near the border.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using OB Talk mobile app

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Why not a tablet with built in GPS? Or you could get a GPS receiver that links via Bluetooth to your phone. I'm using a duel skypro gps receiver. Itd under 100 bucks.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
I think a tab would be great in my vehicle, but what about when I go into survival mode? I'm not convinced a tab would give me enough longevity and juice - obviously this depends on how far out I am!

CPO Flatrock

Rank 0

Contributor I

I carry 2, sometimes 3 tablets, Garmin Glo, the cell phone, a stand alone Garmin handheld, cables for all of them to charge and a BUNCH of AA batts for the handheld.
"one is none, two is one and several...well, I make it back out!"

STPICKENS

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Evansville, WY, USA 82636
First Name
SHAUN
Last Name
PICKENS
Member #

Here's my set up. I pad mini running Gaia mounted to dash. With a dual sky pro for gps and my iPhone as back up running motion x. Plus paper maps as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk