-Clutch Replacement
-Re-Built Transmission
-New Steering Rack
-Replaced Tie Rods
-New Power Steering Belt
-New Alternator Belt
-New Air Conditioning Belt
-New OEM Lower Ball Joints

Really want to get into more overland style offroading. Few things I want to get soon are snorkel, full length roof rack, and then also increase my rear storage size so that I can make it into an extra sleeping area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustin S. Godtfring

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Very nice!

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

you know @SRQ-Runner , I've seen some guys wheel 2wd 4Runners and had no idea they weren't 4x's. Its a pretty fine dance between momentum and traction, but they will absolutely surprise you. They're very balanced and capable. I may need to steal some of your ideas for mine...

Spyduh

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bay Area
Member #

If you want 4wd... read this.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/61636-cobs-4runner-timeline-pic-heavy.html

Seriously tho... You are better off (financially) selling it and buying another 4runner with 4x4!

Emotionally you are probably attached to your current T4R. If you really want 4x4, I recommend you just say good bye and buy an already overland built 4x4. MUCH MUCH CHEAPER.

Now if you go ahead with that conversion, I guarantee in 5 years you'll look back and say "wtf was I thinking dumping all that money for a conversion, I should have just sold it and bought an already overland ready 4runner".

SRQ-Runner

Rank 0

Traveler I

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

I love my STT's, but they are coming to the end of their life. I'll probably be upgrading to 33s this coming summer but I haven't decided what tire I want to run yet. They will probably be a little less aggressive as I drive 350 miles each direction to visit home from college and the 4runner is my DD.

Although I wish it was 4wd, I have been very impressed with what she has done. I would love to do a 4wd conversion but she is my DD so I can't be down for that long. Financially, I don't want to mess with selling and buying vehicles at the moment. Right now I'm hoping to find a E-locker that I can through in the back with some 4:10 or 4:30 gears for when I upgrade to 33s. I could see my self doing a solid axle swap down the road, not one of the crazy I lifted it 8" solid axle swaps, but something that get's me 4wd and has me at about 4-5" of lift. Then I don't have to worry about running any sort of body lift.

On Friday I got my rear bumper installed (she is a work in progress). I'm going back to the shop on Monday and getting some gaps adjusted. Also going to take some off of the lower portion by the wheel well as I don't want to cause a rubbing issue with tires. I see a lot of potential with the bumper though. She still needs a good coat of paint on her, but figured I'd wait till I'm done cutting her up. Could definitely hold a tire carrier in the future;) Here are some pictures:

011756eeebb4c439ec70449f3e421af2.jpg
fe6db12497e02c8f010015008958a0ce.jpg

SRQ-Runner

Rank 0

Traveler I

Haven't been on here in a while but the app makes it a lot easier for me to a get a quick post together! Sitting a little different then last time I posted.

Late December I added some retrofit headlights along with redoing my grille:

Also got a body lift on to help with some of the rubbing with the new bumper:

Got a set of cubes facing backwards that are attached to my roof rack with some washers and bolts to work with the stock rails:

I then got some new shoes! 33x12.5x15 Cooper STT pros! Also got a CB antenna mount and firestik 4':

And just recently I got a hitch carrier and mounted a 33x12.5x15 KO on it that I got on a CL for $80!

Here's a short drone video from last week!

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

SRQ-Runner

Rank 0

Traveler I

@SRQ-Runner Do you have a picture of the hitch mount from the side? How does it effect departure angles?
Here is how mine sits with the bumper. As you can see my bumper is a lot closer to the body so I probably still have a better angle then someone with a stock bumper. I could easily push the carrier closer and drill another hole but I'm probably going to mount some jerry cans on it so I want the space between the hatch and the carrier. There is about 10-12" from the hatch to the vertical bar which seems like a lot but with the angle in it, the tire sits closer to the hatch.

SRQ-Runner

Rank 0

Traveler I

Yeah, you're right, mine would be out farther. Hmmm...
Well you could just push the carrier closer to the bumper so that it only sits about 2 or 3 inches back from the bumper as it will still be far enough back from the hatch. So the plating that the pin goes into is maybe a inch behind the hitch.