Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, Ca
First Name
Will
Last Name
P
Member #

I will be making our first trip to DV with my family from the 10th-15th. I will definitely stop in the campground to meet you Bob and hopefully get some insider info on where to camp while exploring.

elanlb

Rank II

Contributor III

Oakland, CA, USA
First Name
Elan
Last Name
Bustos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7HGR
@PortageBay Thanks for all the info! I see the road to Mahogany Flat is supposed to be closed until April 15. Do you know if it might open before then, or is there just too much snow? We have a trip planned in the first few days of April and wrote down Mahogany Flat for one of our camping nights. We also wanted to hike Telescope Peak, but it looks like that's closed too. Any idea if this part of the park will open soon?

Reactions: WTSMatt

PortageBay

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Tucson, AZ United States
First Name
Bob
Last Name
McNamara
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KDØWBK
Spring is the best time to visit Death Valley. I work for the National Park Service as a volunteer and will be here from 1/16/21 to 4/15/21. With 40 years of playing in this desert I can help you out with maps, GPX files and suggestions for adventure. Come on out!
HI, any updates on Saline Valley pools being reopened?
They have been refilled and ready to go (with social distancing). Dive in!

Traveler III

West Hills, Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Twomey
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Heading up just after Easter, most likely April 6th for a couple of nights. What are the spring break crowds like, are they gone by then? Planning in Wildrose Campground unless Mahogany or Thorndike are open by then. Then heading out to Eureka Dunes, then down to Big Pine. Will definitely stop by to say hi and get some insight on DV. This will be my second trip, first one was pre-covid. Thanks,

Last edited:

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
I’ve been debating between headed out 395 or down to DV starting 3/28. Think I’ve settled on DV due to a lot of the stuff I’d like to see/do off 395 is still too winterey or closed. Never been to DV and looking to do some dispersed camping and exploring.

Reactions: Jeepin It Simple