First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Mayo
Member #

Service Branch
Vet

Epic 6 day Adventure!

Feel free to drop in and drop out at any Rally Point that works for you!

Starting from Paulina Lake near Bend, Oregon, we'll hit Devil's Garden Lava Beds, Christmas Valley Sand Dunes, A6 Crash Site, the Alvord Desert, and Owyhee Canyons. Then I'll be handing the reins to Mac, who will guide us around SW Idaho for a couple days.

I should be good by then. Having knee surgery on the 9th of Feb.

Reactions: a12houk

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I know that area VERY well. Feel free to ask me any questions.

I also want to mention I don't see a start date listed on the rally point.

Reactions: a12houk and M Rose

a12houk

Rank VII

Off-Road Ranger I

Rochester, Washington, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Houk
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRQJ715
I know that area VERY well. Feel free to ask me any questions.

I also want to mention I don't see a start date listed on the rally point.
Hey Brian
I'm not sure how you were viewing - might be a technical glitch somewhere.
I definitely prefer the computer version of rally points over the mobile version.

I'm departing from Washington on Monday, April 3rd -
By Tuesday night we should be overlooking the Owyhee River SE of Burns, OR -

Wednesday & Thursday (5th & 6th of April) we'll be touring the Owyhees -
Would love to have you join us if you can swing it.

Thursday night we're meeting up with another member who will take the reins and guide us around SW Idaho on Friday and Saturday.

Then I need pretty much all day Sunday to get home for work on Monday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark_1ceea3

Roverunner

Rank II

Contributor II

Portland, Washington County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Troy
Last Name
Sanders
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Roverunner
Hey all,

This will be my first group trek through OB. Happy to join if you’ll have me and looking forward to it!

First two days are a lock at this point. Hopefully that holds and I can make the whole week work.

As we get closer, happy to caravan up with any Portland folks planning the Monday morning start.

Troy

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Epic 6 day Adventure!

Starting near Bend, Oregon, we'll hit Devil's Garden Lava Beds, Christmas Valley Sand Dunes, A6 Crash Site, the Alvord Desert, and Owyhee Canyons. Then I'll be handing the reins to Mac, who will guide us around SW Idaho for a couple days.

We could see a touch of snow, and it could be a bit chilly at night. Spring can be unpredictable in terms of weather.

Sounds like a great track, hope you can add it to the app when you are done.

a12houk

Rank VII

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Houk
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Epic 6 day Adventure!

Starting near Bend, Oregon, we'll hit Devil's Garden Lava Beds, Christmas Valley Sand Dunes, A6 Crash Site, the Alvord Desert, and Owyhee Canyons. Then I'll be handing the reins to Mac, who will guide us around SW Idaho for a couple days.

We could see a touch of snow, and it could be a bit chilly at night. Spring can be unpredictable in terms of weather.

Sounds like a great track, hope you can add it to the app when you are done.
Last summer I tried to record a track and it didn’t work. Hoping it was a bug that has been worked out.
I’ll try to do a test soon.

Reactions: Kent R

a12houk

Rank VII

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Houk
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hey all,

This will be my first group trek through OB. Happy to join if you’ll have me and looking forward to it!

First two days are a lock at this point. Hopefully that holds and I can make the whole week work.

As we get closer, happy to caravan up with any Portland folks planning the Monday morning start.

Troy
Let’s add a rally point in sandy around 9:00 am

Plan on a 9:30 departure.

Do you know a good spot to meet out there?

Roverunner

Rank II

Contributor II

Portland, Washington County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Troy
Last Name
Sanders
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Roverunner
Hey all,

Troy
Let’s add a rally point in sandy around 9:00 am

Plan on a 9:30 departure.

Do you know a good spot to meet out there?
Fred Meyer is Sandy is a good meeting spot. Plenty of fuel close to the parking lot, and my girl would kill me if we didn’t have a chance to stop in Tractor Supply next door. :)

a12houk

Rank VII

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Houk
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Also...
I posted a GPX of the planned route through the Owyhees. 425 miles is too long for 2 days to truly enjoy the area. Especially if we are going to try to do the 3 mile hike in Juniper Gulch, hit a hot spring or two, and try to spot the Pronghorn herd.
Just so you're aware, that will mean a hard day on Monday with likely finding camp after dark.

Last edited:

a12houk

Rank VII

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Houk
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hey Crew. We're still 6 weeks out. As I do more research and planning, I'm concerned that there won't be enough hours in the day on Wednesday. Please speak up if you oppose skipping Christmas valley and the Lava beds south of Paulina Lake. I'm thinking we find the A-6 Crash site on Monday, then head out to the Day 2 camp site so we achieve an extra day in the Owyhees. PS: Remember swim suits. There are quite a few hot springs out there. I'm working on locating them and getting them marked in GaiaGPS.
Also... I posted a GPX of the planned route through the Owyhees. 425 miles is too long for 2 days to truly enjoy the area. Especially if we are going to try to do the 3 mile hike in Juniper Gulch, hit a hot spring or two, and try to spot the Pronghorn herd. Just so you're aware, that will mean a hard day on Monday with likely finding camp after dark.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
If I can swing it, I'd love to come and meet up with you guys on Friday night (6th?) and travel with you until Sunday.

@a12houk - do you or anybody else traveling with you have a satellite communication device? If so, I can give the group my zoleo number, and you can text me when you get to camp on Friday, and I'd leave after work.

I've gotta talk to the wife about it though, as I have another trip scheduled for the following weekend as well.

Leaving after work would give a chance to test out my new auxbeam 5d lightbar....

a12houk

Rank VII

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Houk
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Looks like we're in the vicinity of Banbury Hot Springs
@MarshallC is running that segment of the trip

I have a Garmin inReach Mini, so yes we can connect. Let's share those numbers DM though

I live near Olympia, WA so I need almost all of Sunday to get home. I'll be peeling off NLT 10:00 am on Sunday

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941

I have a Garmin inReach Mini, so yes we can connect. Let's share those numbers DM though

I live near Olympia, WA so I need almost all of Sunday to get home. I'll be peeling off NLT 10:00 am on Sunday
I grew up in western Washington, so I get what a haul that is. Most of my wife's family still lives in the auburn area.

I would just need to know the general area you're planning on being in Friday night, then actual GPS coordinates via satellite sms when you guys get to camp.

That would give me the direction I need to go when I get off work.

MarshallC

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Nampa, ID, USA
First Name
Marshall
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

I grew up in western Washington, so I get what a haul that is. Most of my wife's family still lives in the auburn area.

I would just need to know the general area you're planning on being in Friday night, then actual GPS coordinates via satellite sms when you guys get to camp.

That would give me the direction I need to go when I get off work.
The plan Friday night is camping at Banbury Hot Springs. Saturday will take us off Highway. But Friday is pavement touring

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
The plan Friday night is camping at Banbury Hot Springs. Saturday will take us off Highway. But Friday is pavement touring
Sweet. That's only about 1.5-2 hours from my house. @a12houk also has my zoleo number now as well, so I'll get a text when you guys get there with the location, just to be safe.

....if I can join you.

Reactions: MarshallC