Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

So I don't know about ya'll but I spent a lot of time sourcing lots of new stuff for my rig this winter... But now I've got a TON of stuff to start building, wiring, installing...Anyone else in the same boat? Need some help? I'm thinking about setting up some sort of meetup to do just that. Work on rigs, equipment setup etc. Does anyone local have a shop/space? (more room than a single car garage?) I've only got a small garage.

I'm looking to see if anyone else is interested in this kinda thing and we can hopefully plan something soon...

Here are some of the things I need to build install:

Fridge box with slide (build)
Fridge (install)
Solar panel and controller (install)
New Fogs with DRL (install)
Bull Bar Lights (install)
Switchpro 9100 (install)
Ground lights (install)
CB (install and tune)

What have you got to work on?

Who's interested?

-Aaron

Reactions: Sandpoint Steve

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

Right on! My switchpro should be showing up today. I'll be fabricating a mount and wiring it up this weekend, then I can start wiring in all the lights I've got sitting in my closet lol.

I've got enough room to work by myself in my garage, but this stuff is definitely more fun with friends! When you guys free? I'll bring the beer!

-Aaron

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Sweet! We have a solar panel too but we arent sure about hooking it up yet. Wanna pick your brain on that too. My folks bought it for their old boat and never used it and weve had it for 3 years...

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

Sweet! We have a solar panel too but we arent sure about hooking it up yet. Wanna pick your brain on that too. My folks bought it for their old boat and never used it and weve had it for 3 years...
Sweet! We'll definitely talk some shop. I've got so many ideas... I just need to start assembling them :)

Reactions: chuckoverland

Pau Hana Travels

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Spokane, WA
Member #

So I realize this thread is a little old but we leave for Alaska in a couple of weeks and need to do a few of these mods ourselves. If your still needing to do some tinkering let us know. Our to do list is a galley box and possibly solar. (We are well versed in solar, over 2000w on the roof of our motorhome installed ourselves. We are adding 400 more before we leave and may do something with our truck.

Reactions: Sandpoint Steve

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

Thanks for the offer! I'm basically done for now though.

I'm going to go a different direction with the solar panel and controller I think... I'm going to go with a Redarc so I can go the dual battery route and solar controller in one. So I've got to source all the parts for that project...

I'll probably be selling my Renogy rover controller if you need one. It's the one here: I haven't used it at all yet.

Have a great trip, and safe travels!
-Aaron

Pau Hana Travels

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Spokane, WA
Member #

If you have time to detour to Hope AK do it. Its a cute little town.
This is our second season up and there almost isn’t a road we haven’t touched. We spent summer of 2017 in Alaska and did it all. This summer we plan to slow down and just enjoy our favorite areas. And yes Hope is a cute little town. We stayed near there at Summit Lake and visited one August afternoon. It was a blast.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Ill just throw in my .02 here. I love "tech days" and getting together to share mechanical knowledge and or help each other. Speaking of, Ill be in my shop this Saturday doing some regular maintenance if anyone wants to swing by! I could also use a little help doing the cam TSB on my Escape...

Reactions: Aaron Niemi

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

Wish I could, I've got some truck projects I'd like to wrap up before overland rally as well... But I've got Family coming into town this weekend :-/

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Wish I could, I've got some truck projects I'd like to wrap up before overland rally as well... But I've got Family coming into town this weekend :-/
No worries Ill just bribe my neighbor with beer, or promise not to test fire engines with open headers at 3am anymore...

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Well its a good thing you didnt swing by, Saturday turned into a show. I got into the project and realized that I forgot some tools at work, so I had to take the Escape to the shop as my wife had the Terrain and was out and about. Then got home and couldnt do anything with a hot engine (the primary reason for doing all of this was changing spark plugs, and on Ford Modular engines its beyond critical to change plugs when cold). So I ended up mowing the lawn, lol. But I got my plugs and intake manifold gaskets changed this morning before work. I also found the few vacuum lines that the Escape has were in bad shape, so I replaced them too. I did however leave the valve cover reseal for another day, and as such didnt do the cam TSB.

Echelon

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Thanks for the offer! I'm basically done for now though.

I'm going to go a different direction with the solar panel and controller I think... I'm going to go with a Redarc so I can go the dual battery route and solar controller in one. So I've got to source all the parts for that project...

I'll probably be selling my Renogy rover controller if you need one. It's the one here: I haven't used it at all yet.

Have a great trip, and safe travels!
-Aaron
Have you done anymore on this? We recently acquired a Goal Zero Yeti 400 and want to mount a renogy panel to our rack. Does anyone have experience with mounting this and the options? I would it need it to ride verical on my rack or hang down over the rear hatch with being able to lift with the hatch.

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

Have you done anymore on this? We recently acquired a Goal Zero Yeti 400 and want to mount a renogy panel to our rack. Does anyone have experience with mounting this and the options? I would it need it to ride verical on my rack or hang down over the rear hatch with being able to lift with the hatch.
Yeah, I've got it all hooked up. I'm running a 100W Renogy panel flat on my rack and i've got my house battery linked with my starting battery so It charges on the go. I think with just the panel alone and staying in place I'd probably get 3-4 days on the house battery. Its just powering my fridge.

Since I've got the stock toyota roof rack, I just bought some Yakima (39H) mounts and fabbed up some brackets for the panel. It was relatively simple. When I upgrade my roof rack, I'll probably make it either removable or able to set it at an angle.

-Aaron