spices??

• HTML tutorial

Txdiamond17

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Collierville, Tennessee
Member #

I can cook anything with salt, black pepper, garlic powder and Tony Chachere’s. Pretty simple for us. Just carry the smallest containers each comes in. I sometimes use the premixed seasonings just for a change, but I always have the top 4.

Reactions: KerrClan74

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Sometimes I use those seven-day pill organizers like you always see on old folk's kitchen tables, and also re-use the tiny Bayer's aspirin bottles for stuff like that; the labels usually peel off quite easily. But generally for specialty spices I keep them in the containers they came in. They usually stay fresher that way and dispense better with lids you can set for scoop or sprinkle.

I keep it all in the camp kitchen/chuck box, always ready to go!

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

I have a set always in the kitchen box, salt, pepper, garlic powder, pepper flakes, and cinnamon all in original bottles. These get me through anything I need spur of the moment. But if I am planning a trip and a more extensive menu, I have a lock and lock that I put more spices in based on roughly planned menu. How they are packed depends on amount and type, usually ziplocks or small spice jars. Also Always have bottles Valentina and Cholula.

Don Meredith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greenville, SC
Member #

Prior to my last two trips I've been packing small amounts of the spices I use in the GSI containers. Keeping those full and rationing the spices while out on the trail has been one of my least favorite items in trip prep. For the last two trip, I'm bringing the small salt and pepper grinders and other spices in the 2oz containers they come in from the grocery store. I also bring a small nalgene of olive oil and another nalgene of a herbed olive oil and balsamic vinegar mix that I make from scratch for bread dip.

spices.jpg

KerrClan74

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portage, MI
Member #

I use the original containers from the store as well. It's just easier for me and I have room. Garlic, chili powder, Italian seasoning, cumin, paprika, onion powder, and salt and pepper grinders. Probably some I forgot as well. If I have recipes that call for something specific then I just pickup another container. I also bring the smallest containers I can find/ buy of olive oil for cooking mostly and canola oil for coating the discada and cast iron after cleaning. Usually there is a bottle of vinegar in there somewhere too, but think I will change that out for some infused balsamic vinegar and swap the regular olive oil out for infused as well. It all goes in the main kitchen tote in the trailer. There is always wine and beer that goes along that can be used in the cooking process in some form or other. Whether it goes into the food or the cook varies by quantity and recipe!

Reactions: Road

Romer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
First Name
Jerome
Last Name
Pollos
Member #

I'm lazy. I have a sealable squirt bottle with grapeseed oil (it's flavorless so you can cook anything with it, it has a high smoke point and coats the cast iron well) and a single shaker and mix in black pepper, white pepper, fine sea salt, paprika and granulated garlic. That's my go to for everything.

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

How many spices? I figured, "Heck, 4 or 5? That's including salt n pepper. What's the big deal?"

Liking the idea of setting up with uniform containers to make storing things easier, I picked up, Amazon as well, a dozen glass "spice jars". Kinda' like @Theodore Sharp above. (Didn't think of stainless, kinda jealous there.) I thought a dozen jars would be way more than adequate. Last night I sat down and started filling up the jars. I used up all 12! That was a bit of a shock. I had no idea I used so many spices. I bet I could easily use up another dozen to cover baking and more esoteric things like Curry etc.

Live and learn!

Sunday we head out and test our new spice set in the field. We'll see in a dozen is enough. :)

-jim lee

Reactions: ASRussell

Traveler I

I use old film canisters for salt and pepper. Time was you could get shaker tops for them. Other spices go in small plastic bottles I get from REI and I use the little liquor bottles (like on airplanes) for liquids like balsamic and other things

Reactions: Romer

4WLO

Rank 0

Traveler I

For my oils I use old saline bottles (nose spray kind). For my dry spices I use old tool holders (from uncoated tools only). They are roughly 4" long and just over .25" ID. I carry 5-6 of each spice. My containers are kinda small but I mostly solo. With the fam I just bring the whole bottle.

coffeeshark

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
dawn
Last Name
mcclure
I have a pretty decent Cajun seasoning recipe that I just have in a deli (or a bottle). And hot sauce. I don't really need anything else. I'll see if I can't dig it out from my storage unit or...wherever it is.

edit: I guess for as much as I use oils at work, I should bring some infused oils or Arbequina or something, but I'm always worried it'll leak. Vinegars too. *shrug*

Fish_into_gear

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Detroit, MI
Member #

Three I don't see suggested here yet that I usually bring are Old Bay, Cumin and Lemon Pepper. I bring these on every trip. They're unique tastes that can really jazz up a dish. The best thing I think about them is they give a unique and recognizable flavor profile (old bay - Cajun and mid-Atlantic; Cumin - middle eastern and Lemon Pepper Italian/Spanish/Mediterranean) without having to use a large quantity. I put a few teaspoons of each into a GSI Spice Missile along with garlic powder, salt and pepper and that takes care of dinners for several days of camp cooking.

Here's a link to the Spice Missile: https://www.rei.com/product/815538/gsi-outdoors-spice-missile

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

I store them in a small thermal insulated tote.
I make my own BBQ rubs: Cajun Style Rub, Beef All Purpose Rub, Philly Steak Seasoning from my old BBQ competition days.
I also carry Kosher Salt, Course Black Pepper, Season All & Cavenders.
View attachment 53424 View attachment 53425
Can I ask what Philly Steak seasoning is?
I grew up outside Philly and didn’t know we had a seasoning.

BayAreaTundra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Danville, CA
Member #

I can cook anything with salt, black pepper, garlic powder and Tony Chachere’s.
Tony Chachere's is my favorite. I use it on most things. My favorite is diced potato, butter, minced onion, salt, pepper and Tony Chachere's. Throw in tin foil. Put on grill/fire. Scoop out and enjoy.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I got a zipper bag that is mesh on one side and filled it with the shorty spice containers from the store. The last time I went out the only spice I didn't have that someone wanted was Turmeric. I'm going to wait to see what I run out of first and consider buying a larger size of that next time, but honestly, I'm fine blowing through an entire bottle of spice in one trip and replacing it if it means more variety.

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

Plastic ammo can. I’m lazy and bring them in whatever size they were when purchased.

That’s exacrly what we do too. Plus the metal ammo cans really put a good seal on things. I usually carry pepper, salt, Chinese five spice, garlic salt, Cajun seasoning and curry.

Reactions: ASRussell

BayAreaTundra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Danville, CA
Member #

That’s exacrly what we do too. Plus the metal ammo cans really put a good seal on things. I usually carry pepper, salt, Chinese five spice, garlic salt, Cajun seasoning and curry.
Hey man, notice your screen name. I used to work for Montana Dakota Utilities. You from the Bismarck, ND area?