Speedmasters Traction Tracks

• HTML tutorial

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

Been doing research on the different traction aids that are out there and came across these by Speedmasters.

I have no experience with these and no affiliation with the company. Just wanted to pass along some info.

PCE561.1002_cr.jpg

Currently they are currently 25% off the normal price of $103 on their own website and on Amazon.com.

You are basically getting a PAIR for around $77.50 SHIPPED!!

The Speedmaster company is based in CA and makes a lot of performance parts for many different applications. The company has had several Best of SEMA awards for their products.

I'm going to order a pair and see how they perform.

I know...I know...you get what you pay for. Buy once, cry once. I get it.

However, at the price they are being offered, they would pay for themselves the first time they get me unstuck even if they split down the middle or break or melt.

If they suck, then I'll reach out to Speedmasters and see where they stand on supporting their product. Worst case scenario is that I'm out $77.50.

I, for one would definitely post on these forums and give my more than honest opinion of their product and company, whether negative or positive.

If they survive more than several recoveries then I would say they are good to go for the price. As for the long term, we'll just have to see.

Not much out there in terms of real world reviews.

I found one youtube review on them by some guys based in Ontario, CA.

Anyone have them already?

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern California - San Fernando Valley
First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
O
Been doing research on the different traction aids that are out there and came across these by Speedmasters.

I have no experience with these and no affiliation with the company. Just wanted to pass along some info.

View attachment 16028

Currently they are currently 25% off the normal price of $103 on their own website and on Amazon.com.

The Speedmaster company is based in CA and makes a lot of performance parts for many different applications. The company has had several Best of SEMA awards for their products.

However, at the price they are being offered, they would pay for themselves the first time they get me unstuck even if they split down the middle or break or melt.

If they suck, then I'll reach out to Speedmasters and see where they stand on supporting their product. Worst case scenario is that I'm out $77.50.

I, for one would definitely post on these forums and give my more than honest opinion of their product and company, whether negative or positive.

If they survive more than several recoveries then I would say they are good to go for the price. As for the long term, we'll just have to see.

Oops! Just notice your youtube video link, sorry for the double post. Thanks for bringing this product to the attention of the OB community. I think most folks that have been on the fence deciding whether or not to purchase OEM Maxtrax recovery tracks, but don't want to take the hit to their wallets... would love a set of these!

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
O

Oops! Just notice your youtube video link, sorry for the double post. Thanks for bringing this product to the attention of the OB community. I think most folks that have been on the fence deciding whether or not to purchase OEM Maxtrax recovery tracks, but don't want to take the hit to their wallets... would love a set of these!
That was me for sure, was about to bite the bullet and order some tred 1100 or just build my own with 2x12 and some bolts or some horse stall matting but even then I'd still be out $80-$90.

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern California - San Fernando Valley
First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
I had been researching X-Bull tracks which are very similar to TREDS and are an Aussie based company as well. When they appeared on the seen just over a year ago they were affordably priced at just $100 and included a carry case, free shipping, the works... Now they are selling them here in the US for $200! (sometimes even more) So I'm thinking these Speedmasters may go up in price if the demand for them increases in the near future.

Reactions: Jelorian

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

It all comes down to how they perform and how they hold up. If they are even half as good as a set of Maxsa's which are double the price, or Maxtrax at quadruple, then they are worth it.

Just think that for close to the price of 1 set of Tred Pros or Maxtrax, you could get 4 sets of these Speedmasters.

I just hope that they are a decent product. If they pass my tests and if the feedback from others are positive, I'm going to buy several more sets.

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Influencer II

Yewtah
It all comes down to how they perform and how they hold up. If they are even half as good as a set of Maxsa's which are double the price, or Maxtrax at quadruple, then they are worth it.
I completely disagree. Gear works or it doesn't, it isn't scalable in a manner such as you suggest. If it breaks i. The middle of nowhere.... it's still broken in the middle of nowhere, the cost won't have mattered.

Then again, I'm to poor to buy cheap gear. Buy once, cry once,.

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

I completely disagree. Gear works or it doesn't, it isn't scalable in a manner such as you suggest. If it breaks i. The middle of nowhere.... it's still broken in the middle of nowhere, the cost won't have mattered.

I get what you are saying and I've bought cheap, and cried when it broke/failed/died. I've learned my lesson. I agree that for some cases gear either works or doesn't. A recovery rope holds or breaks. I get it.

But I disagree that there is no scale of how a certain traction aid works. I said half as good as the leading competitors. I didn't say fail completely. An inferior set could melt, break in half lengthwise, etc. but it could still work to some degree and hopefully get you out of a stuck situation. Some traction aids work well...some don't work as good, but can still get you out of a jam. Now if the device failed completely and didn't do it's job, then I agree with you.

Reactions: Lindenwood

Fakawi Tribe

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Fresno, CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Aguirre
Member #

View attachment 16028

@Mademan925 did a good comparison here. https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/index.php?threads/Traction-Board-Review.4254/

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733

I completely agree but I'm also not in the mindset of buying something just because it's expensive. If there is a lower cost alternative to something that is just as good then I think it's worth a look. Look at Yeti vs all the copy cat ones out there now as a prime example. Maxtrax has cornered the market but let's be honest it's a molded piece of plastic we drive on. It's only a matter of time before an alternative lower priced option comes out that is damn close to it. I'm hoping these are it, lol.