Specialty coffee setups (ultra coffee snobbery)

• HTML tutorial

scott17818

Rank IV

Influencer II

Midcoast Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Charlton
I carry multiple ways to make coffee.. one is in my Jetboil flash (either boil water, add instant coffee crystals (quick coffee for trailside), I also have some coffee singles (theyre like a teabag, but filled with coffee you steep in your cup (bit weak, but ok when in a rush). other is the jetboil french press (it leaks grounds into the coffee.. so I typically waste some coffee pouring into anther cup to avoid grounds in my coffee.. I also carry a Sea to Summit Collapsible SS mesh coffee filter, it takes some time, but makes a good cup, and is fairly easy to clean (shake grounds off, and then wash/rinse with the rest of the dishes). I also have a large kettle/french press (biolite) for if i am making coffee for multiple people. I can use either wood pellets, or sticks from the woods to run this.. or it will fit on my 2 burner stove.

Reactions: Road

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
The coffee I drink depends on what kind of camping I'm doing.

If I want to get on the road early or packed light, I'll be drinking this instant. By far the best I've ever had.

If I'm just camping in one spot for days, I'll pack a pour-over and grinder. My go-to bean is Don Pablo Signature Blend medium dark roast.

I'm going to have to give the Coladors a try though. That looks like the perfect lightweight alternative to a pour-over setup.

Reactions: FishinCrzy and Road

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Just got my colador filters recommended by @Road and it does as advertised. As a kid, I never knew coffee was anything but instant! I'll have to look for that Jacobs. I'll try anything once. Time and place for anything. Just been trying a dark roast from the Charleston Brewing Co. Threw the bag out...pretty sure it was Charleston.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Just got my colador filters recommended by @Road and it does as advertised. As a kid, I never knew coffee was anything but instant! I'll have to look for that Jacobs. I'll try anything once. Time and place for anything. Just been trying a dark roast from the Charleston Brewing Co. Threw the bag out...pretty sure it was Charleston.
Cool - hope you like them. I'm sure it may not the purest (or a purist's) way to make coffee, especially after the Colador has been used well and drains a bit slower, though it sure is the simplest and easiest for me both on the road and wherever I'm staying. I just got my new six pack of Coladors yesterday. They end up at a little over two bucks apiece, and for as long as I use them, that's a good deal.

coladors_5091-700.jpeg

I see a lot here saying Jet Boil. I use my Jet Boil Flash for heating water everyday when adventuring, but don't like to make coffee IN it, as I also use it for heating water for other things like backpacker meals, oatmeal, and hot chocolate, etc. I heat water in the Jet Boil to almost boiling, pour it over the Colador in my insulated travel mug, and heat more in the Jet Boil for whatever else while coffee's brewing. If I were to brew coffee in it, I would use it for only coffee.

Another product, and company, I like is Coffee Gator, which I first heard about three years ago from @theBROFESSOR in his coffee thread post about his travel mug and pour over. I bought one on his recommendation and still use the mug every day (same one in my images), though the stainless pour over is too limiting for me in that you have to tend it more than a colador and can only pour in a little water at a time, then wait, pour more, etc. It also holds enough grounds for only one mug, not multiple.

The mug though, is rugged and has a great sealing lid. I'll make a full mug of coffee, close it up, stick it in a saddlebag on my bike, and go riding. I've dropped it several times, bounced it out once onto pavement when going up over a curb and had to go back to find it. Still sealed, no spills, a bit dinged, but still in use hard after almost three years. It may be the same or similar travel mug bottom used by other companies and private-labeled, no idea, but I like the one I have more than other travel mugs I've had in past. It goes canoeing, biking, day hiking, and driving with me. I never use it for anything but coffee. Got one for my kid so mine wouldn't disappear.

Coffee Gator also makes a bunch of other great products for storing, making, and drinking coffee, including French Presses and grindes. I have their stainless steel canister for storing beans and grounds, though it usually stays home. It has a "degassing" valve to let out CO2 (even coffee in bags have a vent; that's what it's for) and a convenient magnetic, stainless steel scoop. Also a calendar dial on top for those who are fussy enough to want to know how long their coffee has been stored.

coffeegator-mugs-n-canister_5092-700.jpeg
Two CoffeeGator travel mugs and a CoffeeGator storage canister.

If you go to the Coffee Gator site, you often get 10% off first orders, and always get free shipping over $50. He also runs an informative insta page and has a bunch of good articles on coffee, brewing, storage, etc if you poke around links on his site.

Not affiliated or sponsored by him; I just like his products and like the way he runs his company.

Last edited:

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
So I guess I'm going to have to post a picture to keep up my skills/ego.

I got this 48 oz. thermos with two screw lid at Walmart this morning while waiting to see if I was going to have a reaction to my covid shot. I didn't. $20 seems worth it. Double walled and stainless. @Road I will try tomorrow to see how it works with the colador. I don't drink that much coffee a day but it may keep another day all sealed up. It keeps stuff cold too! How do it know??

Attachments

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

So I guess I'm going to have to post a picture to keep up my skills/ego.

I got this 48 oz. thermos with two screw lid at Walmart this morning while waiting to see if I was going to have a reaction to my covid shot. I didn't. $20 seems worth it. Double walled and stainless. @Road I will try tomorrow to see how it works with the colador. I don't drink that much coffee a day but it may keep another day all sealed up. It keeps stuff cold too! How do it know??
Cool. You got one of them smart thermos, eh?

I've kept fresh brewed coffee in the fridge for the next day sometimes, with no bad effect, though usually only drink one travel mug (16oz) a day, so just brew that amount most mornings. Hope it keeps it hot all day!

Reactions: FishinCrzy

overland.productions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Heath, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Rayne
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5ENL
I love coffee threads. Please tell me which weight you prefer for your grinds and to what quantity of water? Do you prefer 195 degrees? Do you prefer the grinds coarse or fine?

I rock the GSI Outdoors Java press. I carry an electric grinder and right now I have a huge bag of Starbucks Verano beans. Boiling water with Jetboil (one of two products). I prefer bottled water for the coffee but i'll take what I can get out in the field.

I took a coffee class at Overland Expo East with Daisson Hickel (www.thejavacan.com) and it was very informative. He has a passion for coffee and killing (active duty green beret). Look closely at his hawaiian shirt and you will know what I mean. He had coffee samples from all over the world and they were delightful.

IMG_4738.JPG

IMG_4739.JPGIMG_4746.JPGIMG_4747.JPGIMG_4748.JPGIMG_4749.JPGIMG_4737.JPG

Attachments

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

GSI Java Press.

I found it at Fleet Farm on clearance for $5.00

So good, I even use it for home use.:grinning:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I love coffee threads. Please tell me which weight you prefer for your grinds and to what quantity of water? Do you prefer 195 degrees? Do you prefer the grinds coarse or fine?

I rock the GSI Outdoors Java press. I carry an electric grinder and right now I have a huge bag of Starbucks Verano beans. Boiling water with Jetboil (one of two products). I prefer bottled water for the coffee but i'll take what I can get out in the field.

I took a coffee class at Overland Expo East with Daisson Hickel (www.thejavacan.com) and it was very informative. He has a passion for coffee and killing (active duty green beret). Look closely at his hawaiian shirt and you will know what I mean. He had coffee samples from all over the world and they were delightful.

View attachment 189512

View attachment 189513View attachment 189516View attachment 189517View attachment 189518View attachment 189519View attachment 189511
I like medium grind whether store bought or when I grind beans myself in the little manual hand grinder shown in the image below. It's a sweet little grinder with ceramic burrs (which won't heat up and affect fresh ground like steel will, they say) and can be adjusted from Coarse to Medium to Fine. Comes with an extra glass jar with lid for storing that day's grind if you need. Keep it out of the light if storing in it for a couple days.

Medium grind works best for me in the Coladors I like to use (the coffee socks in image below). I use an even 1oz of medium grind for a 16oz travel mug.

Whether using my Jet Boil Flash or tea kettle to heat the water, I pour it just before it boils, which would be around 200-205ºF, I guess. You can read a lot more about the fine points of making and drinking coffee at Coffeegators How To Drink Better Coffee guide.

I don't get too fussy about it all (I mean, I'm using a simple cotton sock to filter my grounds), but certain things just make sense when making and storing coffee from good coffee beans and grounds.

Once you have great coffee, it's hard to drink instant or really poorly made, bitter, coffee.

Starting one's morning with a rich, aromatic, well made cup of coffee just sets my day off on the right path.

colador_5060-700.jpeg

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
For the last few months I've been drinking cold brew coffee exclusively. It makes drinking coffee while traveling very easy. I bring a jar of concentrate, a measuring cup, and a kettle for boiling water. In the mornings, I but the water on to boil, add two ounce of concentrate to the measuring cup, when the water gets hot add six ounces of water, and then drink.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I have to admit, when we went Overlanding recently, I was drinking Woca-Cola Dark coffee soda. Pretty good, but I ended up feeling guilty!
View attachment 189988
ha! thats funny because i used to put instant coffee in coke. it fizzed up a lot, but tasted good and delivered decent caffeine and sugar

Reactions: SquishBang

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
ha! thats funny because i used to put instant coffee in coke. it fizzed up a lot, but tasted good and delivered decent caffeine and sugar
These are 18g of sugar compared to 39g for a can of Coca-Cola. Not too terribly bad. I found them quite refreshing in the AZ desert. Tastes like chocolate soda IMO

Reactions: grubworm and Road

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

Atwater, Merced County, California, United States
First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
It’s not the greatest option but if you use K-cups regularly at home, Presto has the MYJO. It’s a single serve 10oz, very inexpensive so definitely worth a shot. We boil water on stove and make a few cups very quick. Although not jet boil quick at least this method gives us options seeing how my wife and I enjoy different blends.

DrewKD

Rank V

Influencer II

Pasadena CA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Dancel
Member #

I use the Wacaco Nanopresso with the double shot attachment. I've been using it for a couple of years now. It works great! I do 1 part Espresso and 1.5 parts water. That makes for a 10oz Americano. I typically drink my coffee black so it may not be for everyone.
I prefer to use whole beans but then you need to bring a manual grinder along. Set the grinder to Coarse for best results. Too fine and it will be tough to pump.

overland.productions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Heath, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Rayne
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5ENL

View attachment 189512

View attachment 189513View attachment 189516View attachment 189517View attachment 189518View attachment 189519View attachment 189511
I like medium grind whether store bought or when I grind beans myself in the little manual hand grinder shown in the image below. It's a sweet little grinder with ceramic burrs (which won't heat up and affect fresh ground like steel will, they say) and can be adjusted from Coarse to Medium to Fine. Comes with an extra glass jar with lid for storing that day's grind if you need. Keep it out of the light if storing in it for a couple days.

Medium grind works best for me in the Coladors I like to use (the coffee socks in image below). I use an even 1oz of medium grind for a 16oz travel mug.

Whether using my Jet Boil Flash or tea kettle to heat the water, I pour it just before it boils, which would be around 200-205ºF, I guess. You can read a lot more about the fine points of making and drinking coffee at Coffeegators How To Drink Better Coffee guide.

I don't get too fussy about it all (I mean, I'm using a simple cotton sock to filter my grounds), but certain things just make sense when making and storing coffee from good coffee beans and grounds.

Once you have great coffee, it's hard to drink instant or really poorly made, bitter, coffee.

Starting one's morning with a rich, aromatic, well made cup of coffee just sets my day off on the right path.

View attachment 189551

I picked up one of those grinders. Looking forward to trying it

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

When I am on the motorcycle I often use instant to save the space. I used a stainless steal percolator for years and these days I often use the Stanley All -In-One Coffee System. If you want to check it out I posted a video featuring it on my YouTube page-

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i'm seriously checking this out. i drink coffee for the buzz, not the taste, so this is basically a quick and simple espresso maker with MEGA hipster points if i were to be seen using it in colorado, cali, washington state, etc....

1615421390706.png

Last edited:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I picked up one of those grinders. Looking forward to trying it
I think you'll like it. Brings a whole other deeper aroma, and richer tasting coffee, when you fresh grind your own in the morning when camping. Becomes a ritual and treat.