Launch Member

Advocate III

Vashon, WA 98070
First Name
MatthewAlan
Last Name
Thyer
Member #

I upgraded my van's shoes last week. Which maximized the size of the tire I can run without additional lift. The problem, the 30" BFG AT K/O2s won't fit in the spare cage behind the rear axle.

Right now I've "solved" the issue by removing the cage completely as well as the rear bench (which I don't really need). The spare is in the back laid over the axle to add more weight there. I've been researching ideas to make this a more secure installation, however, and your input is welcome.
  • Fabricate a rear bumper replacement with swing out carrier
  • Install an internal carrier (like a truck bed carrier)
  • Build the spare into the slide out kitchen I'll eventually install in the back
  • Some other thing

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
Had the same issue with my 4Runner. Portions of the KDSS system limited room in the spare compartment. Went with a CBI dual swing arm rear carrier. Been happy with it so far.

Excursioner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, Oregon
First Name
Ex
Last Name
Cursioner
Member #

I can relate. While my situation was a little different, I initially wanted the spare out of the rear compartment for space considerations because we sleep in the back of our excursion and the spare impinged on that area. I upgraded tires and rims, and the 34's no longer fit in the original spare compartment so up on the roof rack it went. Bad joojoo. All 135 lbs of spare made my center of gravity taller to where I could feel it in corners and to bring down the tire in the event of needing to change a spare was a real chore requiring a stable ladder to do it safely. When was the last time you travelled with a ladder? So I found a local bumper company to make a rear bumper with swing arm for the spare, oh and added a rear winch as well which is awesome!! This made a world of difference.

Excursion B4.jpeg Rear Bumper Finished 2.jpg Rear Bumper Finished.jpg

Last edited:

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

On Land Rover LR4s, you can slightly deflate a tire around 32" and still fit it up under the rear, but beyond that, a tire swing on a bumper.

I only put my tire and jerry swings on for trips, so the rest of the time its crammed up under. :D It sticks, but a few good kicks and the tire winch and its in!

Reactions: Excursioner