Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Mounted my 2nd spare in the trunk with ratchet strap. Fits fine, would want a more solid base and another anchor point maybe. I like it better than laying flat.
Cool, that looks like an option when traveling light. I think I'm leaning towards the rigd ultra-swing. It's only 60 pounds without all the accoutrements.
Yup, I always travel as light as possible. I try to live by the “Light is Right” frame of mind. Mainly because my ride is stock, except tires, and the heavier you get the more you need to adjust your ride IMO. You stock or have lift etc?

ToolToolsky

Rank III

Contributor III

Escondido, California, United States
First Name
Igor
Last Name
Belka
Member #

Yup, I always travel as light as possible. I try to live by the “Light is Right” frame of mind. Mainly because my ride is stock, except tires, and the heavier you get the more you need to adjust your ride IMO. You stock or have lift etc?
It has a poor man's lift via spacers. The dealership does this so they can put larger tires on them and ask waaaaay over MSRP. Besides that, it's stock. It will soon get rock sliders and a roof rack. I am considering a hitch tire mount, and that should be the end of it.

Reactions: KAIONE

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

It has a poor man's lift via spacers. The dealership does this so they can put larger tires on them and ask waaaaay over MSRP. Besides that, it's stock. It will soon get rock sliders and a roof rack. I am considering a hitch tire mount, and that should be the end of it.
Awesome! I wish you the best!

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I'm too old to take a fullsize spare off the roof. Actually, I've never done that on any of my builds. It's odd that it's so common. In my trucks, I mounted them against the bed rail. The XJ carried it inside...and always smelled like tire. The FJ was on the rear door. With the GX (little more than a 3rd gen), I've stayed with a tire size that still fit in the stock under-body location as part of my build strategy.

Reactions: Advtres and KAIONE

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

If you want to keep it light have a carrier built behind the stock bumper , mine weighs probably 50-60lbs . I think for your 4 runner some actually make a kit for doing it . B6A7891E-4568-4FC9-9615-3E2E13B397B3.jpeg

Reactions: KAIONE

Kania2k22

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Cornelius, OR, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kania
Member #

I second the Rigd ultra-swing. I installed mine yesterday. Ordered it on 6/22, delivered on 6/26. Very happy with it so far. I got the license plate and folding table option with it. I might end up grabbing the rear camera relocation kit too at some point. Install was really straightforward. Only issue was the 98 degree heat during the install. I could have waited until tomorrow when it cools back down to reasonable levels.

Reactions: KAIONE and Ubiety

ToolToolsky

Rank III

Contributor III

Escondido, California, United States
First Name
Igor
Last Name
Belka
Member #

I second the Rigd ultra-swing. I installed mine yesterday. Ordered it on 6/22, delivered on 6/26. Very happy with it so far. I got the license plate and folding table option with it. I might end up grabbing the rear camera relocation kit too at some point. Install was really straightforward. Only issue was the 98 degree heat during the install. I could have waited until tomorrow when it cools back down to reasonable levels.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. That's a really fast delivery time, considering I'm waiting at least a month for everything else. So the backup camera isn't useful at all with the tire blocking it? How about the collision detectors? Did you have to disable them so it's not beeping at you all the time?

Kania2k22

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Cornelius, OR, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kania
Member #

Great view of the tire through the camera :), but that's about it. This is the first vehicle I've owned with a rear camera, so I haven't really depended on it. Ours 4runner doesn't have the sensors in the bumper either.

• Haha
Reactions: ToolToolsky

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Option 4:
We dont all need fullsize spares. Keep a couple tractor tubes, a dozen plugs, and a means to pop a bead. If that fails you can limp somewhere on a little spare still.

I'd use extra premium quality Cooper STT or Maxxis tires then. No flimsy street tire carcasses with MT tread. (Firestone xt, mt, Duratrac etc.)

I'd go with the Winco hitchgate. But its weight, exactly where you dont want it.

I was about to pull the trigger on one, but have changed plans. Half of next years overlanding will be solo with the bed open, so motorcycle(s) fit. Hitch gate wont work. So I'm sticking with just a 35 under the truck in the OEM location.

If you do go the roof mount way, you can roll the tire right up the front bumper, across the hood, up the windshield carefully. The weight up high stinks, but at least you can locate the tire further foward.

Last edited: