Contributor III

Escondido, California, United States
First Name
Igor
Last Name
Belka
Member #

Hey OB! Got a newbie spare tire question:

I have a fifth gen 4runner that came with four 32.7" BF Goodrich all-terrain K02 tires, but just a factory 31.6" spare. Everything I've read suggests running a full size spare, but as far as I can tell, I can't just put a 32.7" tire where the spare sits now underneath the bumper. So what is the best mounting option for a larger tire if I want to keep my truck light? Do I need an expensive RIGD Utraswing hitch mount, which still adds 100 pounds to the truck? Should I put the spare on the roof rack which can screw up driving dynamics? Maybe something else I'm not aware of?
Any recommendation to keep the weight down would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Maybe air it down a bit/some to make it fit? Some Gladiator owners are doing that to fit 37's in the factory under-bed spare tire holder.

Reactions: Arailt and KAIONE

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Are you sure it doesn’t fit? My Nitto Ridge Grapplers (LT285/70R17) are 32.76” and the full size spare fits underneath just fine on my 2016 4Runner.

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Swap your spare and one of the four, and see if the larger tire fits. I think it will fit, unless you have KDSS back there, however the tire may be so wide it will hang down and drag on a steep exit angle.

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC

I have a fifth gen 4runner that came with four 32.7" BF Goodrich all-terrain K02 tires, but just a factory 31.6" spare. Everything I've read suggests running a full size spare, but as far as I can tell, I can't just put a 32.7" tire where the spare sits now underneath the bumper. So what is the best mounting option for a larger tire if I want to keep my truck light? Do I need an expensive RIGD Utraswing hitch mount, which still adds 100 pounds to the truck? Should I put the spare on the roof rack which can screw up driving dynamics? Maybe something else I'm not aware of?
Thanks!
One thing to consider would be running a narrower spare - 255/80/17 - along with the wider primaries ( I assume you are running 285/70/17). That would match the diameter but preserve the ground clearance.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

Thanks!
It will fit underneath as others have said… if not, there are hitch mounted spare tire carriers that work decently, or use the excuse to get an aftermarket bumper with carrier (aftermarket bumper is the route we went).

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

@ToolToolsky I have a 5th gen 4Runner and have mounted the same BFG, give it a try. I carry a 2nd spare sometimes on my roof rack, 3/4 Prinsu, and it doesn’t mess up my driving dynamics. Feels the same as having my 2 Roam cases loaded full of gear. Key is to secure it well so it doesn’t move at all. Another thing I tried is putting it in the cab. Folded the seats down and laid it right behind the center console for weight distribution. It was fine. I didn’t like having it there, it wasn’t a great fit with other gear, but it did free up my roof rack which I did like because of my normal setup which includes 2 gas cans. Can’t bring those in the cab, lol.

I do want to try putting it upright in the back of the cab and securing it with towels or plastic tire blocks and a ratchet strap over the top connected to the small d-rings to see if that could work. Maybe give that a try.

My main goal is to always have 2 spares when going out for extended trips, say longer than 4 days or 300+ miles on trail. It’s a pet peeve I have from my Baja days. Let me know what you try and find out. Safe trails!

ToolToolsky

Rank III

Contributor III

First Name
Igor
Last Name
Belka
Member #

@ToolToolsky I have a 5th gen 4Runner and have mounted the same BFG, give it a try. I carry a 2nd spare sometimes on my roof rack, 3/4 Prinsu, and it doesn’t mess up my driving dynamics. Feels the same as having my 2 Roam cases loaded full of gear. Key is to secure it well so it doesn’t move at all. Another thing I tried is putting it in the cab. Folded the seats down and laid it right behind the center console for weight distribution. It was fine. I didn’t like having it there, it wasn’t a great fit with other gear, but it did free up my roof rack which I did like because of my normal setup which includes 2 gas cans. Can’t bring those in the cab, lol.

I do want to try putting it upright in the back of the cab and securing it with towels or plastic tire blocks and a ratchet strap over the top connected to the small d-rings to see if that could work. Maybe give that a try.

My main goal is to always have 2 spares when going out for extended trips, say longer than 4 days or 300+ miles on trail. It’s a pet peeve I have from my Baja days. Let me know what you try and find out. Safe trails!
Thats good to know about the roof rack. My concern was the roof dynamic maximum carry capacity of 120lbs(according to Toyota). My Gobi rack is 70lbs of that, plus the tire should put me at max or even over. I've been listening to the Overland Journal Podcast a lot, and they hammer on the roof weight issue constantly. Sounded serious.

ToolToolsky

Rank III

Contributor III

First Name
Igor
Last Name
Belka
Member #

Also, how difficult was it to get your spare onto the roof? How did you end up mounting it?
Thanks.

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I had the same concerns, though for me it was more about departure angle and as another adventure peer reminded me if I was ever wheeling and sank the rear end, or was in a not so great position, getting to the spare and dropping it might be a drama in itself.

So even though it was a bit more $ I ordering an aluminum rear bumper ( pro's and cons I know, but overall it is about 100lbs lighter.)
I am week 20 of a 30 week wait for production :).

Good luck and see ya down the trail!

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Thats good to know about the roof rack. My concern was the roof dynamic maximum carry capacity of 120lbs(according to Toyota). My Gobi rack is 70lbs of that, plus the tire should put me at max or even over. I've been listening to the Overland Journal Podcast a lot, and they hammer on the roof weight issue constantly. Sounded serious.
Yes! I hear you and agree, it plays into what rack is on your roof for sure. Which is why I tried to bring the spare in the cab, even though it worked, and fwd of the rear tires in hopes of better weight distribution and at the same time giving me a roof rack set up I like best. Here’s a photo of what I put up top with a 2nd spare in the cab.

Attachments

Reactions: Advtres

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Also, how difficult was it to get your spare onto the roof? How did you end up mounting it?
Thanks.
Sorry, this won’t help you. I’m 6’5”, 330lbs. I just lifted it up and put it on top. I do use a small folding step ladder though. But another reason why I wanted it in the cab. Easier to get in and out for my wife or someone else IF I am unable to.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Rigd Hitch Mount Spare Tire Carrier. This has worked well for me for over 1.5 years. As others have mentioned a 33” tire may fit underneath. Mine did but I hate that location.

Reactions: KAIONE

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Yea, I can see how hard it would be to swap on the trail. How long did it take for you to receive your RIGd mount after you ordered it?
3-4 weeks, but since I ordered it a long time ago delivery times may have changed.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Mounted my 2nd spare in the trunk with ratchet strap. Fits fine, would want a more solid base and another anchor point maybe. I like it better than laying flat.

Attachments

ToolToolsky

Rank III

Contributor III

First Name
Igor
Last Name
Belka
Member #

Mounted my 2nd spare in the trunk with ratchet strap. Fits fine, would want a more solid base and another anchor point maybe. I like it better than laying flat.
Cool, that looks like an option when traveling light. I think I'm leaning towards the rigd ultra-swing. It's only 60 pounds without all the accoutrements.

Reactions: KAIONE