Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

While currently have a 2013 Tacoma that I love, I decided that making it an overland vehicle just wasn't for me. I like things with character, and building yet another Taco Overland Rig just seemed ... meh ...

Don't get me wrong, I love the Taco, and what some people transform them into is amazing, but I just wasn't really feeling it. I decided to go the path less traveled, it has made all the difference.

It's a 1999 Isuzu Vehicross. Paid only $1800 because the transmission was supposed to be dead. It was just out of fluid. So new fluids, new gaskets, and a new transmission filter and it actually drives very well. (The Taco in the background is my current DD. You can also see where I started to remove the faux carbon fiber vinyl wrap.

Yes, it needs work. A lot of work actually, but mechanically it is reasonably sound. For $1800 I got a 4wd vehicle that definitely has character.

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

Still taking off all the faux carbon fiber vinyl wrap. Such a PITA ... Other than that, the 4WD works and it is surprisingly mechanically sound. So far at least...

Reactions: OverlandxjRon

SilverShadow

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Galveston, TX
First Name
John
Last Name
States
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5BQG
Those have always looked fun. At the time they were on they market they were unique from other offroad vehicles and built to run a little faster as I recall. Good luck. Can't wait to see where you take it.

jhill15

Rank 0

Contributor II

I love these little rigs! There's a guy in my town who had one shipped in from somewhere..."I just happened to see it on the truck driving through town." he's the only one around that has a vehicross, and rocks it like a champ! I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

I've wanted a VehiCROSS since they came out, they always looked so cool.

I'd imagine hunting down body parts for it might be a little difficult though since they are pretty rare, I think only 4,000 were sold in the states. If I recall though I think underneath it was basically a Trooper so engine and transmission stuff should be easy to locate.

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

True, mechanical parts are easy enough. But I am having trouble sourcing a window trim piece. Its not that they are not available, its getting people to sell them. Really it is the only "body" piece I need, and i have had two sites online tell me it is not available and to try again in 30-60 days.

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

Progress is moving forward. I got the title transferred, driver door now opens from the outside (broken plastic clip), and more vinyl wrap removed. Just the roof and grill surround to finish getting it all off. I should be able to plates on it later toady (i hope), but there is still a mountain of work to do. Mostly this Vehicross has not been well cared for, so it needs a lot of TLC (i.e.: just about every fluid you can think of). Once all of that is sorted I can start on interior and body work. Then the mods ... oh the endless mods ...

I will say that buyin a Vehicross as an Overland Rig is NOT for everyone. You better know how to turn a wrench and be able to come up with some creative solutions. As an example, the metal arm for the drivers exterior door handle was supposed to be held in place by a plastic clip. You are not just to going to go get one at an auto parts store on a vehicle like this. However, a small zip tie on the end of the rod holds it in place just fine. There is no real pressure on the zip tie itself as the rod pulls all of the tension for the locking mechanism, so it should last a good long while.

Reactions: H3Coyote

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

Progress update. So far I have:

1) Replaced all of the brake pads
2) Reconditioned all of the calipers
3) Changed out both front half shafts
4) Cleared all of the engine codes
5) Installed a new head unit (must have music) and speakers
6) Fixed a lot of body issues (still a couple to go)
7) Completed almost all of the general service work that need to be done.
8) Cleaned up a lot of the wiring issues, still have a lot more to do in that department.

Basically, it is now at least drivable, and safely so.

I still need shocks, tires and wheels, fix a dent in one fender, and a lot of small issues that seem to plague older vehicles in general.

Reactions: T-88

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

This is how it sits today. Been a mountain of work to get it this far. Since my last update I have installed:

1) Old Man EMU shocks and ARB springs (gave me a 3 inch lift)
2) rebuilt the entire air intake (new gaskets, EGR valve, MAF Sensor, Throttle Position Sensor, etc ...)
3) repaired most of the dents in the body
4) new 130 Amp Alternator (OEM was only 70 Amp, the 2000 and 2001 models came with a 90 Amp)
5) replaced all of the vacuum lines
6) complete service on the transmission (new filter, gaskets, corrected some bad wires)
7) new tires (265/70/R16 Firestone Destination AT)
8) alignment
9) re-centered the steering wheel (it was tilted to one side even after the alignment)
10) new axle half’s in the front
11) fuel pressure regulator and a few fuel lines
12) cleaned the headlights
13) replaced a number of bad light bulbs
14) fixed an issue that caused it to idle at 1900 RPM (power steering pump actually caused that)
15 ) with the VERY limited cargo space I purchased a roof basket and even managed to find OEM Yakima Room Bars.

This is not a complete list, and I do maintain a build log on a Vehicross specific forum, but these are the highlights.

This project has been a real joy to do. There has been some cursing involved, a lot of reading manuals, more than a little frustration at times, like breaking an intake manifold bolt and I had to disassemble the entire tire intake for a second time to extract it. The key to a project like this, really, is just being more stubborn than the bolts you are trying to get to break loose.

While I have only spent just under $5000 in total (including purchasing the VX for $1800), I have learned the real cost of buying a used vehicle is time. I have been working on this project for just about 4 and half months (Purchased June 30th) and I am only just now able to attempt some light trails for a shake down run that isn’t on pavement.

Now that it is running well, I can start on upgrades, like adding a CB, and start working on storage and gear layout.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

That is a strange looking car, but I imagine it will look even better once the grey plastic is refreshed.

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

I am thinking of doing Mostaliner, maybe just the plastic, maybe the whole car.

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Good call replacing the EGR valve. I had to do the same on my ‘99 Trooper

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Thelgord

malinwah

Rank 0

Traveler I

I miss that truck!!! I had a 99 Ironman edition. Glad to see you’re building a rig out of it. Can wait to see what you do with it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk