Launch Member

Traveler III

Lakewood, CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

This week I had an interesting experience. Left Los Angeles mid week, and headed to the desert. Now, going to remote places by myself is not something I have been comfortable with in the past. This day I said "Screw it" and packed up my essentials, picked up some food and I was off. I had an idea of where I wanted to go but spent hours and a full tank of gas exploring the Mojave desert, stumbling upon some rough and easy terrain. Attacked by bats at one moment, visited by a desert kit fox, and the sounds of nature freaking me out was definitely an experience that might turn people off to camping or overlanding. But, I found it to add to the fun of doing something new. Being alone in the middle of nowhere.

The solitude and scenery was beautiful but also leaving me to have some anxiety. Nothing a little whiskey and Bob Marley couldn't fix. It was an eventful time and learned a lot from such a short trip. Pushed the limits of my vehicle (I got stuck in a patch of random mud) and as with every trip, I manage to pack less and leads me to be more of a minimalist on these trips. The freedom that I experienced out there is something people should venture to explore. My appreciation for nature and our public lands grows and I hope that this video and these words inspire you to get out there whenever possible.

I don't like getting all sappy but I had fun and hope you can get out there and make your own memories and appreciate our public lands while we still have access to them.

-Steve

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

Awesome post & video. Love the solo journeys & miss them but have wife & kids now & feel guilty for not letting them in on the adventure. ✌

Reactions: VisualOverland

VisualOverland

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lakewood, CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

Awesome post & video. Love the solo journeys & miss them but have wife & kids now & feel guilty for not letting them in on the adventure. ✌
Thank you! Family Adventures are always fun! You have someone to talk to! :sunglasses:

Jeff Knoll

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, Nevada
Member #

Solo adventure is a like a drug. Your family, friends and peer group will tell you to stop, but you will just keep doing it until you get stung. Get in front of the inevitable and buy a "spot tracker" as an insurance policy. Thankfully I have never had to push the button and call the cavalry, but I have had a few close calls. I really enjoy solo experiences and my wife allows it because of the spot tracker.

https://www.findmespot.com/en/

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Back in the mid 70's I spent nearly every weekend exploring the Mohave Desert in my 1966 slightly modified VW bug. I carried a tarp, a sleeping bag, dried food, a few gallons of water and of course, enough tools to repair any thing that may go wrong with the bug. These days, my wife and I go solo everywhere, all the time. I'm a bit older and wiser so we carry all of the above, nearly 25 gallons of H20, a water purification system and enough dried food to last a month or more should anything seriously go wrong. We also carry our back packs with us, just in case we have to abandon the rig and walk out. Fortunately for us, my lifetime partner is a loner as well. That's not to say we won't go in small groups. Going down our list, Hudson Bay, Baja, Alaska, (the long way, up through the rockies and across the Yukon,) we would most definetly not go alone. And I must agree with the OPer, that very first time out alone can be and is quite eery. I have one memory that sticks to me to this day. As I was hiking away from my bug I was hearing a very peculiar noise. I simply could not identify it. The noise spooked me a little, but I kept hiking. I was easily a few hundred yards away, stopping and listening as I walked, when I realized it was the sound of the air cooled engine contracting as it was cooling off. I felt a little foolish for alowing myself to get spooked. Enjoy !! Peace out !

VisualOverland

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lakewood, CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

Back in the mid 70's I spent nearly every weekend exploring the Mohave Desert in my 1966 slightly modified VW bug. I carried a tarp, a sleeping bag, dried food, a few gallons of water and of course, enough tools to repair any thing that may go wrong with the bug. These days, my wife and I go solo everywhere, all the time. I'm a bit older and wiser so we carry all of the above, nearly 25 gallons of H20, a water purification system and enough dried food to last a month or more should anything seriously go wrong. We also carry our back packs with us, just in case we have to abandon the rig and walk out. Fortunately for us, my lifetime partner is a loner as well. That's not to say we won't go in small groups. Going down our list, Hudson Bay, Baja, Alaska, (the long way, up through the rockies and across the Yukon,) we would most definetly not go alone. And I must agree with the OPer, that very first time out alone can be and is quite eery. I have one memory that sticks to me to this day. As I was hiking away from my bug I was hearing a very peculiar noise. I simply could not identify it. The noise spooked me a little, but I kept hiking. I was easily a few hundred yards away, stopping and listening as I walked, when I realized it was the sound of the air cooled engine contracting as it was cooling off. I felt a little foolish for alowing myself to get spooked. Enjoy !! Peace out !
Thank You! I would love to explore in a buggy! Great story! I just ordered a backpack just for this reason! My first night, my camp got ambushed by bats which was kind of scary as I ran into my jeep:tearsofjoy:! It all worked out and was a good time. Safe Travels!

Reactions: MOAK