Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I mostly take precooked frozen foods when I roll. Get a family pack of ribeyes, BBQ on the charcoal grill, vacuum pack and freeze. Take out to thaw in the morning and quick reheat over the fire pit dinner. Take frozen tubs of pasta sauce. A lot of what is in the freezer. I bake up 5lbs of bacon at a time. Same, freeze packs and good to go. Cuts way down in ice requirements and cooking time/clean up. Use your imagination.
I’m curious if reheated bacon is as good as freshly cooked bacon. I have found there isn’t much that is better than freshly cooked - crispy - bacon on a cool morning:)

Reactions: RonaldHoward1313

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I’m curious if reheated bacon is as good as freshly cooked bacon. I have found there isn’t much that is better than freshly cooked - crispy - bacon on a cool morning:)
I've reheated bacon in a foil pouch on the BBQ or in a fry pan on the stove. Both work well but neither is quite as good a fresh cooked crispy bacon.
I tend to just chop it up and add it to eggs then into a breakfast burrito. Which is easy to reheat many ways on the trail.

Boort

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I'm not much on eating pork, but bacon...well, sometimes I just cant resist!
But there isn't much that's truly better the second time around. Except chili. And pizza. Well, pizza is actually just good not reheated but let gone cold.

Reactions: Tundracamper

cookiedough

Rank V

Explorer I

Phx, AZ
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Petersen
Member #

@Boort

My wife had prepared some hamburgers and potatoes with vegetables and we cooked it in the pan with no water, this was a result. There's some bubbling of the non-stick material and then much black scorching and warping of the metal. It was the GSI 4 person sauce pan.
Yeah, Teflon Flu wikipedia link really isn't a good thing.

I'm a naked stainless pot and oil type guy. Our favorite first night camp meal is a Roman lentil stew. Make it up at home, freeze it in a tupperware (size appropriate for pot) and then add some water to the pot and cook. Easy even if you get to camp in the dark!

My daughter and I forgot the cooler on one trip - my wife texted us about 2 hours down the road. So we stopped and picked up some frozen burritos, built a double boiler type setup and steamed the burritos for first night dinner. Lesson learned there! But they were still good.

Once traveling through Salida CO when Ploughboy's was still there - we picked up some frozen tamales and double boiler'd them - they were the fantastic-est!

Sorry all - had a West Clark Bench post in the clipboard when I pasted the wiki link. Updated now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

My daughter and I forgot the cooler on one trip - my wife texted us about 2 hours down the road. So we stopped and picked up some frozen burritos, built a double boiler type setup and steamed the burritos for first night dinner. Lesson learned there! But they were still good.
Have not forgotten the cooler ... YET. But once forgot the can opener on a 2 day trip with 3 meals with multiple canned ingredients. No one on the trip had one. Not P-38, no scout/army knife, No letherman and none of us wanted to ruin our good EDC knives making them into can openers. Ended up opening cans with a set of slip joint pliers and a hatchet then resharpening the hatchet.

Needless to say I now have an army surplus P-38 in the kitchen box, a leatherman in the door pouch, and a couple of beat up old EDC knives tucked in various spots just in case...

Boort

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Have not forgotten the cooler ... YET. But once forgot the can opener on a 2 day trip with 3 meals with multiple canned ingredients. No one on the trip had one. Not P-38, no scout/army knife, No letherman and none of us wanted to ruin our good EDC knives making them into can openers. Ended up opening cans with a set of slip joint pliers and a hatchet then resharpening the hatchet.

Needless to say I now have an army surplus P-38 in the kitchen box, a leatherman in the door pouch, and a couple of beat up old EDC knives tucked in various spots just in case...

Boort
I have a P38 on the key ring so there is at least one opener with me.

CDA21D49-F3E5-4EFB-9FE9-01FD9E2FD373.jpeg

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Boort
Wow. Can't beleive nobody in camp had any of those things. I have most of that on me just walking around every day. I do think I might have too much in my pocketses, though. Leatherman in leather belt sheath, Swiss Army in the pocket, small keychain Leatherman with my housekwys on it I usually have a Leatherman and Swiss Army in my truck as well. Another set in the backpack...

Even my dog has a Swiss Army knife for when we go hiking and camping

15659097845787668520937143364679_527873782276363.jpg

Peregrine

Rank III

Advocate I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Darby
Last Name
Peregrine
Crispy is ok. I oven bake mine just under crispy. When crispy it was hard to stop the crumbles. Mine reheat no problemo. Splash of oil warmed and in they go. They are warmed when you can't resist the aroma any longer.

Peregrine

Rank III

Advocate I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Darby
Last Name
Peregrine
Wow. Can't beleive nobody in camp had any of those things. I have most of that on me just walking around every day. I do think I might have too much in my pocketses, though. Leatherman in leather belt sheath, Swiss Army in the pocket, small keychain Leatherman with my housekwys on it I usually have a Leatherman and Swiss Army in my truck as well. Another set in the backpack...

Even my dog has a Swiss Army knife for when we go hiking and camping

View attachment 182816
Always have a stash of matches, openers, TP, etc in the glove box.