Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Leo
Last Name
Buttschaft
Member #

Does anyone here have solar panels on his car? I'm superior to buying a solar system. I would be very grateful for tips and recommendations.

Leo4x4

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Leo
Last Name
Buttschaft
Member #

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I would say just the „basics“ like a fridge, my phone, lights, Induction stove and a Laptop.
So the panel I have is 100W. I don't know what the stove would consume but this powers my fridge, phone, etc for quite a while. On a sunny day, it's rare my battery isn't always full. I've got scene lighting on the back and side of my truck which I can plug into a 12v port in my truck but I also bough a lionenergy LT power box thing that I can plug all of the lights into and run for about a day straight. You can also use a portable solar panel to charge that as well.

PDB

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wales, UK
First Name
PD
Last Name
B
Member #

I have a folding 100W moncrystalline panel that I put out at camp. It has a stand I can angle to the sun and lock if necessary. It draws 5amps of power in full sun. I use thick extension leads to park in the shade with the panel moved to always face the sun. With the vehicle running, the powerpack is charged from the engine at 7amps. I need the roof space for other items.

The panel plugs into a 46ah lithium power pack with 15amp solar charger, so I can run 300W of panels for quicker charging if needed. I tested the fridge draw in ambient temps. At 4 degrees centigrade, the power lasted 5 full days and 5 full nights and flattened. So even only drawing 80% max power from the battery as recommended, it will last a good weekend without top up. The powerpack and fridge, shower etc can then be left in camp to free the jeep from camp at a moments notice.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I use a folding Renogy 100W to keep my Goal Zero 1000 charged. I use it mostly to power my fridge, lights, laptop etc. I didn't mount the solar panel so my rig can be in the shade when possible and I can still charge. Sometime the system leaves the vehicle and stays at camp for short wheeling excursions.

PDB

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wales, UK
First Name
PD
Last Name
B
Member #

Have a pair mounted on the hood rated 55w x2 realistically run closer to 95w total most days. Run an arb fridge, my cameras, and a pair of blue sea usb charging outlets.
I've thought of doing that. They are nice panels and I also have an aluminium hood. How did you mount them and what model are they please?

Reactions: Leo4x4

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I have panel on my rig since years. Just charging the aux battery with solar. Very happy with that setup. If I remember correctly, it is a 100W panel. Panel with a solid frame. Mounted it on airline lushing rails on the roof. This steup has the advantage that the panel gets ventilated in order to have sufficient power even when getting warm. Let me have a look, maybe I find a picture on my harddrive which shows that setup...

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Leo4x4

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I have a simple 100 watt solar panel, connects to a 500 watt battery bank, which powers my dometic 18 quart fridge/freezer.

20200920_162223.jpg

20200920_162234.jpg

So far, this panel does a great job of keeping my fridge going.

It puts way more power into the battery than the fridge can eat the power, so I can go basically forever with this setup.

Later down the line I might get a larger fridge/freezer (the dual ones are nice) and will get a 2nd 100 watt panel.

Dorian

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Dorian
Last Name
Bilak
Member #

I’m using a rock pals 100w foldable screen that I plug into a 500amp Goal Zero. I throw it over the front window or roof rack at camp. It does a good job of powering my fridge, iPad, phone, etc. The only issue I’ve had is that on really warm summer nights 80 degrees + the fridge will drain the Goal Zero all the way down from full during the night. The compressor kicks in too much. 100w panel seems good. I would probably look at one of the newer 1000Amp batteries if I didn’t have other thing that are a priority.

Reactions: Jay and Leo4x4

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I have a simple 100 watt solar panel, connects to a 500 watt battery bank, which powers my dometic 18 quart fridge/freezer.

View attachment 175850

View attachment 175851

So far, this panel does a great job of keeping my fridge going.

It puts way more power into the battery than the fridge can eat the power, so I can go basically forever with this setup.

Later down the line I might get a larger fridge/freezer (the dual ones are nice) and will get a 2nd 100 watt panel.
Seems to be also a good solution. Do you run the cable just through the door seal?

Reactions: Jay and Leo4x4

Jay

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Canada
First Name
jay
Last Name
mysterious
Member #

I have a 100w panel that goes to a 100amp deep cycle battery, and i run my arb fridge with the occasional phone charge. Longest ive run the fridge is 5 days non stop and battery was always tip top even with 3 of those days being grey and overcast

The whole setup with the deep cycle marine battery, battery box, renogy charge controller(not mmpt and still charged the hell outa the battery) 100w renogy panel, and wire extensions cost me 680canadian dollars.
And yes i just run the wires through the door seals and water ingress has not been a problem if you run them towards the rear of the passenger doors, if you put them near the pillars the water channels its way inside

(Edit: do not route your cables like i did in those pictures, thats how i learned about the water coming in xD)

Attachments

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Have a pair mounted on the hood rated 55w x2 realistically run closer to 95w total most days. Run an arb fridge, my cameras, and a pair of blue sea usb charging outlets.
I've thought of doing that. They are nice panels and I also have an aluminium hood. How did you mount them and what model are they please?
The panels are Lensun model “LS-55FX2-KK-A-FBA” they are affixed to the hood with a bead of black RTV silicone and a few dots of black roofing tar in the center of each the panels. On my previous truck I used a more firm attachment in the center and the panels were damaged attempting to remove them to move them to the new hood.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I have a 100w panel that goes to a 100amp deep cycle battery, and i run my arb fridge with the occasional phone charge. Longest ive run the fridge is 5 days non stop and battery was always tip top even with 3 of those days being grey and overcast

The whole setup with the deep cycle marine battery, battery box, renogy charge controller(not mmpt and still charged the hell outa the battery) 100w renogy panel, and wire extensions cost me 680canadian dollars.
And yes i just run the wires through the door seals and water ingress has not been a problem if you run them towards the rear of the passenger doors, if you put them near the pillars the water channels its way inside

(Edit: do not route your cables like i did in those pictures, thats how i learned about the water coming in xD)
I like your idea of putting your panels on sliders so they can be protected when not in use. Very clever. Like to see how you get the power to the inside of your rig and to the battery. Are you also connected to your rig alternator ?