Launch Member

Influencer I

Long Island, Ny
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Rom
Member #

anyone ever think or have tried to install a solar panel on the rigs? to use for lights when your rig is off and to charge any devices? just thought of the idea and was wonderinf if anyone has tried it

Reactions: Laughing Otter

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

anyone ever think or have tried to install a solar panel on the rigs? to use for lights when your rig is off and to charge any devices? just thought of the idea and was wonderinf if anyone has tried it
I have toyed with the idea...something that has clamps that I can either put on a pole or attach to the roof rack.

Reactions: Louie559

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
Solar.JPG

I've done it. Tempory for my Ham Radio stuff. I first did it for a Mobil Field Day station. This was running a battery that we independent of the cars electrical system so that we could claim extra points for not being on a gas powered source. It also eliminated some of the alternator type noise inherent in a car's electrical system. I have since used this setup when doing service events so that I do not have to worry about the battery getting run down for hours on the radio.

It is running into a 70hr battery and I have since added an inverter to the equations for use in remote locations for work to run a printer and charge my laptop.

Louie559

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Long Island, Ny
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Rom
Member #

awesome! so it has been done before, i am definetly looking into it and seeing what i could do, ive only seen solar panels with the clamps but i been looking for like a pos/neg post on them

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I Considered it to keep the deep cycle charged up for the fridge, but I think that the flexopower system will work out better for me. My dual battery system charges the deep cycle while we're driving so really I just need it if I want to stay parked for more than 2 full average weather days or 1 1/2 really hot days. It packs up in a small briefcase type bag and it's flexible panels unfold and can be attached wherever with the grommets on the edges. I also like that it comes with a long cord so you can park in the shade and put the panel in the sun. It is supposed to be extremely durable. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I will soon... if anyone has experience with the flexopower fold up style solar kit I'd like to know what you think about it. So far I'm impressed with what I've seen and read but I'd really like to hear a third party's view of it.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Louie559

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Long Island, Ny
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Rom
Member #

I Considered it to keep the deep cycle charged up for the fridge, but I think that the flexopower system will work out better for me. My dual battery system charges the deep cycle while we're driving so really I just need it if I want to stay parked for more than 2 full average weather days or 1 1/2 really hot days. It packs up in a small briefcase type bag and it's flexible panels unfold and can be attached wherever with the grommets on the edges. I also like that it comes with a long cord so you can park in the shade and put the panel in the sun. It is supposed to be extremely durable. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I will soon... if anyone has experience with the flexopower fold up style solar kit I'd like to know what you think about it. So far I'm impressed with what I've seen and read but I'd really like to hear a third party's view of it.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
ive think i actually seen a fold up one, if you use it let me know how it works? im interested in tryinf out some cool method like this , i go camping alot and also om the beach at night, id appreciate that

Reactions: 000

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

I made an under-the-rack solar panel slide using 80/20 extruded aluminum. 200 watts....Works really well. Doubles as an awning :thumbsup:

Even with the jerry's and water tank, I get about a 2 amp trickle charge with them stowed away. 10-13 amps when pulled out
View attachment 33984 View attachment 33985
Do you have anymore pictures or a detailed write up? I've been wanting to do this style also.

Jeff Blake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hope this helps

Solar panels are framed in aluminum angle (architectural), and aluminum u-channel
The two 80/20 products are 1.5" smooth t-slot and plastic glide track. custom ordered w/ access holes drilled in the t-slot
Hang M8 bolts from the underside of the rack (front runner racks are key here, they have t-slot too).
Through bolt the t-slot track using locknuts and fender washers

For the solar panel frame, countersink the glide track and affix using flathead #10 screws every 4" or so
Also added a deadbolt latch, handle, and 2' threaded rods to secure the handle to the opposite edge of the frame

Attachments

Louie559

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Long Island, Ny
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Rom
Member #

Hope this helps

Solar panels are framed in aluminum angle (architectural), and aluminum u-channel
The two 80/20 products are 1.5" smooth t-slot and plastic glide track. custom ordered w/ access holes drilled in the t-slot
Hang M8 bolts from the underside of the rack (front runner racks are key here, they have t-slot too).
Through bolt the t-slot track using locknuts and fender washers

For the solar panel frame, countersink the glide track and affix using flathead #10 screws every 4" or so
Also added a deadbolt latch, handle, and 2' threaded rods to secure the handle to the opposite edge of the frame
that is awesome, thank you for showing , its very interesting , that idea honestly is a great idea that i would personaly try to do as well, thank you