Justin Lee

Rank 0

Traveler I

Pensacola, FL, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Lee
So, a friend was telling me today that his car has a feature (stock), that limits the amount of voltage his car can produce. Apparently, the manufacturer did this to take some pressure off the engine and increase gas mileage? WTH. When he is sitting still and in park, his cell phone charging is enough to bring his voltage to around 12, but as soon as he unplugs it, it goes back to normal range. It is a brand new iPhone and according the internet (I'm a French model), he's not the only one who notices this. Besides the point.

We want to mount a solar panel on his back deck, run a small lawnmower battery in his trunk, and an inverter under his passenger seat. When I say inverter, I mostly just mean phone charging stations. Will this work, battery wise? Let's hear/see some ideas!

Rolasolar

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Forest Lake, Queensland, Australia
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Gurman
Member #

So, a friend was telling me today that his car has a feature (stock), that limits the amount of voltage his car can produce. Apparently, the manufacturer did this to take some pressure off the engine and increase gas mileage? WTH. When he is sitting still and in park, his cell phone charging is enough to bring his voltage to around 12, but as soon as he unplugs it, it goes back to normal range. It is a brand new iPhone and according the internet (I'm a French model), he's not the only one who notices this. Besides the point.

We want to mount a solar panel on his back deck, run a small lawnmower battery in his trunk, and an inverter under his passenger seat. When I say inverter, I mostly just mean phone charging stations. Will this work, battery wise? Let's hear/see some ideas!
As a option, have you thought of a portable power pack with built in inverter with USB and 12v outputs. Most of these can be charged by solar, vehicle and AC.

Sent from my SM-G950F using OB Talk mobile app