Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Santiago is probably the closest. Just take the 74 east and you're there.

Big Bear is awesome, did Holcomb and a few offshoots last weekend. Good times. That said, I don't know how big of a group I would want to take.

Once it cools down, Borrego is great for bigger groups and there's tons of dispersed camping.
I am going to try to head up to big bear for the day on Monday and meet up with a friend to scout some trails.

Tahoe.Adventures

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona, CA
Member #

I am going to try to head up to big bear for the day on Monday and meet up with a friend to scout some trails.
I did Wildhorse Meadows Rd a few months ago and it was pretty cool as well.

Trail head where I started:
34.174241,-116.753321

Not difficult. Only a small Rocky section on the beginning. Again, my truck is 2wd.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Frank, As Mike and I where talking about is Skyline Drive and Clark's Grade. Clark's starts on Hwy 38 and loops around back to it. Skyline starts at Club view Dr. and goes up to meet Clark's and back down to the Town of Big Bear. Skyline is an easy route, and Clark's Moderate at the end. Both run together a long the ridge in the trees behind the ski runs, pretty nice...If you want to see, Trail Recon has a video of the Clark's run on Youtube

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Frank, As Mike and I where talking about is Skyline Drive and Clark's Grade. Clark's starts on Hwy 38 and loops around back to it. Skyline starts at Club view Dr. and goes up to meet Clark's and back down to the Town of Big Bear. Skyline is an easy route, and Clark's Moderate at the end. Both run together a long the ridge in the trees behind the ski runs, pretty nice...If you want to see, Trail Recon has a video of the Clark's run on Youtube
Let me know when you might do this, would love to tag along.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Let me know when you might do this, would love to tag along.
The plan if I go would be this Monday. Early AM. Going to meet up with a buddy for a late breakfast then check some trails! He has a Subie as well.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
So this is the route my friend put together he'll be at his cabin up there and leading the run. Looks long but mileage and time wise it's not bad on stats. We'll stop and take some pictures and stuff. Since it loops back into town we can always bail if it goes long, and gas up, get snacks if we want to continue (we shouldn't need to gas up, maybe more of a restroom break).

Plan is early Monday Morning to be up there for a late-ish breakfast and then hit the trails. should be about an 8 hour day up and back (guessing).

Link to the route he planned ===>>> THE ROUTE :)

Last edited:

SoCal-JKU14

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona, CA
Member #

Clarks summit and Skyline drive are nice scenic trails as 9Mike2 mentioned. Ran these trails earlier this year and willing to do it again or can meet up on a nearby trail in that area. Good either Sunday or Monday. Clarks summit is a moderate trail with some steep and narrow spots on some section of the trail. Can be tight on some sections with brush with wide vehicle profile. Skyline drive is a nice trail ridge drive on the mountains above Big Bear. Trail is easy. To clarks summit: head east on Highway 38 to 1N04. To Skyline drive: it's off of highway 18 at forest road 2N10

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Clarks summit and Skyline drive are nice scenic trails as 9Mike2 mentioned. Ran these trails earlier this year and willing to do it again or can meet up on a nearby trail in that area. Good either Sunday or Monday. Clarks summit is a moderate trail with some steep and narrow spots on some section of the trail. Can be tight on some sections with brush with wide vehicle profile. Skyline drive is a nice trail ridge drive on the mountains above Big Bear. Trail is easy. To clarks summit: head east on Highway 38 to 1N04. To Skyline drive: it's off of highway 18 at forest road 2N10

You are welcome to join, Terry said he was interested as well. It will be the dirt the new FJC sees too! I will update with exact meeting point and times tomorrow.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Ok folks, for those joining my scouting run on Monday (@SoCal-JKU14 and @Terry Pickens at the moment) here is the plan.

My friend and member Robert (@hockeypl89) will be leading the run in his rad Subie.

We are meeting in the Dirt Lot across from REMAX Big Bear @ 9am on the Corner of Moonridge Rd and Club View Road (Google Map Link)
Rain is forecasted, but shouldn't be a problem. Trails are easy and should make for some added adventure :)

- Hit trail 1 about 10am, do the loop and have lunch back in town.
- Hit Trail 2, do the loop and be done about 3 or 4 pm.
- We all head home or have an early dinner, this is open and we can decide there.

I will be leaving from Irvine if anyone would like to caravan up. I am dropping my pup off at daycare (Right near the Irvine Spectrum) at 6:30 am and hitting the road about 7am. Google maps estimates a 2 hour drive from there on Monday. If not, I will see you in Big Bear at 9:00 am!

PLEASE let me know if you plan on going so we know to expect/wait for you.

Last edited:

SoCal-JKU14

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona, CA
Member #

We are still on for the trail run on Monday. The trail and day plan sounds good with us.
If you like we can meet up on the way when you are passing by the 15 and 91 fwy. If that sounds good with you we can DM each other on when and where to meet up along the way.

Irving Zisman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Yucaipa, CA
Member #

Ok folks, for those joining my scouting run on Monday (@SoCal-JKU14 and @Terry Pickens at the moment) here is the plan.

My friend and member Robert (@hockeypl89) will be leading the run in his rad Subie.

We are meeting in the Dirt Lot across from REMAX Big Bear @ 9am on the Corner of Moonridge Rd and Club View Road (Google Map Link)
Rain is forecasted, but shouldn't be a problem. Trails are easy and should make for some added adventure :)

- Hit trail 1 about 10am, do the loop and have lunch back in town.
- Hit Trail 2, do the loop and be done about 3 or 4 pm.
- We all head home or have an early dinner, this is open and we can decide there.

I will be leaving from Irvine if anyone would like to caravan up. I am dropping my pup off at daycare (Right near the Irvine Spectrum) at 6:30 am and hitting the road about 7am. Google maps estimates a 2 hour drive from there on Monday. If not, I will see you in Big Bear at 9:00 am!

PLEASE let me know if you plan on going so we know to expect/wait for you.

Hey Frank, is it too late for me to get in on this? This is scheduled for this upcoming Monday (Labor Day), correct?

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Have fun guys, I'm doing mods to my new trailer or I would love to join up for the day!

The last time I was there in early Spring, the gate near Bear Mountain was still closed.
The Jeeps on the other side were very miffed that they had to go all the way around.

It's probably open now, just a warning to either check or be ready to go around.

As for a group run, I saw the mention of Burns Canyon (Pioneer town to Big Bear) and someone said it was "difficult" (?)

Not sure I would call it difficult, but maybe not suitable for 2WD vehicles unless you have some experience.
I would add that to the list of possible day runs, but Fall or Spring are the best times for that one as well.

Cheers and have fun!

Dan.