OB Approved So You Want To Be A HAM? (US Edition)

• HTML tutorial

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

This looks like a great thread!
I was into the CB radio thing way back in the seventies.. and still have a couple of old Cb radios.. just recently purchased a newer mobile CB radio, and antenna.. now I'm looking to get into the ham scene.
I am currently doing a little studying for the technicians.
I havent decided, when I jump in, and get a Ham rig, what type of mobile transceiver I want to buy. Obviously the more bands an features, the higher the cost.
I will be buying good used equipment, as in one of the big 3. Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu. I want to be able to remove radio equipment at home for theft reasons. Lotta little hoodlums nearby, and I dont want to be a target.

@Lars can you please reccommend a good model of each of the top 3 in a dual band configuration, and a good magnet mount antenna?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

@NorthStar96 something like the Yaesu FT-7800r is tough to beat as a good dual band mobile. 2m/70cm is ideal for mobile communications between vehicles.

If you're looking at upgrading to your general, and willing to shell out a bit more coin for one radio that will do virtually everything you'll ever want in the hobby look for a Yaesu FT-857d, Icom IC-706Mk.II g, or Icom IC-7100 (these are all HF bands, 6M, 2m, and 70cm, all mode)

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

Taking my test at Expo on Sunday... so cramming hard. I didn't leave myself much time to study!
Good luck, and looking forward to hearing you on the air.

BTW @stringtwelve, I'll be driving through NM from four corners down to Austin on June 4th, perhaps we can coordinate lunch/dinner or maybe just a coffee on the way through?

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

Two weekends ago, on May 7th I did my first round as a VE at a testing session.
We had 4 people take the Technician with 3 passing. 3 upgraded to general, and one of those attempted his extra.

All in all a good day!

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

@Lars what's a good radio that has APRS, a removable face and doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I'm looking to get into Ham since everyone in my local club uses it, and want to be able to be up on technology. Also wouldn't be bad to have APRS so that if I go without my fiancee she can see where I'm at.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Good luck, and looking forward to hearing you on the air.

BTW @stringtwelve, I'll be driving through NM from four corners down to Austin on June 4th, perhaps we can coordinate lunch/dinner or maybe just a coffee on the way through?
Passed the tech with flying colors... they smiled and handed me me another test and said, "you should try the general for free before you go". No such luck on the general, but I'll know what to expect when it's time for an upgrade!
Watching the database now for my callsign!

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

@Lars what's a good radio that has APRS, a removable face and doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I'm looking to get into Ham since everyone in my local club uses it, and want to be able to be up on technology. Also wouldn't be bad to have APRS so that if I go without my fiancee she can see where I'm at.
That's a tall order. Yaesu FTM-100 is as close as it gets. And that's not cheap. Alternately the best option is the Kenwood TM-D710GA

Reactions: Goose_1327

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

That's a tall order. Yaesu FTM-100 is as close as it gets. And that's not cheap. Alternately the best option is the Kenwood TM-D710GA
I guess I don't consider $320ish to be an arm and a leg, haha. I think that is the ticket. Thanks @Lars .