Launch Member

Advocate II

Clackamas, Clackamas County, Oregon, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
O
Member #

Ahhhh...I'm trying to decide on a RTT and just cannot come to a decision. Here are my options at the moment:

FSR Tri-layer
CVT Pioneer extended
Tepui Ruggedized Autana
And to stretch the budget - ikamper or James Baroud.

It'll be myself and my 4 & 2 yo most of the time with one of our dogs most of the time.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Yea, RTT's are definitely a tough decision. I went through the same thing myself!

The primary reason I went with Tepui was for their Zipper-Gimp(odd name!) technology. I love the fact that you can easily take off the entire canopy and switch from a 4 season set-up to a full mesh canopy. Also makes it nice if you ever needed to purchase a new canopy in the future due to wear, or a potential warranty situation.

With that said, I really do like the FSR tents- a bit easier to deploy.

Reactions: Jopina7807

Jopina7807

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Clackamas, Clackamas County, Oregon, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
O
Member #

Yea, RTT's are definitely a tough decision. I went through the same thing myself!

The primary reason I went with Tepui was for their Zipper-Gimp(odd name!) technology. I love the fact that you can easily take off the entire canopy and switch from a 4 season set-up to a full mesh canopy. Also makes it nice if you ever needed to purchase a new canopy in the future due to wear, or a potential warranty situation.

With that said, I really do like the FSR tents- a bit easier to deploy.
Yeah, I did like that about the Tepui tents. It was nice that I lived in the Bay Area and was able to go down to the warehouse and see the products in person; CVT and FSR are a bit far from me...though the drive could be nice, I’m assuming.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I definitely like the Tepui ruggedized tents. I originally had a regular Kukenam and “upgraded” to a ruggedized Kukenam XL. The diamond plate floor and heavier canvas was well worth the additional cost.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
@Jopina7807 Rhino Adventure Gear in Richmond has Ikampers and James Baroud tents to take a look at. You can crawl inside and feel them out.

cody_roberts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I'm very happy with my Tepui kukenam. Sleeps two adults very comfortably. They also have great customer service.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

We had no such choices... basically we had about $300 so I bought what was available on craigslist, a CVT 2 sleeper. It was barely used and works awesome. Their customer service is excellent.

When the time came to outfit my daughter’s Montero, we found a 2 week old Tepui on Craigslist for $350. It also works great and their customer service is excellent.

People get really caught up on the hype, and buying new, but you can save a ton of money buying used, and stretch your budget further.

James

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

We had no such choices... basically we had about $300 so I bought what was available on craigslist, a CVT 2 sleeper. It was barely used and works awesome. Their customer service is excellent.

When the time came to outfit my daughter’s Montero, we found a 2 week old Tepui on Craigslist for $350. It also works great and their customer service is excellent.

People get really caught up on the hype, and buying new, but you can save a ton of money buying used, and stretch your budget further.

James
Those are awesome prices. I’ve never seen a used RTT priced that good. Usually it’s 2-3x that and there is no negotiating because they go quickly.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

James
Wow! Yea I would have assumed those were scams lol. Great finds!

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I’ve been running a Ruggedized Autana for 2.5 yrs (I’m a Tepui dealer). While it is a very good tent, it is heavy. Something to consider depending on the vehicle it will be mounted to and who you have to help install and un-install. Buying a standard tent will save some weight. You can add the anti-condensation mat a-la-cart if you want. That is the upgrade you’d most miss.

The size can be tricky. It will be fine with the kids now but consider how long you’ll own it. You may want to buy the “4” person size. My wife and I can’t deal with our 8yr old in the Autana. He wiggles around too much. We have a cot for the annex now if all of us are camping. The capacity ratings on RTT are like backpacking tents. Keep that in mind.

The Tepui shoe bags are awesome. I’ll leave it at that.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Just picked up our iKamper Skycamp. We're breaking it in this weekend, but we've deployed and stowed it several times for practice. 30 seconds to deploy, 1 min 45 to stow. Sleeps 4, pretty nice.

Reactions: sabjku

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Just picked up our iKamper Skycamp. We're breaking it in this weekend, but we've deployed and stowed it several times for practice. 30 seconds to deploy, 1 min 45 to stow. Sleeps 4, pretty nice.
Awww man....I'm jealous! 30 seconds to set up and under 2min to break down! Anxious to check it out at Overland East!

Reactions: Hourless Life