Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
A long while ago I had seriously considered installing a snorkel, until I had multiple conversations with multiple folks that live and wheel all over the Colorado Plateau, specifically the Moab region. Out of 10 or 12 folks living in that region I couldn't find a single one the would recommend using a snorkel. Steve the owner of 4x4 Outpost put it quite succinctly, " they are a complete waste of money" his words, not mine. Don't get me wrong, I understand the benefits of a cold air intake, but my cruiser draws air from the outside as it is. I understand the cleaner air theories as well. Water crossings? Hey, if you're in over your hood, just maybe you shouldn't be there. Here in the lower 48 I just don't see the need. Heading to Alaska, the back way? Maybe. Land of Oz, definitely. But here in the lower 48? Begin your case, for or against !! :)

Reactions: Laud and Ben Kim

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
In Arizona, the snorkel is a great way to get fresh, dust free air into the air filter. I used to have a cold air intake on my Duramax and that sucked in every bug that was near the grille. A snorkel with the inlet turned around backwards will pull in fresh air and no bugs so the air filter will stay cleaner longer. I want to install one on my 4Runner, not to go into deep water but just for the cooler air that is not near the 150 degree heat that we get here in Phoenix.

Virginiawilderness

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vienna, Virginia
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Harris
Member #

I don’t particularly want a snorkel... but I think they are pretty nifty and maybe serve some some benefit on the trail. I’m a bit of a FNG here, so a snorkel is probably a ways off since I have a bunch of other priorities as I sort my rig out ($$$).

I don’t have any beef with the idea that it looks cool, if you like it, awesome. To each their own, I think there is an appeal to the look.

I for one don’t have a need for deep water fording (yet) we don’t have a ton of that here in Virginia. But maybe it’s better to have and not need.

With respect to the cold air intake, pre-filter, or getting your intake out of the dust from a convoy, there seems to be something to that. At present, I just throw a spare paper filter in the truck, and change them regularly.

Cpyonker

Rank III

Advocate II

I personally ordered one, it doesn’t match my body lines and is kinda ugly. But it saves my engine. My air intake is right behind the passenger headlight facing forward.IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_9734.JPG
IMG_9889.JPG

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I don’t particularly want a snorkel... but I think they are pretty nifty and maybe serve some some benefit on the trail. I’m a bit of a FNG here, so a snorkel is probably a ways off since I have a bunch of other priorities as I sort my rig out ($$$).

I don’t have any beef with the idea that it looks cool, if you like it, awesome. To each their own, I think there is an appeal to the look.

I for one don’t have a need for deep water fording (yet) we don’t have a ton of that here in Virginia. But maybe it’s better to have and not need.

With respect to the cold air intake, pre-filter, or getting your intake out of the dust from a convoy, there seems to be something to that. At present, I just throw a spare paper filter in the truck, and change them regularly.
Have you cut up your factory air filter box yet and done the marine deck lid modification? If so, do you feel that it was worth it?

Reactions: Ben Kim

Virginiawilderness

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vienna, Virginia
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Harris
Member #

Hey Graeman

No, Rachel and I picked up the 4Runner about 2 months ago and have just gotten through the base line. We are really just learning this vehicle, but I’ll look into that marine deck lid mod you mentioned. Thanks for the suggestion!

Most of my experience with snorkel/not to snorkel comes from off roading a decade ago with a 2000 Jeep XJ. Miss that rig :(

Last edited:

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Do you have the e-locker in the rear? The more that I off road with my ‘98 the more that I love it.

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Influencer II

Yewtah
Clean/cool air aside, there are plenty of places in Utah where you *can* need dry air too. Fremont River, Kane Creek, Delores Crossing, Fuller Bottom, hell even AFC in deep runoff. Sure you can simply turn around or avoid those areas in high runoff. Just like you can avoid the water in Australia but somehow it's necessary there ;)

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Do you even overland, bro?

Everyone knows you can't overland without a snorkel.

lol, j/k, couldn't resist.

IMO unless you regularly drive through 3 feet plus of water, or live in the desert where it's always super dusty, it's an appearance only mod.

And if you ARE driving through water that deep, the engine air is only one of your many worries.

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Do you even overland, bro?

Everyone knows you can't overland without a snorkel.

lol, j/k, couldn't resist.

IMO unless you regularly drive through 3 feet plus of water, or live in the desert where it's always super dusty, it's an appearance only mod.

And if you ARE driving through water that deep, the engine air is only one of your many worries.
As the driver of a Jeep JKU, I'll respectfully disagree with you. The location of the stock air intake on the JK series of Jeeps is located forward of the passenger wheel well, at the hood line. Unfortunately, when the water is displaced by the incredibly non-aerodynamic brick (AKA Jeep) it can rise up the inside of the wheel well and enter the air intake. While the JK design is an extreme example, the amazing ability of water to find its way where you don't want it to be can not be underestimated.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Out of 10 or 12 folks living in that region I couldn't find a single one the would recommend using a snorkel. Steve the owner of 4x4 Outpost put it quite succinctly, " they are a complete waste of money" his words, not mine.
Kind of a strong statement from a business owner. I personally wouldn't want to push away a possible sale.
With that said, I have been looking into them for quite a while. I take peoples opinions with a grain of salt and lean towards the benefits or lack of.
Here's what I found.

Positive points.
Pulls air a bit higher, giving a ram effect at highway speeds. The higher speed will also run cooler, cooler is better. (our 80's need all the H/P help they can get)
Most of the heavy dirt flows below, so your getting dust only.
Better water fording, I drive mostly desert and the few water crossings I have done, don't go too deep. If they did I would loose traction anyway.
"looks cool" (opinion based)
Can make vehicle easier to sell

Negative points
Have to cut fender (I cant get myself to do this)
Can make vehicle harder to sell
Some people will taunt you for having it.
Some people will ask you if you like it or not.
People will ask if it was hard to install.
People will comment that it didn't double their H/P. Therefore a waste of money.

Scott

Reactions: T.Shack

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

I have been thinking about one for the Dakota I live 2.25 miles down a dirt road. I wash this red beast & it is Dusty just going to town, work or anywhere. Lol but hay the is asphalt in front of the place. Lol

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Kind of a strong statement from a business owner. I personally wouldn't want to push away a possible sale.
With that said, I have been looking into them for quite a while. I take peoples opinions with a grain of salt and lean towards the benefits or lack of.
Here's what I found.

Positive points.
Pulls air a bit higher, giving a ram effect at highway speeds. The higher speed will also run cooler, cooler is better. (our 80's need all the H/P help they can get)
Most of the heavy dirt flows below, so your getting dust only.
Better water fording, I drive mostly desert and the few water crossings I have done, don't go too deep. If they did I would loose traction anyway.
"looks cool" (opinion based)
Can make vehicle easier to sell

Negative points
Have to cut fender (I cant get myself to do this)
Can make vehicle harder to sell
Some people will taunt you for having it.
Some people will ask you if you like it or not.
People will ask if it was hard to install.
People will comment that it didn't double their H/P. Therefore a waste of money.

Scott

I've seen some people advocate facing the scoop backwards, which would negate any (questionable) ram air effect. One of those mushroom type scoops would eliminate that as well.

I wonder though, has anyone seen any tests with any air filter analysis or other hard data to see if there actually IS a benefit to them in dusty conditions? I wonder about that too, as the snorkel scoop is only what, 2 feet about the normal intake?

Don't get me wrong I think they look cool and am not against them in any way, I just wonder about the validity of a lot of the claims made about them.

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

I've seen some people advocate facing the scoop backwards, which would negate any (questionable) ram air effect. One of those mushroom type scoops would eliminate that as well.

I wonder though, has anyone seen any tests with any air filter analysis or other hard data to see if there actually IS a benefit to them in dusty conditions? I wonder about that too, as the snorkel scoop is only what, 2 feet about the normal intake?

Don't get me wrong I think they look cool and am not against them in any way, I just wonder about the validity of a lot of the claims made about them.
Goid pointa

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

The area I live in has long been referred to as Tidewater. You have multiple cities on the coast that are almost entirely at sea level. Dot that area with rivers and swamps, and you have a place very prone to flooding. Not my video, but I see this level of flooding several times a year in this area.

I actually didn't buy a snorkel for off-road stuff. I bought mine so I could get home from work, or maybe get an ill family member to the hospital, regardless of road conditions. The peace of mind when venturing into unknown depths is just a bonus.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
If you ask people why they run them backwards, you will probably get the same responses I've gotten. Forward allows rain to get in and I had one say that's how the body shop installed it and they knew what they were doing. This "pool" of people consists of only a handful Ive been able to ask. I ask just to see why they did it and not to give grief. The mushroom type are based on the mining/commercial systems with the big air cleaners. Again raising intake a bit.
The ram air benefits can be fairly considerable depending on a number of factors. I cant remember the math off the top of my head for air velocity equaling temperature drop but if you change temp 10 degrees it equates to 1 percent of power change. 50 degree temp drop would mean 5 percent power increase.

On my 04 TJ the factory pulls air from inside the engine compartment. I put my temp probe just after my air cleaner and went out crawling in a small canyon. The outside temp was a little over 100 degrees, my temp probe was reading almost 300 degrees. Not having enough ground speed to move the air out of the engine compartment, I was pulling heat from radiator, block and exhaust.
Using the above math and rounding it off, I was loosing 15-18 percent power at low speed.
I cut a hole in the fire wall and pulled the air from the cowl through a ford air cleaner housing. My air temp dropped down to ambient and would drop about 10 degrees below on highway.

Did I feel any difference, no. I have seen the numbers on the dyno's I have at work but, not with my vehicles. Its hard to duplicate ram air sitting. All we have is a big fan. I have seen the "cold air intakes" loose 7-10 hp with the hood closed because they pull air inside the engine compartment.

I guess what Im saying here is, people expect to feel some difference when they do a mod. You don't always notice it so people will say something based on what they think.
The only reason I don't have one is I don't want to cut my fender. Any little bit will help my 7k pig with the aerodynamic of a shoe box.

Scott

Last edited:

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I run mine forward. I've never had an issue with rain, but I have had a problem with snow accumulating inside it and freezing solid. In snow, I make it face rearward. On many trash trucks, they face to the side. As to which direction is "correct," I don't know that there is one. HYOH

Reactions: smritte

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
If you ask people why they run them backwards, you will probably get the same responses I've gotten. Forward allows rain to get in and I had one say that's how the body shop installed it and they knew what they were doing. This "pool" of people consists of only a handful Ive been able to ask. I ask just to see why they did it and not to give grief. The mushroom type are based on the mining/commercial systems with the big air cleaners. Again raising intake a bit.
The ram air benefits can be fairly considerable depending on a number of factors. I cant remember the math off the top of my head for air velocity equaling temperature drop but if you change temp 10 degrees it equates to 1 percent of power change. 50 degree temp drop would mean 5 percent power increase.

On my 04 TJ the factory pulls air from inside the engine compartment. I put my temp probe just after my air cleaner and went out crawling in a small canyon. The outside temp was a little over 100 degrees, my temp probe was reading almost 300 degrees. Not having enough ground speed to move the air out of the engine compartment, I was pulling heat from radiator, block and exhaust.
Using the above math and rounding it off, I was loosing 15-18 percent power at low speed.
I cut a hole in the fire wall and pulled the air from the cowl through a ford air cleaner housing. My air temp dropped down to ambient and would drop about 10 degrees below on highway.

Did I feel any difference, no. I have seen the numbers on the dyno's I have at work but, not with my vehicles. Its hard to duplicate ram air sitting. All we have is a big fan. I have seen the "cold air intakes" loose 7-10 hp with the hood closed because they pull air inside the engine compartment.

I guess what Im saying here is, people expect to feel some difference when they do a mod. You don't always notice it so people will say something based on what they think.
The only reason I don't have one is I don't want to cut my fender. Any little bit will help my 7k pig with the aerodynamic of a shoe box.

Scott
Interesting that we both switched our 04 Rubicons for an 80 series. And yes, I agree 100% about the TJ's need for cooler air intake, let alone their propensity to run hot at low speed. I'm happy to have started an interesting thread. It is also interesting that no one, (well, years ago JP magazine did a comparison test)( do they count as someone?), with and without cold air/snorkle intakes. They could only report a "seat of the pants" noticeable difference. There was a measurable increase of 5 to 7 horsepower, but wrapped up at over 2700 RPMs and no one in their right mind operates at 2700 RPMs, unless of course 7 to 8 MPG is no problem for them. Keep those opinions coming.