Puyallup, WA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Sperl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7WOO
Today I added a Smittybilt XRC 9.5K Waterproof 9500lb Winch Gen2 - 97495 to my 20187 JKU Willys. from what I have researched and gathered I should add a power cutoff switch that will handle a 500 amps rating on continuous power. The winch is rated at 435 I think. I have been wrong before. I am curious if I do in fact need to run a switch and or a relay or both. I have been told also that using a SPOD system will do this for me but as I just bought the winch along with a new toolset, mine was stolen, I am strapped for cash as I am a freelance worker and I would like not to have to buy a SPOD at this time.
So questions are:
  • is a switch needed
  • Is a SPOD Better?
    • Is there an alternative to the expensive brand?
  • Could I just keep the winch unpowered until needed then hook it up when I need it?
    • This would probably be the cheapest way but as I have learned from past relationships; cheap and easy are not always the best.
  • Is there anyone in the Western Washington area that is an Electrical God or Goddess or Non-gendered deity that would wield their power upon my engine and wiring and help me out?
    • Seems that I have got it done just not clean and I am still new to jeeps. I am good with motorcycles, tech, and food. I am willing to learn.
    • 2020-03-01 17.21.33.jpg

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Id wire the winch directly to the battery, cutoffs can go bad and you want as little as possible to go wrong when you need it . Also when maxing out a winch it can draw well over 600 amp . I have anderson quick disconnects on mine like you use for racing or tow truck jumper cables so if i dont want power to the winch when its in town.
Just Leaving your winch connected isnt going to draw any power unless your using the winch.

croakthedj

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Puyallup, WA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Sperl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7WOO
Currently, it is connected directly to the battery. Do you recommend the Anderson quick disconnects? I'd say my commute and in tow will be 60-80% right now. And thank you for the help.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Id recommend just hooking it up to your battery and leaving it unless your afraid someone will mess with it or you remove it quite often. I only did the disconnects because my winch was mounted on the front hitch reciever, its no longer mounted like that so i really dont need the connectors unless im using em for jumper cables to start someones car. By putting anything a fuse, switch or connectors you will be creating a point of failure.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

In over 40 years of doing this I’ve never heard of the neccessity for a cut off switch for a winch. I use one of these breaker/fuses. That’s all you need. This is superwinch’s version, there are many others View attachment 142640
I think its more of a personal thing for city folk where someone might mess with the winch and they want to cut power to it. It sure sounds like a bad idea to me though considering the switch would fail at some point probably from condensation.

croakthedj

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Puyallup, WA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Sperl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7WOO
I think its more of a personal thing for city folk where someone might mess with the winch and they want to cut power to it. It sure sounds like a bad idea to me though considering the switch would fail at some point probably from condensation.
You are right I am partially worried about someone messing with it. I do have a cover on it so that will help I think. I am just trying to do thing the smart way.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

You are right I am partially worried about someone messing with it. I do have a cover on it so that will help I think. I am just trying to do thing the smart way.
In the end its totally up to you, if you do go with a switch just make sure it can handle more amperage than your winch says it produces and be sure it is waterproof. Personally I would just leave both pos and neg wires unhooked from the battery while in town and hook em up before adventuring, saves money and less failure points. Not many nefarious folks are carrying a winch controller around in their pocket and the wireless controller should be matched to your winch only. Even with it unhooked they could still take your cable or rope unless you remove the spool selector ( not a good idea though it would let condensation & dirt into the gearbox)

croakthedj

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Puyallup, WA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Sperl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7WOO
In the end its totally up to you, if you do go with a switch just make sure it can handle more amperage than your winch says it produces and be sure it is waterproof. Personally I would just leave both pos and neg wires unhooked from the battery while in town and hook em up before adventuring, saves money and less failure points. Not many nefarious folks are carrying a winch controller around in their pocket and the wireless controller should be matched to your winch only. Even with it unhooked they could still take your cable or rope unless you remove the spool selector ( not a good idea though it would let condensation & dirt into the gearbox)
I will look into doing that. That is what I was thinking. But when in doubt ask, Right?

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

that particular one is only rated 350a. if my youtube electronics degree is correct that wouldnt be enough
If you were to use that it should work for you a 9k winch isnt much and should be used intemittently, that switch is rated for 525a intermittently. Youll probably only ever pull 400a at the most and that would be very long. Your winch user manual should say what amp it would draw at what lb your pulling.