Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
I love your bed, as a Texan transplanted to Tennessee I feel this.
thanks man!
it took a bunch of prep but it was definitely worth it. didn't fully turn out as well as i wanted but it was pretty close. i'll be doing a clear bedliner over it during the winter this year. i wanted to let it "patina" a little bit before i did the bedliner.

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
Nice job. Sorry your not still here in NV, you could have coached be on waxing. What is the clay for?
using clay after washing removes stuck on contaminates that embed into the paint or that are more stuck on than normal washing can remove. things like pieces of metal or glass stuck in the clear coat, tar or overspray stuck to the paint, etc. this keeps you from picking up those things up in your compounding and polishing pads, where they can scratch the clear coat.

i know i can do better but this was my first time using a dual orbital polisher so i just did a small section to get a feel for it. i dont feel like spending all day doing a detail, so i'll probably just be going panel by panel slowly as i have time

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
Shirlee is a sweetheart for sure. Tip of the hat to your build. Damn, your dad could be my brother.
haha thanks man! i really need to get back out and do some wheeling and camping. i've been missing dirt roads and campfires.

that's not my dad, but my best friend's dad. great guy and a huge help tho!

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV

finally got these guys installed. still not wired up, but i wanted to drive around for a bit with them mounted up to see if it blocked too much air from the radiator.

it's fine.

i also don't think this mounting is gonna be permanent because i don't like how far out they stick in front of the bumper. i originally wanted to have them "recessed" into the bumper further on a custom mounting plate bolted to the front crossmember. i guess i'll still be doing that.

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
finished wiring up the Hella spot lights finally. the wiring is only temporary as im going to buy a relay/fusebox to house all of the accessory electrical stuff. but its clean enought that i can live with it and it works like it should for now.

probably visibly doubled the amount of light i have. cant wait to get to use it, and find some other bulbs for it.

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
nothing too crazy going on recently. i have a clutch i still need to install but im waiting til i can build a transmission cradle for my jack that i still need to buy, and for one of my roommates to move out and take all his stuff out of the garage so i have a full spot to work in.

just order a wiring kit on amazon for my headlights the other day and it came in. h4 ceramic plugs, 14awg wire and relays to replace/supplement the old toyota wiring. now the old headlight plug acts as a remote to activate the relays. the headlights are substantially brighter. definitely makes me feel safer driving at night

pics to prove it. low and high beam before wiring upgrade, all taken with the same shutter speed and aperture setting, as well as a fixed exposure value and white balance across all images to negate any effects from that. nothing has bee retouched.

and after with all new wiring and relays installed:

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
It's been a long time since I've posted on here. I've had a lot going with work since i moved back and im only just now catching back up to working on the truck. Poor Shirlee. Its only been upkeep from january til now. enough to keep her running.

Had to replace what i thought were bad started contacts. They were fine. Turned out the positive lead from the batter to the starter was so corroded it wasnt making a good connection most of the time. So i replaced that with a semi-permenant fix unti l i can get some really nice cable.

I've done 2 oil changes.

Also did an almost full ingnition tune up. plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Maybe more. Can't remember haha

More to come in the next post. Unfortunately, no real adventures since last year :weary::weary::weary:

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
now onto the brakes.

a while back i'd noticed the brakes rubbing, then they started to squeal a bit later. i already have pads and rotors that i bought earlier in the year, planning for this eventuality. id planned to do the brakes when i do the clutch here once I get my garage cleaned out and some time back from work.

well, it came sooner than expected.
i'd checked my pads a couple months ago and they didnt seem to be wearing down that quickly, but then i started hearing metal grinding and decided to park the truck.
] by generalee2010, on Flickr

so its time to do rotors, pads, and a bleed. might as well paint the rotor hats, hubs, and calipers while i'm at it too. turns out i have to pull the hubs to take the rotors off. so now it's all the aforementioned tasks plus a hub rebuild with new bearings and rebuild the hub lockers. also on the list. your classic 3 birds 1 stone scenario. called up marlin crawler and got a set of bearings in a hub rebuild kit shipped to me and started in on it.

what they looked like before

taking everything apart

had to use the wheel to hold the hub and knock the bolts loose holding the rotors to the hub
]

cleaning everything up and getting it painted to reinstall

I still have to rebuild everything. getting the hubs apart was harder than expected. the seal was really in there. i used a 19mm box wrench leveraged over a screwdriver with the hub set back in the wheel. then i was also replacing the bearing outer races and had to remove those. now that they're out, everything is cleaned up, painted, and ready for reassembly tomorrow.

also, im color matching my locking hub dials. they will match the truck blue. the hubs are black, and the calipers are "new ford grey", the color of part of the flag in the bed, brake drums, rotor hats, and shifter knobs.

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
Progress, but as always, less than I'd wanted.

Got the lockers rebuilt. They look sicccccckkkkkkkkkk!!
Pressed one race into the right hub with the hammer and an old bearing, then realized it was 10pm :facepalm: and I was hammering away on a piece of steel on a concrete floor. Oopsies.

Then I mocked it all up and put the rotor backing covers/vents back on. its gonna look great with some clean, waxed wheels. I love the color of this truck more and more as it ages. Maybe one day I'll have it resprayed to bring it back to its former glory.

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
Finished up the brakes this last weekend.

Painted the new calipers. Actually did it right this time.

Then i went to install the pads, and i couldn't get the inside pads to seat far enough to take the pins. The pads id ordered (like 8 months ago) were all outside pads. So i chopped the offending tabs off right quick with a death wheel and carried on with the install. Flushed with new fluid, then bled the brakes and we were good to go!

It's always so rewarding to tackle a big in-depth project like this and have it turn out really well! This one went from "pads and rotors? Ezpz!" to much more complicated rather quickly as i began to pull things apart. Then the inside pistons in the calipers were seized, and I just elected to get new ones rather than doing a rebuild. It was worth it for the peace of mind. I know i could've done it, but they were about the same price for a rebuild kit vs a new caliper.

Now that Shirlee stops again, its time for an adventure. Into the woods I go.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Hey guys!

I just moved to Reno a couple of months ago from Austin.

I'm looking forward to having access to some great places to wheel, as well as mountain-bike, hike, camp, ski, fish, etc etc etc.

Now on to the truck!

This is Shirlee. She's a 91 Toyota Pickup. Pretty much stock except for a sub and head unit the PO installed.

Single cab short bed DLX
4 wheel drive
22re
5 speed
locking hubs
125000 miles at time of purchase, 128, 5xx now (3/1/18)

And now a couple more pictures.

The crispy clean interior on this truck was a huge reason I bought it.

All these were taken just a few days after I bought it and brought it home on the fourth of July.

My goal for this truck is to eventually build a capable rig that can handle trails, some crawling, and some desert bombing that's built for limited or lightweight overland/expo outings. I also want it to have enough road manners, power, reliability, comfort, economy, and novel modularity to be a potential daily when needed.

I want to use this project to gain new skills (in the garage and behind the wheel) and test out engineering and product ideas and concepts.

This will take some real time to get through and build it like I want. I don't cut corners and I do my best to do things right the first time.

I have a rough outline of how I want it to go, in phases.

Phase 1: Road worthy
- reinstall smog stuff
- NV plates and whatnot
- new battery, big 3 or 4 upgrade
- finish fluids replacement, all redline stuff
- basic tune up stuff (plugs, wires, belts, rotor and cap, filters, etc.)
- shocks
- pads and rotors, shoes and drums if needed
- brake and clutch bleeds
- new 22re sticker
- wheels and tires
- shift bushings
- diff and t-case breathers
- pait bed/clear bedliner
- lots of odds and ends

Phase 1.5: comfy/less slowly but still Shirlee
- sound system upgrade from "just a little bump" to delicious sound quality
- bed storage and organization system
- in cab organization
- soft topper or something similar, or custom
- new seats
- bearings, bushings, engine and cab mounts
- any retroactive replacement/upgrade opportunities
- performance upgrades for the motor, but small stuff (cleaned out injectors, headers and exhaust, intake side swap, etc.)
- new side graphics and tailgate logo
- headlights, side markers, etc. in a slightly different configuration

Phase 2: trail rated
- i'll have to flesh this out later
- includes rtt, suspension upgrades, rear discs and upgrades all around, lockers, bumpers, winch, armor, etc.
- lots of fun ideas for this one

Phase 3: go faster
- diesel swap (edit: no diesel swaps in reno or vegas apparently :( )
- looks like a 3.4, or a 7mgte swap instead - that's ok. i'll get fun spool-y and wastegate flutter sounds either way

----Slowly but surely it will get there and get me there----
You are an Overlander after my own heart! I like to think things out, and come up with a build plan. Your thread reminds me of mine: 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Build You mentioned wanting to gain new skills in the garage, but from what I've seen so far you're pretty handy with a wrench! The t-chain is one that scares off lots of folks, but you jumped right in and got it done. I guess you're already back in Austin, but before it looked like you were hitting the Tahoe NF a lot, which is one of my favorite places to be. I'm sure Austin has plenty to offer within a few hours as well.

For "Phase 2" once you start looking at lifts, I'll throw out the idea of a solid axle swap. They're not terribly hard to do, and at the end of the day you won't spend a ton more than lifting and locking your IFS... but you'll have a way more capable rig. I had a '86 4Runner (also 22RE) and back when I wheeled that Marlin Crawler was the best stuff for the SAS. I had the whole MC kit, a used set of front and rear axles that were already geared and ARB-locked, the rear stuff to do Chevy 63"s, double t-cases, etc. for my 'runner but ended up having to sell it all to pay for some college stuff before I got the swap done. Obviously it was the right choice... but man I always wanted to get that rig done.

For "Phase 3" I guess smog laws aren't a problem anymore since you're back in Texas? Maybe a RB2.8?

-TJ

Reactions: genera_lee

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
You are an Overlander after my own heart! I like to t... Texas? Maybe a RB2.8?

-TJ
Thanks for the kind words!!

I am pretty mechanically inclined, and I'm not scared of a challenge. But being an engineer, I tend to overthink things, so the truck is a good conglomerate of design and engineering evaluation with a healthy dose of elbow grease and common sense. Keeps me sharp but also connected to what I'm working on.

As for phases 2 and 3: those are constantly shifting. The idea behind each one is still the same(phase 1.x - be comfy ; phase 2 - tackle tougher trails; phase 3 - tackle the same trails faster with more fun noises), but the implementation may look different as I learn and grow as an engineer and a wrench.

I'm currently leaning toward an f150 spring swap, or 63s with frenched hangers, and boxed frame rails. The ball joint spacers in the front. Lunch box locker in the front, air or e locker rear, regeared appropriately. And some creature comfort mods thrown in.

Engine swap is still a pipe dream. I had a guy offer to sell me the 1jz in his sc300 if he pulls it, so we'll see how that turns out. But besides that, Shirlee will stay in the realm of weekend mods for the foreseeable future.

Air compressor install is my next big project. Gotta be able to inflate those paddle boards!

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
lots to add. will have to come back and fill in details later.

totaled my daily over christmas, so shirlee is the daily.

then the RONA.
got halftime furloughed, so no projects for some time.
im now back to work full time as of this month and bakc to doing projects and trips hopefully.

moved into a new place, built out a sweet garage.
and finally fixed the main oil leak i'd been dreading to fix for 2 years. front main seal and oil pump.

and i'm going on 2 camping trips this weekend! woohoo

Reactions: RoarinRow

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
ended up only on one camping trip. went to inks lake and had a great time! early moring trail run with my pup had me making lots of spider friends....:coldsweat:

back to sequential updates now:

moved into a new place first of september. it had the most important things. a yard, and a 2 car garage. we promptly went to work spoiling ourselves with a nice garage setup. enough room to work on cars and bike, and bench, tv and sound system, and a gym setup too. its fantastic. if it had AC and a beer fridge i wouldnt ever leave.

this is just the back wall:

i also made this trick modular socket storage in my toolbox. peg board base with 3d printed inserts that hold the sockets and wrenches in place. still some tweaking is left to be done on it, but its functional and unique:

then, the biggest thing i've done to Shirlee in quite some time.
i replaced the oil pump and repaired the harmonic balancer. i also replaced the fan clutch as it was definitely dead.

this is 100% doable without removing the radiator. it just takes some finesse and the mouth of a sailor to remove the fan, fan clutch, and radiator upper fan shroud all as one jacobs ladder type assembly and lower them onto the ground, or in my case my foot. it would also behoove you to release the belt tension on the alternator/waterpump belt. i dont have AC, so that may change things.

starter bumped the crank pulley fixing bolt off. i stressed about that one for 2 weeks, worries i was gonna break something and be completely screwed. no way i could have extracted that out of the crank without wayyyyy more work. luckily, fortune smiled on ya boy and i was able to get it off without drama.

the worst thing about the whole ordeal was finding out my alternator was a piece of garbage and the bracket holding the top of the alternator had snapped. i was able to get it all back together just fine to where it doesnt move, but that will need to be replaced eventually. i'll either do a GM alt swap or get spendy with a high output LCE unit.

enough typing, my fingers hurt. have a look at why i thought my front end was oil niagra falls:

not 2, but 3 rings in my harmonic balancer. sleeved it and now we're good.

messed up oring causing some issues im sure

old vs new

shirlee still leaks oil. but only a couple of drops now instead of a puddle before. still not sure where from. possibly oil pan but i really doubt that. definitely not distributor o ring or bolt, both are new and have stayed clean. i'm thinking where the head and timing over meet the block, and/or where the block and cover meet the oil pan. my money is on "and" over "or".