HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Valve adjustments are so much fun on a hot engine....

Finished that up last night. And started on dropping the oil pan to reseal it to the block. Hopefully I'll finish that one by tomorrow evening.

In more important news:

Got my custom plates boy!

So stoked.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Nice

Sent from my SM-G960U using OB Talk mobile app

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
finally finished my simple dual bike rack setup with inset captured nuts in the board to keep the bed from getting too scratched. plus i've always wanted a reason to use them. pretty pleased with the decision.

and went on a camping trip to graeagle

Last edited:

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
after some craigslist runarounds (literally, i ran around all weekend after items from cragslist ads), i ended up with some wheels from a wrecked '97 FJ80 with popped tires, and some yakima crossbars that span the whole bed. in the next couple of weeks Shirlee will be getting some new shoes (what do you call wheels if tires are considered shoes? feet?) in the next 2 weeks. finally.

real sad seeing a 40th like this, but the driver's side is totally mushed. luckily the frame is straight and the owner has some awesome plans for it.

Also hiked Galena creek park to check it out, can't wait to ride there!

Oh and i picked up some new tools!

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
Memorial day weekend I went and camped in bishop on my way back from Vegas. Found a good camping spot and slept in my hammock for the first time this season thru the whole night. And I did the whole trip in my daily named Lola, a 2014 Ford Focus that I guess could also be considered an overland vehicle.

Campsite with hammock attached to the car

And the amazing views I woke up to

Both where literally shot from the hammock.

I'll definitely be going back to do some climbing there in the near future.

Last edited:

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
Then this last weekend I finally got new tires for Shirlee. I'd been waiting to get them until I made a fully thought out decision on the tires I wanted.

The look for the truck turned out honestly better than I'd hoped. The stance is perfect. No rubbing. And they look right at home on there.

Stance

I also picked up some trail tools. Can't wait to use them this weekend!

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Then this last weekend I finally got new tires for Shirlee. I'd been waiting to get them until I made a fully thought out decision on the tires I wanted.

The look for the truck turned out honestly better than I'd hoped. The stance is perfect. No rubbing. And they look right at home on there.

Stance

I also picked up some trail tools. Can't wait to use them this weekend!
I know wher you took that pic of your rig. I recognize the hill. [emoji41]

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
last night while driving home from home depot, Shirlee died on me going around a roundabout while exiting the interstate

i was picking up a small selection of lumber to rebuild the bed rack i made in order to hold my gas can and water can more securely, pics to follow.

got my roommate to tow me home (maybe 1/2 mile) and started on my discovery to figure out the cause.

first thought was fuel pump cause it would crank but not start.
then i realized i wasn't getting the check engine light (MIL) coming on when going from off to ACC with the key. \
Quick check of the FSM shows MIL lamp on the EFI circuit. checked the EFI fuse under the hood.
Sure enough, efi fuse was blown. took the fuse from the cigarette lighter circuit and put it in the EFI fuse, and she cranked right up no problem.

Now i need to track down the cause. my thought is O2 sensor wiring grounded out and shorted. but on further reading, it could be the fuel pump wiring or the knock sensor, with the former being more likely. i'll have to dig into that this weekend and track down the culprit.

al in all the experience wasnt too bad. i'm just glad i wasnt out in the middle of nowhere with no cell service or putting down the freeway when it happened.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
last night while driving home from home depot, Shirlee died on me going around a roundabout while exiting the interstate

i was picking up a small selection of lumber to rebuild the bed rack i made in order to hold my gas can and water can more securely, pics to follow.

got my roommate to tow me home (maybe 1/2 mile) and started on my discovery to figure out the cause.

first thought was fuel pump cause it would crank but not start.
then i realized i wasn't getting the check engine light (MIL) coming on when going from off to ACC with the key. \
Quick check of the FSM shows MIL lamp on the EFI circuit. checked the EFI fuse under the hood.
Sure enough, efi fuse was blown. took the fuse from the cigarette lighter circuit and put it in the EFI fuse, and she cranked right up no problem.

Now i need to track down the cause. my thought is O2 sensor wiring grounded out and shorted. but on further reading, it could be the fuel pump wiring or the knock sensor, with the former being more likely. i'll have to dig into that this weekend and track down the culprit.

al in all the experience wasnt too bad. i'm just glad i wasnt out in the middle of nowhere with no cell service or putting down the freeway when it happened.
Sorry to hear you had this issue. Hope you find and resolve the sensor issue so you can join some local runs.

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
Sorry to hear you had this issue. Hope you find and resolve the sensor issue so you can join some local runs.

Figured out why the EFI fuse was blowing. The O2 sensor wiring had moved and fallen out of its clips under the truck. The wiring harness fell into the exhaust and melted all the covering and insulation.

I'm currently fixing it and will make sure it's much more secure from now on.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Figured out why the EFI fuse was blowing. The O2 sensor wiring had moved and fallen out of its clips under the truck. The wiring harness fell into the exhaust and melted all the covering and insulation.

I'm currently fixing it and will make sure it's much more secure from now on.

Mine did the same on the 4Runner and I had to replace the harness. [emoji12]

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
Mine did the same on the 4Runner and I had to replace the harness. [emoji12]

You have a 4runner? Nice!

I just finished the fix. Literally just got out from under the truck and started it. No CEL, seems good to go. Wire is nice is secure now too.

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
Well a lot has changed since I last posted.
Changed jobs, moved back to Austin, and am enjoying life a whole lot more!

I miss the mountains and the access I had, but that's vastly overshadowed by the community and family I have close to me now.

In other news - look at all these pictures!

IMG_1217.JPG
Loaded down and rolling out back to the lone star state

IMG_1223.JPG
Camping spot on the drive back

IMG_1232.JPG
The man who made it possible

IMG_1265.JPG
IMG_1333.JPG
IMG_1339.JPG
Overland hound

Aaaaaand... Let someone drive Shirlee and they roasted the clutch. So I bought a new one. New Marlin crawler 1600 lb clutch, New flywheel, and other obligatory accouterments.
IMG_1341.JPG

Attachments

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
IMG_1432.JPG
Headlight went out last week so I ordered some hella sealed beam conversions. Material difference in light output, but by no means staggering. I'll be upgrading the wiring harness soon with a relay and heavier gauge wire. Apparently the stock Headlight wiring harness leaves a lot on the table.

Last edited:

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
Started the slow paint correction process on shirlee. She'll still be a 10 footer, but at least the paint between the big scratches will look good. I'm going panel by panel as I have time. Clean, clay, compound, polish, wax. Here was a test on the worst panel on the truck, the roof:

The left side is finished. The ride side is untouched

It's really gonna pop once i finish it all up and put some wax/sealant/(maybe)ceramic-coating on there. i do love the color of this truck . it's unique and iit's held up for 28 years really well. eventu

Attachments

Last edited:

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
I've also been mocking up some new lighting ideas. I have some hella black magic lights on order. This is where I plan to put them. I also plan to cut off the blue taped part of the bumper on both sides

Here's a mock up using a disc the same diameter as the lights.

I'm leaning toward this option

This is also an option. I like it lower tho

Last edited:

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Started the slow paint correction process on shirlee. She'll still be a 10 footer, but at least the paint between the big scratches will look good. I'm going panel by panel as I have time. Clean, clay, compound, polish, wax. Here was a test on the worst panel on the truck, the roof:

View attachment 73678
The left side is finished. The ride side is untouched
Nice job. Sorry your not still here in NV, you could have coached be on waxing. What is the clay for?

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I've also been mocking up some new lighting ideas. I have some hella black magic lights on order. This is where I plan to put them. I also plan to cut off the blue taped part of the bumper on both sides

Here's a mock up using a disc the same diameter as the lights.
View attachment 73682
I'm leaning toward this option
View attachment 73683
This is also an option. I like it lower tho
Agree. The lower position is best.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
The lower position is not a good thing in Texas as the roads have rocks that love low uncovered lights. The truck just keeps looking better in every post.