First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Removing sway bars.......

Advantage - More articulation. The purpose of the sway bar is to keep the two sides of the suspension, front or rear, even and together while giving limited articulation for ride comfort. Good for cornering. Good for on road handling. Bad for off road handling. Without the sway bars, the two sides of the suspension can move independently (IFS), or more independently (solid axle) and follow the terrain better in order to maintain traction. The first locker required run I did I was behind an identical Xterra, tire size, suspension package, the only difference was paint color. Except, I had removed my sway bars. Many many times when he was hanging tires in the air or spinning tires due to low traction, I was rolling through because my suspension could articulate more and maintain traction. Until he snapped a rear sway bar link.

Disadvantage - More articulation. Deleted snarky remark about Ford Explorers. Sway bars counter body roll, which is a large component that causes the inboard tires, in a turn, to un-weigh and begin a skid. I drive my Xterra like it's a lifted off road vehicle with body roll. If you drive like it's a sports car, without sway bars, you very well may end up on the side of the road, wrong side up. It all really depends on how the vehicle handles and what you use it for. Daily driver? Groceries and kids? Perhaps look into a kit that will allow quick disconnecting your sway bars. Or carry wrenches and small bungee cords to disconnect and stow them out of the way. Some vehicles come from the factory with electronically disconnecting sway bars. Dedicated dirt mobile? Hard core overland rig? Comfortable with how it handles without sway bars? Take them off. Give it a try. You can always reinstall them and seek an alternative method.

Last edited:

4Runner

Rank 0

Traveler I

Thank you for the example and in depth comparison, I feel my 4runner already has great body roll so I do not wish to have more. I am 90% street and 10% dirt so I feel this is more of a long term trip removal kind of thing. I will keep my swaybars on for safety. I don't rock crawl or flex, I just enjoy driving on dirt roads that provide scenery and fun.

Reactions: Mad Garden Gnome

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

@Mad_Garden_Gnome I hung out with the reps from Wilco Off-road a lot during the rally. I'm looking into a disconnect but it isn't too high on the list. With the new setup, the truck did awesome and obstacles I didn't think I had a chance on, went right on by without a pause. I think the next couple mods will be armor and organization.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Nice rig. I went with the KO2s as well. I love them. I can hear myself think while driving down the pavement and have yet to be left wanting more traction. I hope you have been having the same experience with yours.

Reactions: SLO Rob and Michael

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Good looking 4Runner - how are those KO2s working out? Glad the redesign has made them a bit more aggressive. May have to be my next set of tires.
No complaints at all. Lost 1mph as far as I can tell. The noise is barely more than my old freeway tires, way above average off road. I'm very happy with them. And you're right, the sidewalls do have more aggressive look imo...get 'em!

Reactions: Michael

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Thanks Jordan! It's been very capable, and a bit of a "sleeper" too...
Even though I'm a "Jeep Guy" i do really like the Toyotas, although the newer ones i am not a fan of their styling but they are very capable vehicles. Would really like a new 4-Runner Pro

Reactions: SLO Rob