Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Canoga Park, CA 91303
First Name
James
Last Name
Morin
Member #

Now that the new adjustable leg skottle has come out, I've really been contemplating picking one up. I am still using a Coleman dual burner flip open propane stove. The skottle appears to be a step up, but boy are they pricey (I mean an investment). How many of you are still using the Coleman? If so, is there any reason other than price not to purchase? For those that have moved to the skottle, could you go back or is it the best thing since sliced bread?

I'd love to hear some member experiences!

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

I still use my trusty two burner. I’ve been cooking on them for 20 years and have no real interest in trying anything different.

That being said, my dad has a tripod that suspends a big cast iron skillet type deal and it’s come in handy when cooking for larger groups. The idea is kind of the same as the skottle. 90% of the time I camp by myself or with a single friend so usually the Coleman does just fine. If I did more trips with big groups I might start to consider the skottle or something similar.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
i agree on being useful for larger groups. I made my own from a plow disk. It’s neat and I like using it, but I can’t say it would be $300 neat.

Mountain Top

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Puyallup, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremiah
Last Name
Kelly
I am interested in doing the same. The Coleman is tried and true but in bigger groups we have to have two going and the fire pit becomes a warmer.

I like the idea of being able to cook large amounts of food without multiple pots and pans. But at three bills it's hard to justify.

Reactions: Sparksalot

MrChris

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Port Hueneme, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
March
Member #

Service Branch
Army Airborne Ranger
I had the $ and the want for one and now I wouldn't camp without our skottle...$325 IS a lot, but I literally took away a whole crate of cooking implements (Like pots, pans and cooking utensils), so I end up carrying less and have more room for the dogs lol

T1Overland

Rank II

Contributor III

Laguna Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Tachovsky
Member #

I always looked at the skottle and asked is it really worth it for the price? Eventually I went for it and it is worth every penny. Eliminates so much excess cooking gear and it’s great to cook with.

Reactions: k9sar and DickD1911

xfreeridex

Rank II

Contributor III

Denver, CO
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Baloy
Member #

I’ve had my Coleman 2 burner since the 90’s. I don't think it’s ever gonna go down and give me a chance to get a new one. I do want a Skottle though.

Reactions: k9sar

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I don’t have a Skottle, no plans to EVER purchase one... however it’s been 2 years since I have packed my Coleman 2 burner stove... portable fire pit and a cast iron DU are all I take any more...

Reactions: Maverick9110E

DickD1911

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Escambia County, Florida, United States
First Name
Dick
Last Name
DiVittorio
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4QKP
We camped with a Coleman 2 burner for many years then 2 years ago got a Skottle...
It makes cooking and cleanup very easy.
The Coleman stays in the camper but seldom comes out anymore.
I would consider leaving the Coleman home but not the Skottle.

Reactions: MrChris

jmorin41

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Canoga Park, CA 91303
First Name
James
Last Name
Morin
Member #

It's good to see the Skottle is valued by those who have picked one up. I also see you can easily get by with the tried-and-true Coleman. I'd go the DIY route, but I have too many unfinished projects. Thanks everyone for your input, this has been super helpful!

Reactions: k9sar

Fly501

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Choctaw, OK, USA
First Name
Levi
Last Name
Wade
Member #

I have a a Skottle and a two burner. You can make your own skottle Or buy one. You can also take a wok with you.
In the end the skottle is going to take practice and will lend itself to foods that you cook all at once or that will eventually end up as one. Example curry, rice dishes, trash can style breakfast, etc.
the two burners are great for just about everything else and can actually be easier and more forgiving.
But with the skottle you can make lots of food!!

Cav 3724

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Coronado California
First Name
Steve
Last Name
C
I have a two burner Coleman, a three burner(yes three burners), Coleman stove and a homemade skottle. The Coleman's can be used with liquid fuel or a propane converter. All three have their place and purpose. Can't make coffee on a skottle. Pancakes don't work so well either. I made my skottle out of a new plow disk that I welded the hole closed. $34 at a farm store. Welded on horseshoes for handles, $4.95 for a pair. While prowling around at Cabelas, I found a propane fish deep fryer. It looks pretty much like a turkey deep fryer.It has a 6.5 quart pot and a fry basket. It doesn't have legs but sits on a table just perfect. $34.95. Use it at home and camping all the time. And yes with no practice at all you too can burn the crap out of everything on a skottle. Just takes practice to perfect.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I am still using a Coleman 425 dual burner. It is light weight and it's squared size makes it very easy to pack in the back of the rig. I checked out the various Skottles at MOORE this year since they peaked my curiosity. The large carry bag and weight of the thing turned me away. Not sure I need the ability to cook for more than 3 or 4 people anyhow.

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
I have 2 Coleman 2 burners. One white gas and a propane model.. I use the white gas in cold weather because propane doesn't seem too like the cold. Mine are fairly new because I seem to have lost the ancient one over the years. I also have 2 lanterns, one of each. However Luci and Goal Zero lamps are now my go to.

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
I have a a Skottle and a two burner. You can make your own skottle Or buy one. You can also take a wok with you.
In the end the skottle is going to take practice and will lend itself to foods that you cook all at once or that will eventually end up as one. Example curry, rice dishes, trash can style breakfast, etc.
the two burners are great for just about everything else and can actually be easier and more forgiving.
But with the skottle you can make lots of food!!

I'm looking for a 14" wok that will fit my Volcano grill.

Reactions: Fly501

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I do substantial meals frequently when we camp so I'll stick to a dual-burner and a pots/pans set. The Skottle would be nice for a large group type meals but it just doesn't work for how I cook. Like how i see most cast iron for camping... seems to be more usable in a large group.

Reactions: peeeeetey