Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I guess my somewhat introvert tendencies pay off. Not sure I want to go places where I"m cooking for large groups of people to the point a harrow disc sized cooking surface is needed. My dual burner propane stove. a cast iron griddle and all my other cooking stuff and multiple days of food fit in a standard sized gym bag.

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Coleman 413E liquid fuel double burner (Acquired at a yard sale from my mid sixties college days) and a Coleman 533 liquid fuel single burner (early nineties vintage) make up our basic setup. The frying pan or griddle go on the left burner and the Coleman oven (Also from same yard sale) on the right. Coffee perks on the single burner. With a bit of searching at local thrift stores and yard sales, all can be had for under $50 total. There's probably a lot of better gear available these days but this has worked well for over fifty years and I'm comfortable with using it.

Reactions: k9sar and Downs

OutdoorsBen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Western Massachusetts
Member #

I’ve been using a Coleman 2-burner forever and I have the lodge grill/griddle cast iron attachment. While I’m intrigued at a skottle I just don’t see a purpose or need, for me personally. I can do everything on my stove with my griddle/grill attachment that I can do with the skottle and I can easily boil water and cook large pots of food. Just my .02

Reactions: Downs

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I'm still using a Coleman 2 burner. It really doesn't use much fuel for a weekend and I can usually get away with a little under a litre of fuel per year. It really doesn't owe me anything but I can't see myself getting rid of it for anything that uses propane tanks 20200705_092926.jpg

MrChris

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Port Hueneme, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
March
Member #

Service Branch
Army Airborne Ranger
Just took our skottle for its 2nd outing. We took a whole box of stuff LESS, than the last time and we still brought the 2 burner Coleman, because we were afraid ...Not again, doubt we'll be bringing the Coleman for a while. the burner of the skottle comes out, and is basically, a Coleman single burner. On the side of the Coleman, it's inexpensive and works come Hell or high water! lol

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I own a Coleman 3 burner (any gas will do). A Camp Partner 2 burner. Also turkey frier with a wok and jumbo pot. I have done food for 20 for a week 4 or 5 times. Give me a stove any day. I also grill on the trail and at home. I have fried turkeys in the middle of Baja. I use a wok 2 or 3 times per month, I use my stove top everyday. I see Disca’s as a novelty camping thing. Your mileage may vary.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Coleman 413E liquid fuel double burner (Acquired at a yard sale from my mid sixties college days) and a Coleman 533 liquid fuel single burner (early nineties vintage) make up our basic setup. The frying pan or griddle go on the left burner and the Coleman oven (Also from same yard sale) on the right. Coffee perks on the single burner. With a bit of searching at local thrift stores and yard sales, all can be had for under $50 total. There's probably a lot of better gear available these days but this has worked well for over fifty years and I'm comfortable with using it.
Im on the hunt for one now. Would love some biscuits and gravy lol

Reactions: huachuca

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Im on the hunt for one now. Would love some biscuits and gravy lol
The 413 series are hard to beat, especially the older ones with the larger tank and adjustable legs and they're all wide enough for the oven and a decent sized frying pan. I've got an E, F, G and H with the E being my favorite - its over sixty years old and the only thing I've replaced is the cap gasket.

Breakfast on a cool morning on Lehman Creek in Great Basin Nat Park.
IMG_6477.JPG

Reactions: k9sar

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I just meant the oven. I'm pretty happy with my dual burner propane stove. I liked my dual fuel 424 for the most part after it was running. Didn't care for futzing with it to get it up and going when a propane stove is just a spark away from being ready to go. And it was larger than I wanted mostly too "thick".

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Nothing at all wrong with propane - as you can see, I carry that firepit along whenever we're traveling in a campfires restricted area. The oven does work well once you get accustomed to it. Having a large flat rock in the bottom helps to keep the temp regulated. IIRC, we had some made from scratch biscuits rising in the shot I posted.

Reactions: k9sar and Downs

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
I built a cowboy wok. We've used it twice for making breakfast. It's great as a big fryer. Use the coleman for heating water, making coffee, everything except frying. If I had to choose between them I'd keep the coleman

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
My Coleman liquid fuel stove was inherited from my grandfather (and I'm 54). The only cookware I use is a single small skillet and a stainless cup. I rarely do more cleanup than just wiping them out.

I don't get the comments about skottles saving on cookware. It doesn't get much easier than a single skillet. Well, I do also have the stainless cup for heating soup and water, but how is that done on the skottle? I also use that cup for eating cereal, etc.

I've been around a few skottles and still struggle to understand why people like them. I must admit, however, that I'm cooking for one.

Reactions: KonzaLander

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
To be fair I don't own a skottle. I cannot envision a time that I would ever drop that kind of money on one. Especially given the fact that you still need at least a single burner stove to boil water and make coffee as well as just about every other side dish. Nope, I can buy a small wok if I want one and use it on the stove but for me at least my 2 sided griddle on my Coleman will do everything that Skottle will do much cheaper. If I knew somebody with one I'd love to try it out but I am not dropping that kind of money on a big maybe.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I do substantial meals frequently when we camp so I'll stick to a dual-burner and a pots/pans set. The Skottle would be nice for a large group type meals but it just doesn't work for how I cook. Like how i see most cast iron for camping... seems to be more usable in a large group.
Depends on the size of skillet, I have a 6” skillet for when it’s myself, at home we use the 18” for everything, I also have several DU sizes... small (2QT) Medium (4 QT) and a large (8 QT). I still want/need a griddle... I do all of my cooking over a portable fire pit... when the burn bans come, I can still use the fire pit with charcoal, or with an added propane burner.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Depends on the size of skillet, I have a 6” skillet for when it’s myself, at home we use the 18” for everything, I also have several DU sizes... small (2QT) Medium (4 QT) and a large (8 QT). I still want/need a griddle... I do all of my cooking over a portable fire pit... when the burn bans come, I can still use the fire pit with charcoal, or with an added propane burner.
It's more the weight for me. A single 10 inch skillet is 5 lbs and a dutch oven is almost 3x that. My entire kitchen set weighs less than that that dutch oven if I exclude the stove.

If I were in a full-size I'd include cast iron for the versatility but right now, capacity is at a premium and I don't carry extra weight were I don't have to.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Much like the Jeep / Harley argument, I don't have Jeep/Harley/Skottle money, so, my Nissan, my pedal bike and my Coleman 2 burner stove is the set up for me.
Just gotta look outside of Wranglers for the low cost Jeeps. Grand Cherokees (ZJs, WJs) sometimes XJs but their prices are slowly climbing and finding a clean stock one is getting harder.

k9sar

Local Expert, Georgia USA

Enthusiast III

Rydal, GA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4EKF
I have a two burner Coleman, a three burner(yes three burners), Coleman stove and a homemade skottle. The Coleman's can be used with liquid fuel or a propane converter. All three have their place and purpose. Can't make coffee on a skottle. Pancakes don't work so well either. I made my skottle out of a new plow disk that I welded the hole closed. $34 at a farm store. Welded on horseshoes for handles, $4.95 for a pair. While prowling around at Cabelas, I found a propane fish deep fryer. It looks pretty much like a turkey deep fryer.It has a 6.5 quart pot and a fry basket. It doesn't have legs but sits on a table just perfect. $34.95. Use it at home and camping all the time. And yes with no practice at all you too can burn the crap out of everything on a skottle. Just takes practice to perfect.

I love your DIY idea and am going to give it a try! That being said I'll continue to use the Circa 1960's two burner and three burner Colemans that I inherited from my parents. Mainly because I love coffee and my grands love PawPaw's pancakes. ;-)