Rank II

Contributor III

Crescent City Ca
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Swanson
Member #

Forgive me if this is a repeat topic. I went back several months in the threads and did not see anything like this addressed.

I have a 2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Quad Cab with the Short bed. Going to build it out for Overlanding. Anyone out there used both a skeleton rack and camper shell for overlanding. Which did you like better and why? I have an idea as to the Pros and Cons of each. Skeleton rack is cheaper, lighter more tie down options, easier access to some mounted equipment. Camper shell is more secure, keep equipment dryer, less dusty, have a little more bed cargo capacity. I'm sure there are more of each but that is the general idea. If anyone can che in with their opinion and or experience with either of these options I would appreciate it.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have both. I have a rack that fits around my shell. It looks like a contractors rack that sits over the shell. Mine is custom super long 12 1/2 ft with 5 cross members, the 10' long 6" EMT tube holder for long skinny stuff adds to the look. I carry a kayak, surfboards, fuels, on the rack. I also bungie a 10" X 12" trap to it. I drive a RAM 2500 long bed 4 door cab. Space isn't a issue, Crawling isn't my program, nothing bigger than knee high.

fyrmanswanny

Rank II

Contributor III

Crescent City Ca
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Swanson
Member #

I have both. I have a rack that fits around my shell. It looks like a contractors rack that sits over the shell. Mine is custom super long 12 1/2 ft with 5 cross members, the 10' long 6" EMT tube holder for long skinny stuff adds to the look. I carry a kayak, surfboards, fuels, on the rack. I also bungie a 10" X 12" trap to it. I drive a RAM 2500 long bed 4 door cab. Space isn't a issue, Crawling isn't my program, nothing bigger than knee high.
Not sure going with both would be something I want to do. I won't exactly be rock crawling either but would like to keep the profile down for some of the narrowed trails I know I will end up on based on where I intend to camp, fish and hunt. Appreciate the input tho. Do you have a picture of your set up? Interested in what it looks like.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
the wife and i have tried several options and eventually liked this one. we have a camper shell with a decked drawer set up that we sleep on and have the long pullout drawers for a good bit of storage. we have a cargo basket on top for extra totes and an 11 pound propane tank. we also went with a swing out cargo basket for the rear hitch. as you can see in the pic, we have our cooler on the swing out and then we just swing it out to access the rear and it works great. for cooking, i set up on the tailgate and have the cooler right there next to me. really nothing to set up or take down. i can break camp and be on the road in under 5 minutes.

i also have a 50w panel on top that is permanent and it charges a 35ah battery dedicated for lights, pump, etc in the shell.

when were not traveling, i take out the mattress and i have the pull out drawers for tool storage and plenty of dry space in back for groceries and stuff. i'm retired, but still work and do stuff and the camper shell is nice because i have all that covered and protected bed area for tools and stuff and i dont have to worry about theft or exposure to rain, etc its just a great setup for me overall

1652452676636.jpeg

Last edited:

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

I wrestled with this decision a couple years ago. Ultimately I decided the camper shell with load bars on top was the way to go for our needs. I learned their weight rating was far less than I expected but since having them I realized just how little I use them.

The racks look amazing and have decent utility but unless you're using them frequently I don't see the benefits out weighing the usefulness of a camper shell. I keep moving blankets, a box of tiedowns/tools and frequently have miscellaneous stuff in my truck bed that I can leave back there without worry of getting rained on or lifted by sticky fingers. I made a drop-in padded/insulated floor that we can also sleep on if we want to keep our camp fast and light by not setting up tent. If tie-down locations are a fetish for you, there's a company that makes grid panels that bolt onto the inside walls of truck beds. They look really cool and can support the sort of things you would brace on an external rack.

If I had a quad or dirtbikes that would obviously impact the decision, but I have a trailer I could load them up on also.

CMac

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, VA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
McIntyre
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4UNO
Service Branch
USN
It's In Baja, very good right point. The rule in Baja is never name a surf spot on the internet.
Ya, I know that rule....after a few years in San Diego and road trips down toward Ensenada.

Reactions: MMc