Size Matters? So what if it's a little odd? (tires)

• HTML tutorial

20DYNAMITE07

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Hey folks!
Like many, I spend an inordinate amount of time fantasizing about what I would/should do to my truck, and recently I've been fixating on tires. And not just any tires... BIGGER tires.

Now, we have a 5th gen 4Runner, so realistically the largest tire we are going to run is at or around a 32 or 33. On a LC150 platform, a 33 is about as big as you can go without chopping body mounts. As a family man, who carries not only myself, but my wife and our precious little @-holes...errrr kids, I mean our kids, around, I don't want to mess with anything that might impact the integrity of the vehicle in an accident.

SO...that leaves me with a few options, each with pros and cons.

285/70r17 - about 33" tall... these will be the biggest/heaviest
255/80r17 - also about 33" tall and a little narrower. That means lighter weight, and less wheel scrub... BUT*
275/70r17 - about 32.5" tall, a nice size that should fit pretty easily with a minor lift...BUT*
255/75r17 - about 32.25" tall, so bigger than stock, and the lightest plus size.

So what's with the BUTS*?

In truth... I'm most excited about the BUT* sizes, however there are limitations. Specifically, choice and availability. These are both odd ducks... with about 5 or so different tire options each. That means they run a little more expensive, and if I were ever in Small Townsville, USA and needed to replace a tire, Ye Ole' Tire Shoppe most likely will NOT have one in stock.

Where as the 285/70 and the 255/75 are FAR more common (the 255/75 being the stock tire size on a Jeep Wrangler), so the options are more plentiful, and in the 255 size anyway, are actually pretty cheap. Here though, there are drawbacks too... specifically size and weight. A 285/70 LT tire can be a bit of a pig weight wise, and will require a taller lift to where I might need to change my Upper Control Arms too. Meanwhile, the 255/75 is taller than my stock size, but not a whole lot and isn't going to give me too much lift for my pumpkin, which truth be told, is one of the main reasons why I'm interested in doing this to begin with.

SO... here's the question for the folks who've upsized their tires (or anyone who feels like sharing their opinion) - when you all picked your tire size, was replacement accessibility something that weighed on your decision? Am I over thinking this? Is there something I'm not thinking enough about?

Inquiring minds want to know-

Cheers

EDIT for Dirt Road Tax
FathersDay2016DSC_0117 by scottybell1313, on Flickr

codesertrat

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

I run 275/75/17 bfg ko2 on my 4th gen 4runner and did not had to trim anything or add a wheel spacer. The tires do rub a little at full lock but nothing crazy. I have seen quite a few discount tire shops carry them as well so chances are okay the tire might be able to be sourced quickly. One plus is it fits in the stock spare location at 60 psi

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Reactions: 20DYNAMITE07

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I'm running BF Goodrich LT275-70-17 TA KO2 tires on my stock suspension 2016 4Runner without any rubbing so far. I've had it on mild trails, but nothing like rock crawling and full articulation. a *lot* of folks on t4r.org have the same size tire on stock 5th gen suspension without rubbing problems.

As for concern over finding a replacement, I changed all five, so my spare is the same tire. Hopefully I won't be in a situation when're I need two spares..

Reactions: 20DYNAMITE07

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

Running a 285 70 17 with 17x9 wheels.

In truth I always prefer the wider tire options (285 being the widest of your options). Off road point of view, wider tires tend to float over stuff. Won't sink as deep into sand.

On road view, more rubber is in contact with the road which means more traction.

I did notice a small drop in mileage, but I gained a massive amount of comfort due to more sidewall to flex before the suspension has to move. I run mine at about 32 psi too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
Just a heads up since you seem pretty interested in the 255/75's: They're a bit skinny for their height. They looked so weird on my Jeep that I had to sell them and buy a set of 265/70's. Also, that size is not that common really. You can't get a General Grabber AT2 in that size. Others, like the DuraTracs which come in that size, are only sold in a Prated 5 ply and not the LT. That kind of leaves you with BFG's if you're looking for an AT tire. BFG's are great but I'm just saying that you actually don't have a whole lot of choices in that size. And, most tires in that size are recommended for no wider that an 8.5" rim which is something you'd want to keep in mind if you're planning on aftermarket wheels down the road.

20DYNAMITE07

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Just a heads up since you seem pretty interested in the 255/75's: They're a bit skinny for their height. They looked so weird on my Jeep that I had to sell them and buy a set of 265/70's. Also, that size is not that common really. You can't get a General Grabber AT2 in that size. Others, like the DuraTracs which come in that size, are only sold in a Prated 5 ply and not the LT. That kind of leaves you with BFG's if you're looking for an AT tire. BFG's are great but I'm just saying that you actually don't have a whole lot of choices in that size. And, most tires in that size are recommended for no wider that an 8.5" rim which is something you'd want to keep in mind if you're planning on aftermarket wheels down the road.
LOL, you should check out the 255/80's then. They don't call them pizza cutters for nothing

Reactions: Dana Ramos

WolfHunter3877

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

New York, New York
Member #

I run 265t70r17 bfg ko2 on my 2016 4runner TEP and couldn't be happier, I was between the stock 265s or the 275/70s but I found a deal I couldn't pass up so I got the 265, I don't think I would have been as happy with the heavier 275s, planning on doing a mild lift in the future, 2/1" most likely