Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Here is one of my two water systems that I use when exploring/overlanding. What do you use for water? How do you carry it? How would you carry it if space was tight?

$60 DIY Overland Onboard Water System

Cool cool, great DIY and another helpful vid, Mark. You're building a nice series!

You asked at the end what we think and to add comments.

Here's what I've learned over the years:

I did a jug like that years back, with a valve at the bottom. It eventually broke from rough handling on the trail because it protrudes and, being at the bottom, always ended up with stuff being loaded on top of it. Mine actually ended up leaking first from getting yanked up out of where it was and over time weakening from the faucet being vulnerable.

When Front Runner came out with a jerry with a recessed faucet--in a thick and rugged 5gal jerry which fits my packing scheme perfectly with other similarly sized jugs--I was all over it.

It has become one of my most used pieces of gear.

I use it as simple water system in the van when it's too freezing to keep my trailer tank full, and use it regularly to haul water and refill my trailer tank, as in the image below. I swapped out the white plastic valve it came with for a brass tap upgrade with threaded hose end. Being recessed has made all the difference in the world, especially when packing or yanking it up out of a pack job. After two and a half years of regular and hard use, has no leaks or other problems.

waterjug-filling_0869-900.jpg
I set my jerry on the trailer side and bungee a funnel so it can empty into the trailer tank unattended.

I bought mine for less than $60 here, at Exploration Outfitters in Oklahoma, a few years ago when I picked up a mess of other stuff. It's also available on amzn, though for a bit more plus shipping. EO in OK has a bunch of great stuff in their store for online ordering and a bunch of Front Runner products. Great shop, great service, great guys. #noaffilation - just love their service.

For cooking and drinking water when backcountry or when I wonder about the potability of available water, I use a clear 2.5 gal jug. Red arrow in the image below. Not flimsy in the least, either, it serves me really well. I got mine at a big box store or chain grocery, I don't remember. I buy inexpensive gallons of good spring water when I find it for my coffee and fill this jug with that.

2.5 gals can go a long way, and this jug sometimes serves--when running the interstate and not wanting to set up the trailer or pull out the black jerry if it's stowed--as my daily water source for drinking, cooking, and washing. It nestles right into the side of my kitchen box when on the counter.

2.5waterjug copy.jpg

Something worth mentioning--whether you go out for long periods or store your water containers for long periods--is keeping your water containers clean. Might not seem so, but the darker your container is, the less problematic it will be from algae and bacteria growing. The more light your container lets in, the more it will foster bacterial growth and algae bloom.

I regularly run a bleach solution through all my jugs, jerrys, and trailer tank to clean and disinfect:

watersanitize_1699-900.jpg

The best way to clean a water system, per research from university and AG studies, is to add 0.5 ounces (15ml) of unscented household bleach per gallon of water.

For 5gal Jerry jugs that would be 2.5 ounces (75ml) per 5 gals.

Let it slosh around good, open any faucet and shower connections on your system to get the solution through all water lines, pour that back into the tank, and let it all sit for 24 hours. Same with jugs and jerrys; 24 hrs before flushing and rinsing with good clean water.

I don’t like wasting water, but dislike even more that my containers and tank may be harboring harmful bacteria. Having intestinal troubles from bad water anytime is no fun, and even less fun when on the road and off-grid.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay healthy!

Last edited:

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

Cool cool, great DIY and another helpful vid, Mark. You're building a nice series!

You asked at the end what we think and to add comments.

Here's what I've learned over the years:

I did a jug like that years back, with a valve at the bottom. It eventually broke from rough handling on the trail because it protrudes and, being at the bottom, always ended up with stuff being loaded on top of it. Mine actually ended up leaking first from getting yanked up out of where it was and over time weakening from the faucet being vulnerable.

When Front Runner came out with a jerry with a recessed faucet--in a thick and rugged 5gal jerry which fits my packing scheme perfectly with other similarly sized jugs--I was all over it.

It has become one of my most used pieces of gear.

I use it as simple water system in the van when it's too freezing to keep my trailer tank full, and use it regularly to haul water and refill my trailer tank, as in the image below. I swapped out the white plastic valve it came with for a brass tap upgrade with threaded hose end. Being recessed has made all the difference in the world, especially when packing or yanking it up out of a pack job. After two and a half years of regular and hard use, has no leaks or other problems.

View attachment 148815
I set my jerry on the trailer side and bungee a funnel so it can empty into the trailer tank unattended.

I bought mine for less than $60 here, at Exploration Outfitters in Oklahoma, a few years ago when I picked up a mess of other stuff. It's also available on amzn, though for a bit more plus shipping. EO in OK has a bunch of great stuff in their store for online ordering and a bunch of Front Runner products. Great shop, great service, great guys. #noaffilation - just love their service.

For cooking and drinking water when backcountry or when I wonder about the potability of available water, I use a clear 2.5 gal jug. Red arrow in the image below. Not flimsy in the least, either, it serves me really well. I got mine at a big box store or chain grocery, I don't remember. I buy inexpensive gallons of good spring water when I find it for my coffee and fill this jug with that.

2.5 gals can go a long way, and this jug sometimes serves--when running the interstate and not wanting to set up the trailer or pull out the black jerry if it's stowed--as my daily water source for drinking, cooking, and washing. It nestles right into the side of my kitchen box when on the counter.

View attachment 148818

Something worth mentioning--whether you go out for long periods or store your water containers for long periods--is keeping your water containers clean. Might not seem so, but the darker your container is, the less problematic it will be from algae and bacteria growing. The more light your container lets in, the more it will foster bacterial growth and algae bloom.

I regularly run a bleach solution through all my jugs, jerrys, and trailer tank to clean and disinfect:

View attachment 148820

The best way to clean a water system, per research from university and AG studies, is to add 0.5 ounces (15ml) of unscented household bleach per gallon of water.

For 5gal Jerry jugs that would be 2.5 ounces (75ml) per 5 gals.

Let it slosh around good, open any faucet and shower connections on your system to get the solution through all water lines, pour that back into the tank, and let it all sit for 24 hours. Same with jugs and jerrys; 24 hrs before flushing and rinsing with good clean water.

I don’t like wasting water, but dislike even more that my containers and tank may be harboring harmful bacteria. Having intestinal troubles from bad water anytime is no fun, and even less fun when on the road and off-grid.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay healthy!

As always, thank you for your knowledge on the subject! I have always liked the idea of the Front Runner Jerry Can, if I didnt have this jug laying around I would have bought that one.

The 2.5gal jug idea has caught my eye too. We dont bring shower water with us in the jeep, we just simply dont have the space for it. All of our water is used for drinking and a small amount of dishes. Love your set up though, the more I see it the more ideas start to float around in my head!

I totally agree with you on the subject of cleanliness. I too routinely use the exact same method of sterilizing my water containers. I do not want to grow something funky in my drinking water! I too know of many people who have never cleaned the container out all.

Thank you for the awesome response!

Reactions: Road