Rank III

Pathfinder III

Pearl, Mississippi, United States
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hennessy
Member #

We pack in a Jeep JK as well. When you are building out your kitchen there are certainly some considerations. How many people are you cooking for, what do you like to eat, will you be cooking over fire etc. Once you have that down then you can start looking at gear. I have both white gas and propane two burner stoves and single burner (no need for more than one but stuff accumulates over time) and use the white gas more. We just completed a month long trip and everything was cooked over a Firebox G2 with or without the butane Trangia insert. So decide the answers to the above questions and then we can give you some steers on gear and storage. For storage we use Zarges or All-Box cases which I really like but have used Rubbermaid in the past as well.

Just remember the Jeep JK has limited payload so heavy is a bad word in most cases.
That is awesome, I'm glad you are coming back with questions to help narrow my search. my answers are below in order of what you asked.

- 9 out of 10 times I am cooking for 1, occasionally cooking for 2 but not often.
- I cook mainly with a coleman single burner mainly because I use to do ALOT of backpack camping and I already had this one, it works great but I am open to better ideas (here is a link) Coleman single burner
- I do cook over a fire if where I am going offers that. Mainly use wood. I typically carry a bundle of wood just incase I am not allowed to gather from where I am staying.

I am open to any suggestions you can offer!

Jk.Overland

Rank III

Pathfinder III

First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hennessy
Member #

How small are you trying to get? The Camp Chef is about the size of a 55qt cooler with the legs retracted.
Pretty small is what I am looking for. I have a 2dr Jeep JK. When I go on big trips i take the back seat out but that is because I typically car camp so I cant have to many "large" items in with me.

Reactions: Moebius01

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

That is awesome, I'm glad you are coming back with questions to help narrow my search. my answers are below in order of what you asked.

- 9 out of 10 times I am cooking for 1, occasionally cooking for 2 but not often.
- I cook mainly with a coleman single burner mainly because I use to do ALOT of backpack camping and I already had this one, it works great but I am open to better ideas (here is a link) Coleman single burner
- I do cook over a fire if where I am going offers that. Mainly use wood. I typically carry a bundle of wood just incase I am not allowed to gather from where I am staying.

I am open to any suggestions you can offer!
You pretty much hit the nail on the head here-you cook for one and used to backpack-so in my mind why not use the same system or upgrade what is a limiting factor. You have a butane stove that seems to work for you but is pretty limited on what it can do-meaning only small pinpoint flame that is best for boiling water or a very small diameter pan. I am a big fan of not trying to be cheap but trying to be frugal when buying gear (and I miss that by a long shot most times-the frugality that is but the first step is acknowledging my addiction!). For overlanding I would upgrade to a more versatile burner-people like the JetBoil and the Half Gen or Basecamp would be compact. I would also check out the Snow Peak BiPod or Home & Camp Burner. I assume you have pots and pans you have used, if looking to replace I am a big fan of the Banks Fry-Bake pans which work on both a stove and a fire unlike some of the non-stick stuff. If you combine the Banks with a pot for water you can do most anything and keep the kit light. Silverware, cups (I love my SnowPeak double wall 450 titanium with a lid) and other necessary prep tools are pretty small (Kai makes a good quality kitchen knives with sheath that I use) so not much to really think about there. If you are a coffee drinker (or tea) check out the new JoGo coffee straw-it is an odd concept but with a bit of dialing in it really works.

From a packing standpoint we use Zarges or Ali-box but they are expensive-you might look at the Wolf packs that were mentioned, they look a good size but maybe the 1/2 size one that I think they make.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

You have to figure out how you are going to eat. Do you cook gourmet or backpacker food? Get a backpacker stove(Msr Whisperlight International) and a Stanley cookset some white gas and you are good to go. Going to bear country? get a bear can. I like the Action Packers for dry goods and have had mine since the 80's, just don't plan on sitting on them. I keep most of my kitchen in a Pelican case 1600 I got of craigslist for $50. Stays clean and dry. There is no seal on the Action Packers.

Reactions: 9Mike2

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I am still building out my rig and I need a kitchen idea. I need it small, easy to breakdown or pack away, and preferably not a permanent fixture in my jeep.

- I still use my jeep as my daily driver so it cant be always in there
- When doing on a trip the back seat will come out so that space can be used.
- any suggestions?
How many people?
How many days?
How far off grid or....
Do you go thru a village, town, city everyday.

The ultimate kitchen for one is a mountaineering stove, and pre cooked meals.
My favourite meal mountaineering was instant rice, pre cooked chicken diced up, and cashews.
The menu is more important than the equipment.
We never packed beer, the go to was Grand Marnier or Brandy, even Scotch. No mix, no ice.

JetBoil is my current favourite just because it is soo well marketed but my son who is a chef says buy the cheapest butane single burner you can find.
You see them cooking omletes at every Sunday Brunch.

Today all my cookware is from garage sales. When overlanding in a vehicle weignt for cookware, compact nesting, is not an issue for a single guy or a couple. As a senior, my cutlery is wedding present silverware because ya might as well use it. Same for flatware, repurpose the 40 year old fine china.... that was getting used once a year. And since it was a 12 place setting...... it'll last many years.

Soo many cool ideas out there, I love this one.

FB_IMG_1628042642032.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparksalot

GrumpyRam

Rank V

Inventor I

Nevada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
DeV
Member #

Service Branch
USAF (ret)
I am really liking this setup! very compact yet has everything you may need or want. In the second picture of the stacked boxes. Is that bottom one and 8 gallon action packer? I was suggested those and I was curious how the physical size was and how "strong" or sturdy they were?
Yes. It holds the 4 in 1 grill and propane bottles. FEDC999D-C471-4977-A83D-0DED76D0FBA0.jpeg

G0to60

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Milwaukie, OR
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Larson
This may be a bit too big for you 2 door but we (my wife and I) pack this Camp Chef stove and that fits perfectly in this folding camp table from REI. Still kind of bulky but it all fits together nicely and is easy to pack or pull out when you don't need it.

Everest

Mountain Summit Gear Roll Top Kitchen | REI Co-op

Here's a picture of it set up. Sorry about the mess and explosion of gear.

20210721_081734 by Wayne Larson, on Flickr

Jk.Overland

Rank III

Pathfinder III

First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hennessy
Member #

This may be a bit too big for you 2 door but we (my wife and I) pack this Camp Chef stove and that fits perfectly in this folding camp table from REI. Still kind of bulky but it all fits together nicely and is easy to pack or pull out when you don't need it.

Everest

Mountain Summit Gear Roll Top Kitchen | REI Co-op

Here's a picture of it set up. Sorry about the mess and explosion of gear.

20210721_081734 by Wayne Larson, on Flickr
The grill may work, I really need to see the physical size of it. Also, I love the truck. I want a Gladiator so so so very bad. Maybe one day when the prices come down or I can get a used one.

Reactions: G0to60

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

I agree with GOto60 regarding the Camp Chef Everest - great stove. Having 2 burners of decent size allows for cooking real meals. Yeah, I’ve backpacked for more than 10 years and you can only only eat freeze dried spaghetti so many times. I even make cinnamon buns and biscuits in the stove. I also recommend buying the $20 padded canvas bag at Bass Pro to protect it.
As for packing, I use the inexpensive medium sized Plano boxes @ $12 each from Walmart. One for kitchen gear, including collapsible wash bins; one for non-refrigerated foods; and one for miscellaneous personal items and toiletries. An Engel cooler for the cold stuff and plastic drawers for clothing.
Not a kitchen thing, but be careful not to overpack your vehicle. Horrendous winds along with snow/ice a few nights in October prevented me from setting up the tent, so I moved enough gear to the front seats so that I could set up a bed in the back of the 4Runner. Happy I had the space!

G0to60

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Milwaukie, OR
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Larson
The grill may work, I really need to see the physical size of it. Also, I love the truck. I want a Gladiator so so so very bad. Maybe one day when the prices come down or I can get a used one.
We came from a JKU previous to this (RIP, it was totaled after being rear ended). To be honest, we really liked the JK platform for a lot of things over the Gladiator (much simpler for one) but having a truck bed really helps with gear.

You also may want to look at the foldable two burner stoves that are out there. Compact but gives you versality of having two burners. Jetboil and Coleman both make a version.

Reactions: Jk.Overland

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I drive a 4-door Jeep JL but I keep the rear seats so I just have the storage area behind those seats (in addition to my roof rack). I have a 2-burner Coleman camp stove along with a griddle plate to make it a poor man's skottle/griller and a collapsible silicon sink/cutting board and I can stack the stove/plate/sink on top of each other to save space. I have all of my cookware, utensils, plates, bowls, etc. packed in one Craftsman Toolbox. The stove and other items ride on top of that box on the trail. On one side of the tool box on the driver side I have a Dometic CFX35 fridge and other the other side of the toolbox against the passenger side wall I have a 5 gallon jerry can of water. If I need more water I can place another 5 gallon can in-line right behind the first one. The width of the fridge+tool box+jerry can is just right to fit the cargo width of my JL. I have a couple of saddle bags on attached to each side roll bar that uses the space on the sides between the roll bar and the rear cargo window. In those saddle bags I carry a number of 1lb propane cannisters, a JetBoil with a couple of its fuel cannisters, and a basic first aid kit. When I get home I can take everything easily out of the back cargo area but I usually leave the items in the saddle bags as they are always out of the way.

Jk.Overland

Rank III

Pathfinder III

First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hennessy
Member #

I drive a 4-door Jeep JL but I keep the rear seats so I just have the storage area behind those seats (in addition to my roof rack). I have a 2-burner Coleman camp stove along with a griddle plate to make it a poor man's skottle/griller and a collapsible silicon sink/cutting board and I can stack the stove/plate/sink on top of each other to save space. I have all of my cookware, utensils, plates, bowls, etc. packed in one Craftsman Toolbox. The stove and other items ride on top of that box on the trail. On one side of the tool box on the driver side I have a Dometic CFX35 fridge and other the other side of the toolbox against the passenger side wall I have a 5 gallon jerry can of water. If I need more water I can place another 5 gallon can in-line right behind the first one. The width of the fridge+tool box+jerry can is just right to fit the cargo width of my JL. I have a couple of saddle bags on attached to each side roll bar that uses the space on the sides between the roll bar and the rear cargo window. In those saddle bags I carry a number of 1lb propane cannisters, a JetBoil with a couple of its fuel cannisters, and a basic first aid kit. When I get home I can take everything easily out of the back cargo area but I usually leave the items in the saddle bags as they are always out of the way.

I really really want a roof rack but finding one that works with the 2dr is so hard. I either have to spend $500+ for just the rack or I have to get a full cage and I do not want a full cage. Do you happen to know the brand or have alink for those saddle bags? I like how that sounds being able to hang them up. It would be good for travel and since I plan to camp inside my jeep a lot, I like the idea of it not taking up floor space in my JK. I have looked at a dometic but for now I am going to stick with my cooler, I can keep ice for about 3-4 days without having to refill it (typically). I am looking a coleman single burner since 90% of the time when I go camping it will just be me or me and my small son so I do not need to be able to cook a huge feast.

Jk.Overland

Rank III

Pathfinder III

First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hennessy
Member #

We came from a JKU previous to this (RIP, it was totaled after being rear ended). To be honest, we really liked the JK platform for a lot of things over the Gladiator (much simpler for one) but having a truck bed really helps with gear.

You also may want to look at the foldable two burner stoves that are out there. Compact but gives you versality of having two burners. Jetboil and Coleman both make a version.
I came to my JK from a Ram 1500. I love my JK, I have dreamed of owning a jeep since I was a kid, but I do miss having the extra space with the truck bed.

Jk.Overland

Rank III

Pathfinder III

First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hennessy
Member #

I agree with GOto60 regarding the Camp Chef Everest - great stove. Having 2 burners of decent size allows for cooking real meals. Yeah, I’ve backpacked for more than 10 years and you can only only eat freeze dried spaghetti so many times. I even make cinnamon buns and biscuits in the stove. I also recommend buying the $20 padded canvas bag at Bass Pro to protect it.
As for packing, I use the inexpensive medium sized Plano boxes @ $12 each from Walmart. One for kitchen gear, including collapsible wash bins; one for non-refrigerated foods; and one for miscellaneous personal items and toiletries. An Engel cooler for the cold stuff and plastic drawers for clothing.
Not a kitchen thing, but be careful not to overpack your vehicle. Horrendous winds along with snow/ice a few nights in October prevented me from setting up the tent, so I moved enough gear to the front seats so that I could set up a bed in the back of the 4Runner. Happy I had the space!
Thank you for the suggestions, I am actually planning to camp inside my JK. I have already tested it and I fit and sleep perfectly in it. That is part of the reason I am looking for smaller setup. Someone else mentioned a saddle bag to store everything an dI could tie up to my side roll bars so that it doesnt take up to much space on the floor of my JK. I dont know why I never though of a collapsible wash bin, you are the second to mention that, so I have added it to my list!

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I really really want a roof rack but finding one that works with the 2dr is so hard. I either have to spend $500+ for just the rack or I have to get a full cage and I do not want a full cage. Do you happen to know the brand or have alink for those saddle bags? I like how that sounds being able to hang them up. It would be good for travel and since I plan to camp inside my jeep a lot, I like the idea of it not taking up floor space in my JK. I have looked at a dometic but for now I am going to stick with my cooler, I can keep ice for about 3-4 days without having to refill it (typically). I am looking a coleman single burner since 90% of the time when I go camping it will just be me or me and my small son so I do not need to be able to cook a huge feast.
I have these saddle bags which fit on the tailgate side of the roll bar.

These are for JL but if you do an Amazon search you should also find similar for the JK. There are also other bags which fit on the other side of the roll bar between it and the rear seats. The outer bags like the one I have have an odd shape that makes everything shift down to the bottom if you have small items but for propane cans and similar sized objects they work great.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Thank you for the suggestions, I am actually planning to camp inside my JK. I have already tested it and I fit and sleep perfectly in it. That is part of the reason I am looking for smaller setup. Someone else mentioned a saddle bag to store everything an dI could tie up to my side roll bars so that it doesnt take up to much space on the floor of my JK. I dont know why I never though of a collapsible wash bin, you are the second to mention that, so I have added it to my list!
Got them on Amazon 2 for $20. Mine are rectangular, 2.25 gallons each, have handles like a shopping basket and are listed as a “collapsible sink.”
If you’re planning to sleep in your Jeep (luv that rhyme!), you may want to consider some type of removable interior window shades. Nice for privacy and when the moon is super bright. That’s one thing I’m brainstorming right now. I met a guy who made some for his van out of black foam board and used Velcro to attached them. He sometimes overnighted in parking lots and the blacked out windows, along with a blackout curtain behind the front seats, gave the appearance of an empty vehicle.

Jk.Overland

Rank III

Pathfinder III

First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hennessy
Member #

Got them on Amazon 2 for $20. Mine are rectangular, 2.25 gallons each, have handles like a shopping basket and are listed as a “collapsible sink.”
If you’re planning to sleep in your Jeep (luv that rhyme!), you may want to consider some type of removable interior window shades. Nice for privacy and when the moon is super bright. That’s one thing I’m brainstorming right now. I met a guy who made some for his van out of black foam board and used Velcro to attached them. He sometimes overnighted in parking lots and the blacked out windows, along with a blackout curtain behind the front seats, gave the appearance of an empty vehicle.
That was my plan. I am going to get some refletix and cutout the shades and get velcro for the back and use magnets for the front windows. i already have a window shade for my windshield, where I live in South MS it gets very very hot so I put it up everyday at work.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

If you want a small highly versatile stove that can boil water fast and and be adjusted down to do a butter sauce The MSR dragon fly is a great stove, it is a white gas stove that packs up very small. The fuel bottle can be up to a liter. The down side is you need to prime.

Reactions: ZombieCat