stone150

Rank 0

Contributor I

Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Stone
Wife wants to do more camping, hiking, and exploring, which gives me an excuse to build the truck for exploring.
We have a 2018 GMC sierra CCSB 4WD with the 6.2L engine. Right now the plans I have for it are new shocks all around. The shocks were already in the works as when we get on county roads, the stock shocks cannot effectively control the vehicle movement on larger undulating bumps. I was also going to look at upgraded skid plates as the stock ones are plastic. it appears there aren't many if any options, that said I could build some.
Since I do drive the truck some days to work and I have an extra set of OEM wheels, I was going to get a set of 33" tires, probably K02s or Ridge grapplers, just for when we go on adventures, currently my street tires are 32" 275/65R18 Michelin LTX A/T2 . I'd like to run 35s but don't want to lift the truck more than the leveling kit I have.

Since we are from Texas and most of our adventures will be in the Rockies or Sierras, we will have to drive to get there and will more than likely pulling an offroad tear drop trailer,.

Right now we are new to this, I've always wanted to do more off-roading, but the wife hasn't cared one way or another. The mods I have planned for the truck were already in the works, so want to make sure anything further is well thought out. With being new to it I don't want to be doing snorkels or anything, if we really get far into it i'll look more at older or smaller vehicle to build up.
Anything else I should be looking at for the Sierra?

IMG_6240.jpg
IMG_6206.jpg

Last edited:

Red Stick

Rank 0

Contributor I

Always good to see another GM truck here!

You mentioned upgrading your shocks, and adding a level, but didn’t mention your budget.

I’m currently on 305/65r18 (34x12) with a 2.25 spacer level. I did have to do some trimming (“NorCal” mod), but no rubing at all. I currently have about 34,000 miles on the truck , the level was out on very shortly after I bought it newand am replacing the UCA’s, with aftermarket ones, this week due to a loose ball joint. These GM trucks stamped steel UCA’s need to be replaced, to correct the ball joint angle, anytime the front of the truck is lifted.

I’ve pieced mine together being very budget conscious but in my opinion the right way to do it would be to go with a coil over kit with upper control arms. Icon looks really good, as do Bajakits and many others. The adjustable coil overs can give you 2” to 3” inches of lift I believe.

Let us know how it goes!

47E690A1-2179-4647-929E-636563FA1B6D.jpegE5908620-8418-4971-805B-AE1720649B09.jpeg
Also I’ve been really impressed with the Falken Wildpeaks I put on mine.

stone150

Rank 0

Contributor I

Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Stone
Always good to see another GM truck here!

You mentioned upgrading your shocks, and adding a level, but didn’t mention your budget.

I’m currently on 305/65r18 (34x12) with a 2.25 spacer level. I did have to do some trimming (“NorCal” mod), but no rubing at all. I currently have about 34,000 miles on the truck , the level was out on very shortly after I bought it newand am replacing the UCA’s, with aftermarket ones, this week due to a loose ball joint. These GM trucks stamped steel UCA’s need to be replaced, to correct the ball joint angle, anytime the front of the truck is lifted.

I’ve pieced mine together being very budget conscious but in my opinion the right way to do it would be to go with a coil over kit with upper control arms. Icon looks really good, as do Bajakits and many others. The adjustable coil overs can give you 2” to 3” inches of lift I believe.

Let us know how it goes!

Also I’ve been really impressed with the Falken Wildpeaks I put on mine.
Great looking truck! what width/backspacing are you running on your wheels?

Don't really have a budget in mind, more just can I justify the cost or not.

As far as tires, I'm looking at BFG KM3 in 275/70R18 which is solidly a 33, would love to go bigger, but the idea of to cut things is a little uneasy. I have pretty bad car ADD, so anything I do, I'd want to be able to un-do. Normally I'd look more at a AT tire, such as the Wildpeak or toyo, but since I have the A/T2s for daily use, I'd like something more aggressive to overcome some short comings of the truck, mainly not having true lockers. I'd also look at going wider, but I currently have AT4 wheels with the LTX A/T2 tires on it and the rub on the control arms at full lock. I added 5MM spacers and it corrected the issue.

For suspension, I'm looking the King OEM series, not that I really like the price tag, but current ride is too uncontrolled and having adjustability for different trips would be great. I'd also be adding JBA UCAs.

Trying to find a bumper or guard to mount a winch, but that is proving harder than I thought it would.

The only other thing I'm looking at is N-Fab RKR bars without the step for some type of rocker protection.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
King is going to be a great setup for you. Check out Filthy Motor sports based in CO. They will custom valve and set it up for you specifically for your application. I've emailed them a few times and have gotten great responses for my build.

One thing you'll definitely want to look at is armor underneath. Piece of mind and what they save are worth their weight in gold.

stone150

Rank 0

Contributor I

Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Stone
King is going to be a great setup for you. Check out Filthy Motor sports based in CO. They will custom valve and set it up for you specifically for your application. I've emailed them a few times and have gotten great responses for my build.

One thing you'll definitely want to look at is armor underneath. Piece of mind and what they save are worth their weight in gold.
Funny enough that is who I have been talking to also. Their YT videos are very informative. I wish they did a internal bypass for the 14-18 trucks like they did for the 19+ but oh well.
So far the only underbody protection I've found is the one from GM, I found another kit but it doesn't appear to be made any more. So I plan on getting the GM version and possibly making any additional.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Very nice build, love the suspension

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

wow they barely stick out of the truck, I might have to add spacers to mine. Just have to wait till the new wheels and tires show up

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
You don't want an internal bypass anyways.

The trucks have less shock travel than a potato. You need every inch of it to dampen thousands of pounds of force. A bypass might be handy if your shocks are very firmly tuned, but that brings other problems.

Reactions: stone150

stone150

Rank 0

Contributor I

Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Stone
With the holidays and the fact we are months away from any type of trip, I've just been researching and planning. Right here is what I have planed:

GM metal skid plates
King OEM series coilovers front and rear
JBA UCAs
Factory GMC 18" wheels powedercoated black with BFG KM3 in 275/70R18
N-Fab RKR bars or GM Rocker bars
additions to my bed rail system to mount Traction boards, gas, and other misc things.
Lomax Hard Trifold toneau cover.

if budget allows, Whipple supercharger.

I'm also looking at installing a front hitch, except I will modify it to fit behind the OEM airdam. my goal is that when where not going on a trip, I can easily return the truck to normal use.

Reactions: BCMoto

Razorrc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Everson, PA, USA
First Name
MICHAEL
Last Name
SULKOWSKI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTB684
Glad to see another new GM truck out there. I have my 17 dcsb sierra very basic built. Just a 2.5" rc level lift. I also added a ADD bumper due to bending my factory bumper. I put the GM "offroad" assist step on from a crew cab Colorado. Found them at a junk yard for $50 I had to modify the brackets to fit the truck. Also build a bed rack using Unistrut and a cargo roof top box. The factory GM "offroad" assist step are not very strong for anything other then a step. 20190906124825.JPGIMG_20190906_190923_913.jpeg

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
Ah indeed, another GM! Glad to see it. I've been very pleased with my platform, I didn't originally purchase mine with the intent of using it in this way but I've been happy with the adaptability. My only frustration at times has been lack of aftermarket parts that I want for mine but are readily available for more common platforms in the Toyota, Jeep, etc. landscape. But! In relatively stock form these trucks are really pretty capable, I only have air bags on the rear and a 2" level on the front to offset my bumper replacement weight. Will follow your build for sure!

20190711_105303.jpg