Enthusiast II

Kenmore, Washington, United States
First Name
Christina
Last Name
DeCarufel
Member #

Hey there,

New here and been poking around a bit. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for a shovel & axe rack/attachment for a 2012 Xterra Pro4X with the OE roof rack? We have a Raingler roof net now but if we do something that doesn't lock my husband is saying the shovel & axe would get stuck inside every time we're in town. This makes no sense to me, sounds like a PIA. So, lockable would seem to be a necessity.

Christina

Shane_ONeil

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Manassas, Virginia, USA
Member #

If you have no objections drilling holes into your factory rack, I suggest you get Quick-Fists.  They're roughly $20 for a pair on Amazon (here: http://www.amazon.com/Original-Quick-Fist%C2%AE-mounting-equipment/dp/B000CQPANY ).  Quick-fists come in several sizes....the biggest is holding the large end of my Hi-Lift.  The hardware is cheap (2" bolts and wing nuts are usually less than $5 for a pair).

Here they are mounted during daily driving.

And here they are holding up my shovel and axe while on trails.

Hi-Lift quick-fist mounts:

Reactions: KTM GRIZZLY

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Thank you! I was just looking at drilling into my rack to do this. Now I am for certain. Thanks...

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

17054 said:
Thank you! I was just looking at drilling into my rack to do this. Now I am for certain. Thanks…
An alternative to drilling would be to use electrical conduit hangers with Quick Fists.  I've got an ARB rr, and these were perfect for the round tubes, no drilling required.

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Every time I see quick-fist holding something deemed a projectile if an accident were to occur I cringe, but great idea on the bike cable to help secure it. Yeah they have their uses, but to hold a 40lb chuck of cast steel to the truck is in my mind insane. Could use muffler clamps to a piece of square 1 iron, with a 3/8 bolt in the tubing to accomplish the same thing and would be a ton more solid. I have my hi-lift mounted on the drivers side of the Gobi using the Gobi mount (the factory rear camera of the 2015 Xterra prevents the jack from fitting on the shrock rear bumper so until I can dough up for the camera to be removed and filled/ painted, the Gobi attachment was only $100 and will have to do) and yet people warn me that in a head on with enough momentum the risk is there to break the metal mount off and send the jack airborne. In a off road fully armored truck, if I hit someone head one with that amount of force, the last thing I'm worrying about is the jack with the Gobi mounting.

As for the ax/ shovel. I have seen D handle shovels under the X rear seat. However the spade looks like it could cut an Achilles tendon if someone were in the rear seat. The axe, no worries fitting almost any combo under the seat with no worries. I personally like a nice bow saw compared to the Axe, yet carry both (26" Husqvarna axe- gobi and 21" sven saw- under seat). Sven saws take up no room folded and will go thru wood faster than a beaver on crack. I have a shorter 16" I keep in my pack and have cut enough wood for a week to use in my Kifaru stove in an hour or two, with the outside temps being 0F or so, but I only use the stove for cooking or early morning to get ready in the tipi. Sven saws are amazing. Maybe look at this instead of a axe to save space. Now to just find a place for the shovel.... GI folding shovels are really versatile but are not for just flat out digging, but can be used, god knows Ive dug enough fighting holes in the Marines with one, to know that they will work. Just not an optimal tool. But they are compact and will easily fit the center console of a X if needed. So a 8 gallon action packer in the rear with some extra "just incase" items, like the GI folding shovel, could be a handy kit.

If you have not used a shovel yet offroad, maybe this route will get you by and give piece of mind and still be useable if needed.

Shane_ONeil

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Manassas, Virginia, USA
Member #

To caveat Casey's pointer of accidents, I've secured all mounts to the point that I can pull on them with almost all my body weight (195lbs) and the mounts do not budge. To me, the security of the mounts (and cargo) are no different than any other piece of the truck thats bolted on (fenders, headlight units, factory roof rack, etc). The likelihood of aftermarket mounted cargo becoming a projectile in an accident is just as likely as my hood flying forward in a head-on collision. Hopefully this caveat is a bit of reassurance to the good point Casey mentioned.

irisphnx

Rank IV
Founder 500

Enthusiast II

First Name
Christina
Last Name
DeCarufel
Member #

I appreciate you bringing up these safety points, not where my mind was going right off. My husband has some concerns about safety and security still. So, I think we're still looking for the right solution.

irisphnx

Rank IV
Founder 500

Enthusiast II

First Name
Christina
Last Name
DeCarufel
Member #

Everyone has different tolerance levels for safety and security. Mine is different from my husband's in many ways. Sometimes I go with his sometimes mine. On this one it has to do more with his tools so I think we'll be sticking g with something that can fit inside (a hatchet) and doing more research (shovel). I still think the quick-fists could work for the shovel, which shovel and where might be the tricky parts.