none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
So far this is the list of definite attendees that have PM'd me:
@gschlossnagle
@phlfly
@Bourbon Runner
@Scout
@JamieF
and me
GB, How does this work ? Do you have a start meeting point and an ending point ? Will you be making a big looped route ? Soumds like a nice trip your planning .
Cheers, Lanlubber

GB Fraggle

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levine
Member #

GB, How does this work ? Do you have a start meeting point and an ending point ? Will you be making a big looped route ? Soumds like a nice trip your planning .
Cheers, Lanlubber
Start point is Paw Paw WV. End point target is Flagpole Knob In GW/J NF. Shooting for about 150 mi/day. It ought to be a great time. There are several water crossings, fire towers and cool vistas!!

GB Fraggle

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levine
Member #

OK All,

We are less than a month out!! If you haven't done so already, please PM me to confirm you are coming.

As a reminder, all vehicles must have:
*4wd
*at tires
*at least one rated recovery point on the front and rear of the vehicle (a ball hitch is NOT a rated recovery point)

Each vehicle should have basic recovery gear (rated tow strap, traction boards, jack, etc.)

Logistics:

I plan to leave from the Paw Paw Tunnel parking lot at 9am Thursday morning. The parking lot is located here:

39.544632,-78.460534

There is a campground there but it is for tents only (no drive in sites). The sites are $20 per night and can be reserved here:

I plan to camp Wednesday night in Green Ridge State Forest in MD. The sites are $10 per night with a limit of 6 people. I plan to camp at site 66 here :

39.579392,-78.461469

Please PM me if you plan to join me Wednesday night to camp. If many are planning to join I will get site 65 as well.

See you on the trail!!

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

We would love to have you. PM me that you are def coming and your camping type (rtt, ground tent etc.)
Let me confirm with the other half first. We've been touring wedding venues lately and need to make sure she doesn't have that weekend booked.

Reactions: Scout

GB Fraggle

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levine
Member #

So, I am planning coms for my rig and wanted to know what folks who are planning to come use. The best option for me is to install a cb (cheaper than gmrs + license, less time than HAM). What coms do you all have?

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

So, I am planning coms for my rig and wanted to know what folks who are planning to come use. The best option for me is to install a cb (cheaper than gmrs + license, less time than HAM). What coms do you all have?
Combination of the 3 and it's going to vary by group. CB is still the general staple but ham is quickly gaining ground since the entry license can be obtained in a weekend and it's far more useful in most scenarios. GMRS is super simple for the license and only like $75 for 10 years but it's not commonly used. A few YouTube overlanding channels seem to use it or have in the past but in practice, I've never met a group that did.

IMO a handheld dual band ham and either handheld CB or on a magnetic mount will suffice in most groups if you don't want to hard-mount it.

GB Fraggle

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levine
Member #

I went with CB. I also have some FRS for line of sight if needed. So, for this trip I will be using CB as the main comm. Channel TBD.

Last edited:

foamy_squirrel

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Moy
Member #

Have any more open spots for this trip?

I'd love to join... rooftop tent setup, big dodge ram. But I run mine off the back so I don't need much room.

Ri_T_chie B

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
RICHARD
Last Name
BURKEHOLDER
Member #

hey everyone, just coming across this one and wanted to know if the maximum has been reached or would you be willing to add me in on this trip? been wanting to do this trail for some time now.

GB Fraggle

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levine
Member #

hey everyone, just coming across this one and wanted to know if the maximum has been reached or would you be willing to add me in on this trip? been wanting to do this trail for some time now.
PM me for confirmation and I will add you to the list.

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I have a cb..Still need to get the thing tuned.. Should have it ready by then.. Hopefully my antenna ground is good enough..

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I will be around 9 am at parking spot Paw Paw Tunnel . As for me its 70 miles about 1:30 min drive.
Another question about food supplies. Did you planned to stop get ice and some food?

GB Fraggle

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levine
Member #

I personally plan to bring all of my food (no refrigeration needed). I plan to stop for fuel everyday; those who need ice can resupply as well.

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

My wife is undecided if she coming along or not.. So it'll either me and 1 dog or me, her and 2 dogs..lol.. I need to know things soon..lol.

BourbonRunner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hidalgo
Member #

I'll have a CB also just ordered everything today should have it up an running this weekend!! Thanks for giving me a reason to get one hahaha.