US East Shenandoah/Allegheny Loop Trail; Aug 8-10 2019

• HTML tutorial

vdeal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

@GB Fraggle,

Where is the photo in the first post from.

For folks who want more info on this route you can check it out at Outbound Overland.

I've done much of this track and it's a great route although I believe it misses some of the best parts of the Mon NF and uses some portions that aren't all that great. Also, you will go by many excellent areas for hiking or backpacking that are better than anything you will see while driving (although you see some good stuff driving)

Schake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ellicott City, MD, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Schaffer
Member #

@GB Fraggle,

For folks who want more info on this route you can check it out at Outbound Overland.

I've done much of this track and it's a great route although I believe it misses some of the best parts of the Mon NF and uses some portions that aren't all that great. Also, you will go by many excellent areas for hiking or backpacking that are better than anything you will see while driving (although you see some good stuff driving)
Kindly post names and locations you recommend. Wife and I traveling this direction soon and enjoy hiking and great views.

GB Fraggle

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levine
Member #

@GB Fraggle,

Just a stock photo of the Shenandoah mountains I found on the web.

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

This date is has not changed, correct? Just curious if there has been any thought with it coinciding with MAOF..I did that last year and plan on it this year but this event sounds interesting also..

vdeal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kindly post names and locations you recommend. Wife and I traveling this direction soon and enjoy hiking and great views.
@Schake,

While you're driving across the top of Dolly Sods take some time to hike Dolly Sods North but be prepared for crowds if you're there on the weekend or holidays. You can also hike the lower area from the Laneville Cabin. There's plenty of hiking on Canaan Mt. if you do the Canaan Loop road portion also. At Gladwin, WV, near the Dry Fork river crossing you can catch a section of the Allegheny Trail. East of Glady, WV, you can leave the track and go to the Laurel Fork campground and hike the Laurel Fork Wilderness areas. Here is where I believe the posted route takes the lesser route. I will post what I believe to be a better route later. From Laurel Fork you can explore east towards the Sinks of Gandy and on up to the WV highpoint at Spruce Knob and hike the Seneca Creek Backcountry. When you're around the Day Run Campground work yourself over and drive the Highland Scenic Highway - beautiful views. You can also hike in the Cranberry Wilderness and Tea Creek Backcountry. That should get you started.

Reactions: Schake

vdeal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

For those who want a different route that is honestly better than the one outlined here is a alternate in the Mon NF portion.

On the route where you cut off of FS10 in the Mon NF onto FS422 towards Glady and Bemis I would go straight ahead and take a left on FS423 into the Laurel Fork Campground (nice camping there) and then onto FS40 up by the Sinks of Gandy and to the junction with CR 29/1. Catch FS1 up past Spruce Knob Lake (there's camping there also) and then FS 112 to the FS104 spur to Spruce Knob, the highest point in WV. Backtrack from there back to Spruce Knob Lake and then take FS112 south for several miles through nice woods till you come out to the paved State Rt 28. Head south here. You can stay on paved road south to Bartow, WV and then go west on Rt 92 to hook back up with your route on Cheat Mt. or if you want dirt road before Bartow make a right on FS14 at Camp Pocahontas and head up the mountain. You'll eventually intersect 250/4 which you'll make a left onto and go down to Frank, WV where you'll turn right onto Rt 92 back up to Cheat Mt.

Last edited:

GB Fraggle

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levine
Member #

This date is has not changed, correct? Just curious if there has been any thought with it coinciding with MAOF..I did that last year and plan on it this year but this event sounds interesting also..
Dates not changed. I thought about going to MAOF but decided to make my own adventure.

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

very tempting..we had hoped to get a group together to caravan to the MOAF but that hasn't materialized.. This area is about 4hrs 15 minutes south of us..

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I'm seriously considering this over the MAOF. I'll sign up for it as 85% going. I'll know better, later.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I will join you guys. I think it's great trip and with two days of camping . Great job GB. I wish had more those ones.

Reactions: Vizard

Schake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ellicott City, MD, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Schaffer
Member #

My vehicle is stock
I've only done a very small section of this loop, but from that very limited perspective, I would have concerns about a stock vehicle other than a stock 4wd vehicle.
Others, with better knowledge of this loop, will be able to offer greater insight.

GB Fraggle

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levine
Member #

My rig is a stock Titan with the Pro-4x package. I have put it through it's paces and it is pretty capable. It does have a rear locker and offroad tires. I think it depends on what "stock" vehicle you drive. A Rubicon I would say yes; a Honda CR-v...I would say nope.

Reactions: Schake