Share how it all started - Homage to the beginnings - Your story is welcome here!

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

M Rose

US Northwest Region Director
Benefactor

Pathfinder II

La Grande, Oregon, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7MFV
I started out doing this overland thing at the age of 11 or 12 solo on a bicycle. But I grew up camping and 4wheeling as part of life out here in the NW.

Reactions: IronPercheron

DMS1

Rank I

Contributor III

Gardena
I have been car camping, fishing, shooting, hiking, exploring, dirt biking and dune bugging all my life. Here is a picture of us Camping\Dirtbiking\Dune Bugging near Ensenada Mexico in the 60s. Back then we we had a Ford Station wagon and a BMW Dune Buggy. The 2nd pic is my 1982 Toyota Truck I bought new in 81 at the age of 20 and did tons of exploring in it. I daily drove that Toyota from Dec 28 1981 to Dec 31st 1999 when the transmission let go on the way to work. I also used the canvas Coleman pop tent seen in both pictures until it was about 30 years old and the fabric started falling apart. I replaced the 82 with an 85 4Runner I purchased in 2000 and sold it in July 2020 and have a 99 4runner I purchased in 2007 which is my current overlanding vehicle.

img061.jpg

scan053.jpg

Me driving the Dune Buggy for the 1st time at Gorman - Now known as Hungry Valley - the rule was, as soon as your feet could safely touch the pedals, you got to drive the dunebuggy. Picture taken in early 70s
img214.jpg

DaleRF

Rank VI

Pioneer I

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7JDA
I have been car camping, fishing, shooting, hiking, exploring, dirt biking and dune bugging all my life. Here is a picture of us Camping\Dirtbiking\Dune Bugging near Ensenada Mexico in the 60s. Back then we we had a Ford Station wagon and a BMW Dune Buggy. The 2nd pic is my 1982 Toyota Truck I bought new in 81 at the age of 20 and did tons of exploring in it. I daily drove that Toyota from Dec 28 1981 to Dec 31st 1999 when the transmission let go on the way to work. I also used the canvas Coleman pop tent seen in both pictures until it was about 30 years old and the fabric started falling apart. I replaced the 82 with an 85 4Runner I purchased in 2000 and sold it in July 2020 and have a 99 4runner I purchased in 2007 which is my current overlanding vehicle.

View attachment 189061

View attachment 189062

Me driving the Dune Buggy for the 1st time at Gorman - Now known as Hungry Valley - the rule was, as soon as your feet could safely touch the pedals, you got to drive the dunebuggy. Picture taken in early 70s
View attachment 189063
Nice!

Reactions: DMS1

old_man

Rank V
Supporter

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham Callsign
WØNUT
My first overland experience was the summer of 1952, 69 years ago. I was 6 weeks old and my parents struck out from Texas in a Woody wagon and went all the way through Colorado and up to the Tetons and Yellowstone. I have a pix somewhere of me on that trip. I guess it has always been in my blood.

DaleRF

Rank VI

Pioneer I

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7JDA
My first overland experience was the summer of 1952, 69 years ago. I was 6 weeks old and my parents struck out from Texas in a Woody wagon and went all the way through Colorado and up to the Tetons and Yellowstone. I have a pix somewhere of me on that trip. I guess it has always been in my blood.
Yep!

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Supporter +

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Some serious history in here!!

I really like that, and I am favoring the older things. I have a 2016 4runner that my wife drives, I just love my old Bronco, Canvas tent, Cast Iron, and my lanterns. I built a rocket stove in a 30mm ammo can and I use all wood to heat, and light my area (aside from lanterns). The only fuel burned, and the only advanced tech, is the cell phone in my pocket and the EFI under the hood of the bronco (factory...)

Maybe I am weird but I tried the "new" stuff and decided it wasn't for me. Sold the RTT after only a few uses, now the 4runner is a grocery getter with a refrigerator and a winch. (it really is a fantastic car, and an unparalleled family vehicle. I go to work with confidence my wife will make it to her destination, safely, regardless of her obstacles.