Share how it all started - Homage to the beginnings - Your story is welcome here!

• HTML tutorial

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Share that story, let it rip! Consider this a virtual campfire!

I am paying homage to a gas drinking machine. His name was Uncle Ruckus.

When I ran across Overland Bound. I didn't even know what overland was, but i knew that i liked everything they did, and had been doing it a long time!!!

So here is where it all started. A bronco, a ruck sack, a cooler, and some basic kit. "Just get out there"... remember that?! LOL Think i had $2, 000.00 in the whole gitup.

I had been a wheeler, and a camper a long time. So really, you could say it all came together with OB and this old truck.

I do miss the spontaneity of topless truck adventures... made for a cool experience... or a wet one now and then. lol.

FB_IMG_1448256423745.jpg
Ruckus 7.jpg20151024_112047-1.jpg

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i hadn't been camping or hiking in 30 yrs. met my wife 2 yrs ago and while we were dating, we drove to phoenix to help her daughter move. its a 24 hr trip, so around 2am we were in NM and i decided to pull over at a rest area and get a quick nap. we both laid down in the back of my tundra on a moving blanket and was staring up at the beautiful night sky. pretty cool moment. after we helped her daughter move, we decided instead of heading back home, to head up to colorado and camp. we stopped in flagstaff and bought a tent, sleeping bags, cooler, etc and did a camp trip on the fly. it was pretty awesome. a few months later we bought an offroad camper that was in ohio. we went to get it and decided to hit gatlinberg. we ended up getting married in one of the little chapels and honeymooned in our new camper with no gear. we joined on here and have been taking a LOT of trips since we are both retired. traveling and boondocking is now our steady thing and has become very addictive for us

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Who doesn't like a vintage LR|?
It's taken years, as well as a ton of blood, sweat and tears to get it to the point you see in the pic. Right now Grover's going through his sea trials and final mechanical fitting out. The plan is to kit it out in vintage camping/overlanding gear; I'm not a big believer in all the modern gadgets. Precious few modern gadgets will be added. The plan is to eventually attend the Utah Relic Run, or start something similar here.

Following pic is one of the inspirations, circa 1955, taken during the 'Oxford and Cambridge Far Eastern Expedition'. Note the absence of such things as on-board fridge, GPS and all the other modern conveniences people think they need!! I know the gent in the redish coveralls.

20200416_094958.jpg

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

i hadn't been camping or hiking in 30 yrs. met my wife 2 yrs ago and while we were dating, we drove to phoenix to help her daughter move. its a 24 hr trip, so around 2am we were in NM and i decided to pull over at a rest area and get a quick nap. we both laid down in the back of my tundra on a moving blanket and was staring up at the beautiful night sky. pretty cool moment. after we helped her daughter move, we decided instead of heading back home, to head up to colorado and camp. we stopped in flagstaff and bought a tent, sleeping bags, cooler, etc and did a camp trip on the fly. it was pretty awesome. a few months later we bought an offroad camper that was in ohio. we went to get it and decided to hit gatlinberg. we ended up getting married in one of the little chapels and honeymooned in our new camper with no gear. we joined on here and have been taking a LOT of trips since we are both retired. traveling and boondocking is now our steady thing and has become very addictive for us

THAT is a cool story!!!

Reactions: grubworm

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

It's taken years, as well as a ton of blood, sweat and tears to get it to the point you see in the pic. Right now Grover's going through his sea trials and final mechanical fitting out. The plan is to kit it out in vintage camping/overlanding gear; I'm not a big believer in all the modern gadgets. Precious few modern gadgets will be added. The plan is to eventually attend the Utah Relic Run, or start something similar here.

Following pic is one of the inspirations, circa 1955, taken during the 'Oxford and Cambridge Far Eastern Expedition'. Note the absence of such things as on-board fridge, GPS and all the other modern conveniences people think they need!! I know the gent in the redish coveralls.

View attachment 149638

I am doing this with a 1991 bronco. I still use oil lanterns, and my camp is primitive.... think bushcraft ... but in 4wheel drive lol

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Mine started as a kid in Europe, car-camping with my family in a Chevy station wagon with wood-grain sides, a two-room canvas tent strapped to the top, and kitchen gear and clothes in the back. We went all over Europe camping, from the banks of the Seine right in Paris to babbling brooks in Belgium to deep dark forests in Germany to shore sites in Holland and more.

All my fondest early memories have to do with long adventures and camping trips in the car, experiencing the people, culture, history and art of everywhere we went.

I remember looking out the side window as the world went by, imagining that it was all a long-playing record with us at the edge, and that all the scenery changed by the time we got back around.

To see new things, new places, and different types of flora and fauna every day definitely set me on a path I was to take the rest of my life.

If I'm not out here moving and experiencing new places and driving roads I've never been on before, I feel stuck.

padre180100-1075panocrop-1000.jpg

Stay safe, stay clean, stay healthy!

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I don't remember not camping, back backing, overlanding. My grandfather was doing it in the 30's. He had a drawer pullout in the station wagon when I was 11 years old. (60's). When I got my driver license It was on. Lots of weekend trips and dirt roads.

In 1974 a buddy and I drove to Santa Rosalia ,Baja over Easter break. We had a care package for a family there. Surfed and partied like a couple 17 year old nerdowells. The highway had just been finished and it was pretty wild. The only road that was paved was the highway. Most of my 20's were spent rock climbing and camping at the crags, I picked up my first truck then, 2WD and drove it hard. I have always had a truck as part of the arsenal 4WD drive when I could afford it. Little and full sized truck fitted out for what I was doing at the time.

Now I have a 3/4 ton driveway queen that is rigged for my passions. I am playing with the idea to do the southern half of the Pan American. If I doI will add a pop top, it would be a 5 or 6 year trip and a pop top would be more comfortable.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

I don't remember not camping, back backing, overlanding. My grandfather was doing it in the 30's. He had a drawer pullout in the station wagon when I was 11 years old. (60's). When I got my driver license It was on. Lots of weekend trips and dirt roads.

In 1974 a buddy and I drove to Santa Rosalia ,Baja over Easter break. We had a care package for a family there. Surfed and partied like a couple 17 year old nerdowells. The highway had just been finished and it was pretty wild. The only road that was paved was the highway. Most of my 20's were spent rock climbing and camping at the crags, I picked up my first truck then, 2WD and drove it hard. I have always had a truck as part of the arsenal 4WD drive when I could afford it. Little and full sized truck fitted out for what I was doing at the time.

Now I have a 3/4 ton driveway queen that is rigged for my passions. I am playing with the idea to do the southern half of the Pan American. If I doI will add a pop top, it would be a 5 or 6 year trip and a pop top would be more comfortable.
My family use to do all of this as well - camping, backpacking, overlanding, scouts, and so on. When my dad started his business it all started to slowly fall to the wayside. By the time I was in 8th grade it had completely stopped for the most part. Once my father sold his business, and my brother and I were adults, they started back up and bought an RV.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Been family camping as long as I can remember. It really started for me about 50 years ago, when I was about 7. Camping down by the creek on the back of our farm with my best friend or up on the hill at an old abandoned saw mill sight behind his farm.
Daisy BB guns, Old Timer pocket knife from my Grandpa, chrome metal flashlight, Coast to Coast sleeping bags, old Army shelter halves and canteens that our dads had from their service, matches and bologna sandwiches. We thought we were pretty tough sleeping out in the dark by ourselves. Started taking my son's camping when they were young and we continue to go when time allows now that they are grown. I still hunt, fish and camp with the same two friends that I have had since 3rd grade, we just think we need more stuff now to do the same things that we have done all these years. LOL

bumbleruck

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Denver, CO
First Name
David
Last Name
M
Grew up roadtripping with the parents every chance we got, not always long ones but even weekend trips are worth it to show the kids how interesting the world can be. Lots of camping trips, starting with tents but eventually a pop-up trailer that served us well for years all over Washington state. Was involved in Scouts before getting burned out by the same old weekend trip month after month, quit at 16 and disappointed the pops quite a bit. Still liked hiking, but it kind of took a backseat until after college when I couldn't get home to the PNW fast enough after being stuck in downtown Philly for 4 years without a vehicle. Dove headfirst into mountaineering, backpacking, hiking, everything I could to get outside. Made the pops happy again, haha! Now I'm a few years past that and have realized there's a balance to be struck between luxury and utility, and am enjoying kitting out my first truck with what I think I need and a little dash of what I want.

Love the old broncos, most beautiful vehicles I've seen. Someday I'll get my hands on one!

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Been family camping as long as I can remember. It really started for me about 50 years ago, when I was about 7. Camping down by the creek on the back of our farm with my best friend or up on the hill at an old abandoned saw mill sight behind his farm.
Daisy BB guns, Old Timer pocket knife from my Grandpa, chrome metal flashlight, Coast to Coast sleeping bags, old Army shelter halves and canteens that our dads had from their service, matches and bologna sandwiches. We thought we were pretty tough sleeping out in the dark by ourselves. Started taking my son's camping when they were young and we continue to go when time allows now that they are grown. I still hunt, fish and camp with the same two friends that I have had since 3rd grade, we just think we need more stuff now to do the same things that we have done all these years. LOL

You are speaking of my childhood too, and I am only 31. I am blessed i suppose.

That simple bronco with just a few things in it made for the greatest adventures a man can ask for. Simple, and exhilarating.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Grew up roadtripping with the parents every chance we got, not always long ones but even weekend trips are worth it to show the kids how interesting the world can be. Lots of camping trips, starting with tents but eventually a pop-up trailer that served us well for years all over Washington state. Was involved in Scouts before getting burned out by the same old weekend trip month after month, quit at 16 and disappointed the pops quite a bit. Still liked hiking, but it kind of took a backseat until after college when I couldn't get home to the PNW fast enough after being stuck in downtown Philly for 4 years without a vehicle. Dove headfirst into mountaineering, backpacking, hiking, everything I could to get outside. Made the pops happy again, haha! Now I'm a few years past that and have realized there's a balance to be struck between luxury and utility, and am enjoying kitting out my first truck with what I think I need and a little dash of what I want.

Love the old broncos, most beautiful vehicles I've seen. Someday I'll get my hands on one!

I have been searching for a way to the PNW since 2016. Maybe one day.

I have family, and friends in Blaine. I go see them every year i can.

As for bronco's. I love them. Perfect vehicle.

Roomy Cabin
V8 power
TTB IFS so you can go fast on the sand but the rocks aren't a death sentence lol
good tow capacity
pop top

Man you cant go wrong with a FSB, K5, or RamCharger.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Three stories about three seasons.

I was 24 and decided to snowshoe and snowcave after getting off work at 11:00pm from the ER I worked in. Loaded up my 1965 VW Bug and headed to Snoqualmie Pass in Wa. Got out, backpack with shovel, poles, gear and made it about 100 yards before falling into a hole adjacent to a tree completely covered by snow. I was bout 5' in. Took me about 3 hours of digging to get out. Didn't tell anyone I was out there. Didn't have a plan, just a want. Big mistake turned out fine. Only slightly embarrased.

I was in my early 30's and owned 4 motorcycles, no car or truck while living in Seattle. My own self experiment in reliability and weather reading. My buddy and I took 3 weeks ( my 1970 CB750 and his 1974 AMC era 883 HD) and road all the way straight through to Cabo while boondocking along the route, found a hotel, got some rest for a few days and many cocktails. Then headed home and camped along the way for a day at a time except at Guerro Negro on the NE side of Sierra Vizcaino NP. We camped out on the beach with no one around. Fishermen stopped by with daily fresh shellfish and beer. It was like heaven! We were beat and stopepd at his parents pale in San Diego. We traveled too long and decided to ship the bikes home and flew back to Seattle.

Last one I dont have yet. My rig is nearly complete. Its a matter of when we go to Alaska and with what trailer.

bumbleruck

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Denver, CO
First Name
David
Last Name
M
I have been searching for a way to the PNW since 2016. Maybe one day.

I have family, and friends in Blaine. I go see them every year i can.

As for bronco's. I love them. Perfect vehicle.

Roomy Cabin
V8 power
TTB IFS so you can go fast on the sand but the rocks aren't a death sentence lol
good tow capacity
pop top

Man you cant go wrong with a FSB, K5, or RamCharger.
I'm "unfortunately" in Colorado now where I have plenty to do and enjoy, but I have to admit I'm still trying to find my way back. Maybe after my current contract is up.

And too true, there's just something great about that body style.

Reactions: IronPercheron

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Three stories about three seasons.

I was 24 and decided to snowshoe and snowcave after getting off work at 11:00pm from the ER I worked in. Loaded up my 1965 VW Bug and headed to Snoqualmie Pass in Wa. Got out, backpack with shovel, poles, gear and made it about 100 yards before falling into a hole adjacent to a tree completely covered by snow. I was bout 5' in. Took me about 3 hours of digging to get out. Didn't tell anyone I was out there. Didn't have a plan, just a want. Big mistake turned out fine. Only slightly embarrased.

I was in my early 30's and owned 4 motorcycles, no car or truck while living in Seattle. My own self experiment in reliability and weather reading. My buddy and I took 3 weeks ( my 1970 CB750 and his 1974 AMC era 883 HD) and road all the way straight through to Cabo while boondocking along the route, found a hotel, got some rest for a few days and many cocktails. Then headed home and camped along the way for a day at a time except at Guerro Negro on the NE side of Sierra Vizcaino NP. We camped out on the beach with no one around. Fishermen stopped by with daily fresh shellfish and beer. It was like heaven! We were beat and stopepd at his parents pale in San Diego. We traveled too long and decided to ship the bikes home and flew back to Seattle.

Last one I dont have yet. My rig is nearly complete. Its a matter of when we go to Alaska and with what trailer.
Hell of a ride!! Awesome story!

Reactions: USStrongman