Share how it all started - Homage to the beginnings - Your story is welcome here!

• HTML tutorial

WoodcockFamilyOverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Shropshire, UK
First Name
Daryll
Last Name
Woodcock
Member #

For us we caught the Overlanding Bug quite recently in 2016, We had just begun our dream posting abroad to Canada for 2 years and we made the most of it!

In 2016 we set off on our epic trip from Alberta down into Montana and headed across to Seattle and then from there we just followed the Coast all the way down to San Diego even popping over to Tijuana, then heading back through Vegas, Salt Lake, Yellow Stone and back home to Alberta.

An epic road trip full of memories. I have tons of Photo's and video that I still have not gone through and sorted out.

Highlights for me was seeing the Redwoods for the first time. WOW. and camping out and seeing the Milky way so clear!

Funny part of the Story we broke down in the F150 in Santa Cruz and ended up losing the truck due to cost of repairs... I believe it's still in California! We didn't let that ruin our adventure and we ended up continuing the road trip in a rental car.

We went back the year after and did most of the route again! This time the Chevy Survived!

Attachments

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

For us we caught the Overlanding Bug quite recently in 2016, We had just begun our dream posting abroad to Canada for 2 years and we made the most of it!

In 2016 we set off on our epic trip from Alberta down into Montana and headed across to Seattle and then from there we just followed the Coast all the way down to San Diego even popping over to Tijuana, then heading back through Vegas, Salt Lake, Yellow Stone and back home to Alberta.

An epic road trip full of memories. I have tons of Photo's and video that I still have not gone through and sorted out.

Highlights for me was seeing the Redwoods for the first time. WOW. and camping out and seeing the Milky way so clear!

Funny part of the Story we broke down in the F150 in Santa Cruz and ended up losing the truck due to cost of repairs... I believe it's still in California! We didn't let that ruin our adventure and we ended up continuing the road trip in a rental car.

We went back the year after and did most of the route again! This time the Chevy Survived!
That is one heck of a trip!!!

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I have enjoyed reading so many cool stories of how you guys got started and some really cool family adventures and the father son hunting trips. I wish I could have done those things with my dad or my sons...

OK the following is my humble beginnings in camping and overlanding..

I loved watching Danial Boone and Davey Crockett as a kid I was 9 when I read the book "My Side of the Mountain" It was one of the few books I picked up and read nonstop to the end. I just wanted to live that life... So at 9 years old I started camping with friends at their house and them at mine... OK we really were a 1/2 mile out in the wilderness of South Florida on our own and our parents didn't know... We started on the ground then tents and later this led to building an elaborate tree house to camp in. We had one platform in a big oak tree that could sleep 5 or 6 kids with zip lines in case we wanted to leave in a hurry... It was inspired by the movie "Swiss Family Robinson" but not as fancy.. lol

By 14 most of us had dirt bikes so our weekend trips started getting farther and farther away from home. Gear was strapped to motorcycles and we had back packs too. I had a jungle hammock with a cover and mosquito netting it was good for keeping some of the bugs and water off and the best part was I never woke up in a mud puddle like several of my friends did. (It rains a lot in Florida) We would often hunt game and go fishing and tried to survive off the land. To be fair if you starve in the wilderness in So Flo you really can't be looking to hard. I learned what plants were edible and what to stay away from. We were all scouts so we had fun trying to build snares and other things to catch food. None of our parents ever went camping with us. If something had come up and they needed to find us they had no clue where we were... It was uncanny how most of us could hear my dad holler my name from what seemed like miles away.. (He was a rough and gruff football coach and principle) Yea nobody messed with big Chuck...

After high school in the 70's I did some camping courtesy of US Army in Germany then later with Uncle Sam's Miss guided Children (USMC) mostly in swamps or jungles. I actually did enjoy those times too... Some of our long range sleeping was actually underground sleeping in the day coming out at night after a few days our night vision was amazing..

My next bit of camping was done at Road Race tracks around the country in the 90's because racing was rather expensive and camping was a lot cheaper than hotels... With the money saved I could actually buy a new set of race tires for Daytona .. Our first year racing cost around $50,000 but, we did win $42,000 that year... None the less it was fun times.. This lasted 7 years and I finished this chapter in my life when I was 40.

In 2000 a motorcycle company brought me to California. When I wasn't working I was out rock climbing, back packing and mountain climbing. From 43 to 50 some years old I did a lot of camping in Joshua Tree, Yosemite, Alabama Hills and any where else we could find a wall of rock or something to climb. By 2008 to 2009 I spent at least 65 days a year camping in a tent or my Ford Explolder that was built into what I would later learn was an overlander. It had a platform with sleeping pad in the back with food, camping gear and of course a lot of rock climbing gear under the platform to support my habit of climbing an average of 3 days a week. It was a very cramped 2 door with 2 wheel drive.

In Nov. 2009 I ran into my old girlfriend and for Thanksgiving I did my last 3 day trip with some friends as a single man canoeing and camping on the Colorado River then a few weeks later in Dec. 2009 I got married... lol Not many climbing trips after that... lol Hey, I actually had more fun hanging out with my lame wife. (Well, she became lame because she took a bad fall while on a rock climbing trip with me four years earlier. Her calcaneus sort of exploded on impact when she fell into a 16 foot deep slot between rocks it also broke her thumb. But I must say she is a bad ass she never once cried during the 2 hour rescue getting her out and to the hospital or the next 4 hours waiting at the hospital...) OK back to the story...

By Jan.1st 2010 I was back in Florida (my wife stayed in So Cal) Yes we had been married a week... My mother was terminally ill and I had always promised she would not go to a retirement home and I would take care of her. So I took a year off from working and took her to see friends and relatives for the last time. We took a three week trip form Florida to Ohio and back visiting people. Later that year we flew out to Oregon to see my grand daughter her great grand daughter. Then 8 months later she had a stroke and was gone a couple weeks later. So I was back in Socal with my wife by Christmas 2010...

Mostly a lot of work and not too much camping... Til 2016 when I moved to Reno and started camping a little with my trusty Exploder again (Yes my wife was still in Socal) in 2018 after my wife came to live in Sparks with me I decided it was time to replace the Ford I had since 2004... I picked up a 2011 Tahoe 4x4 and we started camping a little then I got real crazy 4 inch lift, wheels, bigger tires, steel bumpers front and rear, a winch and 4.10 gears. Building my rig has become my hobby and filled my desire to design things. (I have worked in the Design/Engineering and fabrication field throughout my life) it is still a work in progress... OK I admit it is a little bit of and addiction... But I can stop any time..

I joined Overland bound of Reno last year they have been great!!! I love these people they are certainly great folks to do trips with and learn things from. This club has done workshops teaching things like recovery, navigational classes vehicle preparations, suggested packing lists for trips, first aid and even a trail repair stitching a tire with a gash in it.

My work has given us the opportunity to visit Utah for a few months last year we were just 80 miles from Moab and a 110 from Colorado so I did a lot of overland weekend travel there. After a few weeks back in Nevada I was sent to Arizona in time to go see overland Expo, I loved the timing of that... We lived there a couple months then back home to Nevada...

Now we are getting ready to move permanently in a few weeks to Arizona for our next chapter in our life and we look forward to new adventures down there.. And meeting some new overland bound members.

Ok. So that is my long winded story...

Lou Skannon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Skannon
1983.JPG

The Summer of 1983 is when it started for me. I took the whole Summer off and spent it in the South of France with my VW Combi. Mostly on the beach near St. Tropez and in the mountains close to the Gorge du Verdon. I finished up picking grapes at a vineyard near Vidauban which gave me enough money to get back to England and resume work as a truck driver. Thanks to Facebook, I am still in contact with friends I made that summer.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

View attachment 150533

The Summer of 1983 is when it started for me. I took the whole Summer off and spent it in the South of France with my VW Combi. Mostly on the beach near St. Tropez and in the mountains close to the Gorge du Verdon. I finished up picking grapes at a vineyard near Vidauban which gave me enough money to get back to England and resume work as a truck driver. Thanks to Facebook, I am still in contact with friends I made that summer.

WOW!!!

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

My buddy in college was super into backpacking and invited my now wife and I on a trip to the local national forest. After that, we were pretty hooked on camping in general and got a bunch of the superlight camping gear. Probably did that for about 3 years or so, then I started getting into kayaking more. Got myself a nice used 15' kayak for expedition trips and just threw all of my superlight gear in the rear hatch. Now that was fun times!

But then I bought a Mustang. You know how hard it is to load a kayak on the roof of a brand new sports car? Super easy, but man does it hurt to do it. Long story short, 500HP was a little much for me on the way home one day and that car went bye-bye.

Decided to get something with 4wd so that I could get back into the outdoors life, and that's when I came across my Grand Cherokee. Looking back, I sort of wish I had gotten a Tacoma or a 4Runner instead, but hindsight and all that

Reactions: IronPercheron

SayNoToDisco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Walla Walla, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Gant
Member #

Similar to a lot of you guys and gals, I grew up camping, big hikes, getting lost in the woods. All that good stuff, but kind of got sucked into the overlanding piece when my buddy Eric invited me on a trip through some national parks after relocating to SoCal. We both had 4x4s and I'll never forget after getting into King's Canyon when he called from his car and said "we would be making a left here" and it was just into a dirt trail. Explored for a week driving around on unpaved roads and it changed the way about how to use my Jeep. Combined everything I love into one thing and the exploration has continued ever since! Epic trip.

IMG_2269.JPG
IMG_2204.JPG
IMG_20150719_095742736.jpg

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Similar to a lot of you guys and gals, I grew up camping, big hikes, getting lost in the woods. All that good stuff, but kind of got sucked into the overlanding piece when my buddy Eric invited me on a trip through some national parks after relocating to SoCal. We both had 4x4s and I'll never forget after getting into King's Canyon when he called from his car and said "we would be making a left here" and it was just into a dirt trail. Explored for a week driving around on unpaved roads and it changed the way about how to use my Jeep. Combined everything I love into one thing and the exploration has continued ever since! Epic trip.

View attachment 150749
View attachment 150750
View attachment 150751

That is awesome!

Fishiam

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sardena
Member #

View attachment 150749
View attachment 150750
View attachment 150751

That is awesome!
Liked "we would be making a left here"! This post made me smile.

bumbleruck

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Denver, CO
First Name
David
Last Name
M

View attachment 150749
View attachment 150750
View attachment 150751
I camped between Sequoia and King's Canyon with my girlfriend for a weekend, did a day in both. I remember driving the canyon to the point where the paved road stopped and wishing we had time to explore further. I can't wait to revisit with more time and my truck after seeing your pics!

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
It's taken years, as well as a ton of blood, sweat and tears to get it to the point you see in the pic. Right now Grover's going through his sea trials and final mechanical fitting out. The plan is to kit it out in vintage camping/overlanding gear; I'm not a big believer in all the modern gadgets. Precious few modern gadgets will be added. The plan is to eventually attend the Utah Relic Run, or start something similar here.

Following pic is one of the inspirations, circa 1955, taken during the 'Oxford and Cambridge Far Eastern Expedition'. Note the absence of such things as on-board fridge, GPS and all the other modern conveniences people think they need!! I know the gent in the redish coveralls.

View attachment 149638
Totally Awesome!

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

How'd it all start ?

It started like a disease, an infection that just spreads attacking common sense and good judgement while sucking the life out of your bank account.

EDIT

Seriously it started as a truck driver. I loved the independence, freedom to drive all day and stop anywhere to sleep in the sleeper. A small cooler for some food. Finding fabulous little grocery stores and restaurants. That was where I learned to hate hotels, setting up campsites, packing and finding gear. As a professional driver on the road for 5 or 6 days straight you packed only what you needed and since you got paid per load, you learned to schedule your days around deliveries and reloads.

I still have that disease, finding routes, destinations, cool spots to eat, camp, sleep. and although I never realized it while trucking, meeting people is one of the most enjoyable parts of travelling.

Last edited:

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Started back in the 1970's, exploring and overlanding with my Father. Checking out old mines and Ghost Towns of Arizona. Throw together a Lean-to, drop a sleeping bag under it...very minimalist! But some very lasting memories for sure. Now I carry on that tradition with my wife. Continuing the exploration in Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, & Wyoming. Good Times!

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Started back in the 1970's, exploring and overlanding with my Father. Checking out old mines and Ghost Towns of Arizona. Throw together a Lean-to, drop a sleeping bag under it...very minimalist! But some very lasting memories for sure. Now I carry on that tradition with my wife. Continuing the exploration in Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, & Wyoming. Good Times!
Sub surface exploration is definitely on the to do list.

Reactions: DaleRF

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Is that Devils Tower in your pic??? I was there last year, what a cool area of the US! Loved that diner at the end of the road on the way out!

zcostilla

Rank III

Traveler III

Fountain Inn, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Zac
Last Name
Costilla
Member #

Service Branch
USAF ‘93-‘13
Served in the AF, including 3 years in an Air Contro, Squadron (lots of field exercises and 2-3 day convoys in 5-tons and HMMWVs). Also was stationed in SD and AK, so lots of off-roading in friends vehicles. Bought an old 1997 4Runner off my son this year, and just getting into this in my own rig, but lots of experience driving to the middle of nowhere for camping, hunting, fishing.

Cabin Fever

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

We had been camping as a family from my earliest memories. Grade school was spent camping out in the woods next to our home with friends all summer long. HS graduation happened and the next day I took off with my (still) best friend. We left for a month in his "63 chevy pick up with a topper. This was "82. We hit Yellowstone and Glacier and up into Canada. Traveling free until we began to run low on money. Later, the family moved to AZ. I would spend summers off from college there. I learned about FS roads and would spend my free time exploring in my 2wd F150. Sleeping under the topper on a platform with a mattress. Spent 16 years as a Pro Rodeo cowboy, so many more miles and nights sleeping in a truck seeing the country. At some point I moved on to using cargo vans set up for van life way before it was a hashtag. I discovered mountain biking around 2000, so it was hop in the van with my wife and travel, camp, hike and to ride new trails every chance we could. Moab, Crested Butte, Sedona, Tahoe, anywhere we could read about and go. Last few years have been looking to travel further off the road and a "16 Rubicon and Hiker off road trailer. Now I guess I'm an "overlander" (disclamer: No rotopax, angry beaver shovel, or active instagram. So im not a real overlander) . But have been to the expo in NC and AZ. My friends always joke that my life goal is to live in a van down by the river. It is true.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Checkin on my old content and read through all of these over again!!!
Great thread that I am not ashamed to revive hahah

Last edited: