Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nunya, USA
First Name
Wally
Last Name
Kunz
Hello OB forum. I need input on NV/AZ overlanding suggestions during OE West timeframe (May 17-19). I just bought tix for me and two east coast friends flying in for the show. FWIW one of the guys has attended two prior OEW shows with me, the other is a first timer. All three of us are experienced campers/overlanders, having most recently done a Baja tour together (June '22). I have a well equipped '17 F350 with a Habitat, fully self contained. It's capable on "moderate" trails. I don't pretend it's a rock crawler ;p To optimize travel and time spent camping my friends will fly into the same airport, probably Vegas or Phoenix. I'll drive to them from San Diego and we'll camp a few days either before or after the show.

My question ... if we want to camp "locally" (<6 hrs. from Flagstaff) what fun spots should we consider? Again, we'll be coming from either Phoenix or Vegas. I'm willing to move around a little over those 3-4 days.

Don't ding me for the pic. That's my son and I in Death Valley during his Spring Break. The mining camp we visited had unexpectedly tight parking and we were forced to use a nearby cement pad. I didn't bitch.

TIA for your suggestions!

Wally

IMG_1644.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: freak4life

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello OB forum. I need input on NV/AZ overlanding suggestions during OE West timeframe (May 17-19). I just bought tix for me and two east coast friends flying in for the show. FWIW one of the guys has attended two prior OEW shows with me, the other is a first timer. All three of us are experienced campers/overlanders, having most recently done a Baja tour together (June '22). I have a well equipped '17 F350 with a Habitat, fully self contained. It's capable on "moderate" trails. I don't pretend it's a rock crawler ;p To optimize travel and time spent camping my friends will fly into the same airport, probably Vegas or Phoenix. I'll drive to them from San Diego and we'll camp a few days either before or after the show.

My question ... if we want to camp "locally" (<6 hrs. from Flagstaff) what fun spots should we consider? Again, we'll be coming from either Phoenix or Vegas. I'm willing to move around a little over those 3-4 days.

Don't ding me for the pic. That's my son and I in Death Valley during his Spring Break. The mining camp we visited had unexpectedly tight parking and we were forced to use a nearby cement pad. I didn't bitch.

TIA for your suggestions!

Wally

View attachment 270186
Hello Wally, I lived in Az for years, one place you would enjoy some trails is Sedona. One of the most beautiful spots in Az. Use trailsoffroad.com for suggestions of specific trails. For camping at least either before or after, if the North rim (Grand Canyon) is open you will not have a prettier place. Here is a link: Kaibab National Forest - Timp & North Timp Viewpoints
If you have time go up to Page and be sure to visit the Horseshoe bend and the Antelope slot canyons on the Navajo res. They are awesome. DM if you want more ideas. Rich

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
From Phoenix you have some great locations on the rim heading up to Flagstaff, there are several spots on the OB1 map.
As for Las Vegas you might think about the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

69machguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nunya, USA
First Name
Wally
Last Name
Kunz
From Phoenix you have some great locations on the rim heading up to Flagstaff, there are several spots on the OB1 map.
Thank you Kent! We did a few sections of GCNP North Rim in '21, was incredible. I'll check out the OB1 map for the stuff you mentioned on the way to Flagstaff from Phoenix. Is there anything in particular that strikes you as must see on that route? That would be new terrain for me.

Redruby

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Arizona
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Blau
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO7SHR
Hi Wally a great place to go outside of Phx would the Back Road to Crown King, camp over night then back way into Prescott, then up to Jerome ,Sedona , and into the expo by way of 89a

69machguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nunya, USA
First Name
Wally
Last Name
Kunz
Hi Wally a great place to go outside of Phx would the Back Road to Crown King, camp over night then back way into Prescott, then up to Jerome ,Sedona , and into the expo by way of 89a
Thx for that suggestion. I recently saw that route on a YouTube clip. I have a few options, good to know.