Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

You'll definitely find a ton of threads on this subject, and I would bet that every single one of them has an overwhelming amount of positive responses for the Tembo Tusk Skottle! I personally have one as well, and absolutely love cooking on it. It's a large cooking area, and gives you the ability to cook multiple things at the same time utilizing different areas of the cooking surface.

I don't think I've ever seen a negative review of the skottle.

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
I cant justify the price of a skottle. My kitchen setup is fine. Use that extra money and bring some filet mignon.
Agreed. I have lurked on their website and read most threads when they are offered for group buys, etc. I have tough time justifying the high-pricetag as well. Of course, I have never cooked on one and maybe I'd be more willing if I knew first-hand. I have found cheap knock-offs, but wonder if those would be a waste of money.

Reactions: Jeepin It Simple

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Just because they cook food nicely does not constitute the high asking price for them. I can not see paying over $100 for one, myself. A fancy skillet with 3 legs and a propane bottle holder, I wonder if Amazon has one for less?

Trent Munson

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ada County, Idaho, United States
First Name
Trent
Last Name
Munson
Member #

Just because they cook food nicely does not constitute the high asking price for them. I can not see paying over $100 for one, myself. A fancy skillet with 3 legs and a propane bottle holder, I wonder if Amazon has one for less?
Are Tembo Tusck Scottles worth the price? North of $350 dollars seems like a lot for a glorified griddle.
I couldn't justify the price either. I found a Discada/ Cowboy wok on an online ag supply site. And I already had a camp chief 2 burner, so I didnt need another burner. The 22'' disk cost roughly $55.

There are YouTube videos on how to make one for less than $100.

Attachments

TheOneRob

Rank 0

Contributor I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Farallo
I couldn't justify the price either. I found a Discada/ Cowboy wok on an online ag supply site. And I already had a camp chief 2 burner, so I didnt need another burner. The 22'' disk cost roughly $55.

There are YouTube videos on how to make one for less than $100.
That looks slick, I think thats the way I'll go. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: Trent Munson

dawson06

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

SoCal
First Name
James
Last Name
Dawson
Member #

Making my own now. Brand new disc at a farm supply store $33, single burner propane camp stove $18 at Walmart, brand new horseshoes for handles $5 a pair. A little welding, some imagination= your own disc.
What are you thinking for legs? One of the things I don’t like (besides the price) is that the legs don’t break down for storage.

Cav 3724

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Coronado California
First Name
Steve
Last Name
C
What are you thinking for legs? One of the things I don’t like (besides the price) is that the legs don’t break down for storage.
I have been thinking about either welding threaded pipe Union or threaded pipe caps to the underside of the disc. You would then be able to use either galvanized or black steel pipe as legs. Screw them in, unscrew them. Plus, you could use different lengths for different purposes, standing on the ground or for use on a table. Either 1/2 or 3/4 inch pipes.

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

I bought mine when they were a lot cheaper. Not sure I would drop $350 on one. It is nice, and I don't bring my stove with me. If I need to make stuff in a pot, I just use my camp Chef Stryker.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I cant justify the price of a skottle. My kitchen setup is fine. Use that extra money and bring some filet mignon.
I go here too.
I hate cooking but ultimately all you need is heat and any metal pan.
The only part you taste has no idea where it got cooked.
Food, Ingredients count. Hot cast iron? Keepit cheap.
But there is no substitute for BTUs.

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
As a cook 10k BTU's doesn't work for me. Plus any 12" lodge pan can do the same thing. It's a gimmick. Cook on what you are comfortable with. Can't make coffee on a scottle. A real cook stove with real BTU's kill a scottle. I can put a wok on my Camp Chef (30k BTU's) and kill it. To me it is about versatility and not trying to make a scottle a do everything cooking device. To each it's own. Use the right tool for the right job.