Sasquatch- Isuzu Trooper build

• HTML tutorial

Vadim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Hey everyone! My intention here is to try and document the transformation of my 1995 Trooper as I get into going off road and overlanding. My vehicle is a base model 1995 Isuzu Trooper with 93k miles on a SOHC 3.2 V6 and a 5sp transmission (relevant for those that have owned an auto and had it die). The previous owner didnt do any mods and kept it in pretty good condition. Here is how she was when I first go her:

Attachments

Reactions: Jimmy P

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

Nice looking rig! I see in your sig picture is has come a long way from stock, looking forward to seeing the progress of the build when you get a chance to upload more information and pictures. I have always had a soft spot for these rigs, should be a great expedition rig base!

Vadim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Here she is after I got my OME springs on and torsion bars cranked. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Before the car would feel like its tipping over in turns and if you brake too hard then the front would dive really hard. Now it feels more planted and in control. I also finally got around to replacing two broken front wheel studs as well. The impact screwdriver is a must and saved my butt big time. I also traded the stocks rims and tires for some MB Motoring 16x8 rims and got the windows tinted for some privacy.

Attachments

Reactions: Andy G and Jimmy P

Vadim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Nice looking rig! I see in your sig picture is has come a long way from stock, looking forward to seeing the progress of the build when you get a chance to upload more information and pictures. I have always had a soft spot for these rigs, should be a great expedition rig base!
Thanks O.B.A.K! Currently uploading all the progress pics that I have for it.

Vadim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Next was getting some affordable MT tires and plasti dipping the wheels black. They have lasted for a year now without peeling off. Also did a little bit of wheelin this summer to see how much flex she has.

Attachments

Vadim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

After all those trips, I realized the car needed some suspension upgrades so I purchased ProComp shocks and HD ball joints to help improve the stability of the vehicle. I also purchased a LED headlight bulbs to increase visibility, CB Radio, heavy duty air compressor so I can air down the tires, recovery rope and shovel in case I ever get stuck.

Attachments

k9sar

Local Expert, Georgia USA

Enthusiast III

Rydal, GA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4EKF
Love your Trooper and now I really miss my '91 trooper even more...They are great trucks!

Vadim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Well I hope you can do something about the hearing. Mine has the 4.56 gears and I have the SOHC 3.2 v6 and it is a pig at times when on the freeway and trying to climb a hill. I couldn’t imagine 35s unless you can get better gears in the axles or get a substantial improvement in power.

Vadim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Decided to start my winch bumper build finally. Bought some 1/8" plate for the bumper, 1/4" thick harbor freight winch plate, 1/2" shackle mounts. Here is some of today's progress, definitely not as far as I would have hoped but running out of cutting discs and welding wire put a delay with a need to run to the store. I used the factory bumper mount rail and ended up boxing it in to give it some strength. I am still planning to add a square tube between the rails which will also bolt to the frame directly. I know a lot of the concepts for welding and have beginners experience but I made sure to do multiple passes on the areas that need extra strength. My welder is a Lincoln Electric 140hd and I am using .035 Flux Core wire.

IMG_1361.jpg

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

Reactions: alaskan.lad

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Awesome rig , I've always liked the looks of the troopers and they seem to have a ton of interior room , can't wait to see where this thing takes you

Vadim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Thanks alot for the support guys. I made some more progress this week with getting the overall shape of the bumper in place. The next step will be to box in the top section and start building the skid plate underneath. I decided to try and make it as slim as possible to allow for better approach angle.

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg