Sarsaparilla's 4wd DCSB Super White Taco build

• HTML tutorial

sarsaparilla

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX
Member #

I purchased the truck March 26, 2016. She's starting to come along finally.

Mods so far -
Interior:
- Weathertech floor liners
Electrical:
- Installed CB for trail coms
- Got nav and entertainment squared away: Ipad/Iphone setups
Exterior:
- Debadged all the way around (apparently Texas Edition just means fancy floor mats and a shit ton of chrome badges)
- Installed Softopper
- Bed platform, custom build
- 6" procomp lift
- 35" BFG K02

IMG_8524.JPG
IMG_8530.JPG
IMG_8822.JPG
IMG_0540.JPG
IMG_0539.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

sarsaparilla

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX
Member #

Spent a few hours last weekend building the bed platform, for our upcoming trip. Decided to go with the simple execution, and used the stock cross beam slots. Wanted to keep it simple and test the height and function of the platform under the Softopper. I did put in some extra effort in making it fit clean at the back as well as carpeting it. Also chose to go with two panels so I could pull one at a time to access gear underneath the platform.

The Materials:
2 - 3/4 Sande Plywood
1 - 2"x8"x10'
Dark Grey automotive carpet

The support beams were cut to 2 - 57" lengths to run the width of the bed and sit in the stock bed slots. The 2x8 is actually about 7" wide which is how big the slot is, and the rear one fits great. However the front one is a bit tight and if not pushed in straight will sit at an angle. You could prob. get away with using a 2" x6" and not have a problem.

The platform portion was cut into two pieces. Total width was cut to 56" to allow extra space for the carpet, if I did it again Id prob. error on the smaller side, and go with about 56.5". The overall length is 60" and fits perfectly with the tailgate up. At the back of the bed it tapers in a bit and requires a notch be cut, so I created a cardboard template first and then used it to mark the plywood. This method worked out well, but still required a little bit of fine tuning. ( mostly because I forgot to account for the added width of the carpet here, oops.)

For the carpet we used 3M Super77 spray glue, and applied it to both the carpet back and the plywood. And once we wrapped the carpet as tight as we could pull it we stapled it to help hold it in place.

And then just slide them into place.
cutting.jpg IMG_8880.JPG IMG_8883.JPG IMG_8886.JPG IMG_8904.JPG IMG_8920.JPG IMG_8927.JPG

Reactions: ShawnR and Steve

sarsaparilla

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX
Member #

Got home to a nice surprise today, my LED bed and hood kits showed up from @af_4runner. Which caused me to throw any plans I may have had out the window and immediately start tearing the bed platform out to get the bed kit installed. The quality and craftsmanship of his kits are outstanding and very easy to install. I was extremely impressed by how well put together the kits are, and how high of quality the pieces are. He includes all heat shrink wire connectors, spare fuse, and even provides zipties for you to secure the power/ground leads to the frame from the bed to the batt. I got the bed kit installed in a couple hours, and it turned out really good.
If your looking for any LED lights for your rig, definitely reach out to him, he does excellent work.
IMG_9038.JPG IMG_9048.JPG

Last edited:

sarsaparilla

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX
Member #

I know its a little off topic, but I will also be using this space to do somewhat of a gear review on the cooler in the photo in my previous post. To give you a little background, I have been looking at purchasing a rotomolded cooler (super cooler) for over a year now. As most of y'all know Yeti is the market leader, but also costs an arm and a leg. Truth be told I have gone to purchase a Yeti cooler (the 65 quart size) at least 4 times, and have been unable to pull the trigger each time.
So after a ton of research, I was right back where I started.... which one is the best and are they really worth it?
Recently I was at Cabela's looking for some camping gear, and I saw that they recently released their own version of the Super Cooler, the Cabela's Polar Cap. They had a big ol' display and they were really showing them off. Interested I started to look into them. On the display they had an article from Field & Stream that reviewed the top 12 rotomolded coolers, and to my surprise the Cabela's cooler was the top dog. Check out the article here. So I started asking the sales rep some questions about it and he even walked over and grabbed a Yeti (which they also sell) for us to compare.
What I learned and my initial opinions on the Cabela's Polar Cap:
- They are ALL made in the USA - Yeti coolers are made here and in the Philippines and if you want a US version you have to contact them directly.
- It has molded handles as well as the rope handles ( a huge advantage for me)
- It also had a pressure release button on the front, allowing you to open the cooler with ease after it has sat for a while and pressurizes making it incredibly difficult to open the lid.
- It was somewhere in the neighborhood of 10LBS lighter in the size I was looking at (60-65Qt.)
- It holds a true 60qts. where the Yeti 65Qt. really only holds something like 52Qts.
- It has a Lifetime Guarantee, as with anything there are stipulations however Cabela's has been known to have a fantastic return/warranty policy on their goods, and the sales rep said they are likely to replace it if ANYTHING happens to it so long as its not stolen.
- The Cabela's Polar Cap 60 cost $299.99 compared to the Yeti Tundra 65 at $399.99

With all that long story short I bought it. I have had it for a week, and have been running a little ice test on it, and will be sharing the info with y'all. I wanted to try and keep the test as controlled as possible but in reality, when is using your cooler a "controlled" experience?

Semi controlled test:
Day 1 -
I pre-cooled the cooler as recommended with any rotomolded cooler, with two bags of ice on my way to work at 7:30 ambed-shot.jpegfront-shot.jpeg
Day 2 -
I added a 6 pack of beer, 1 bottle of water, 2 Gatoraids, and a glass bottle of what else, Sarsaparilla before leaving the house. I went straight to the gas station and piled 4 more bags of ice on top of the contents. Giving a total of 60 lbs of ice for the first "test" day.day2.jpeg
Day 3-
I removed a gatorade from the cooler around 4:30pm. You can see the level of the ice drops a bit which is in part due to melting but also partially due to the removal of drinks.
day3.JPG
Day 4- I removed 4 ice cold Coors Lights from the cooler at 3:30 and was absolutely blown away at how cold it was when I put my hand in the cooler to dig out a few beers to enjoy with co-worker. Again you can see a drop in ice level in the photos, partially due to melt and partially due to removal of contents. But like I said this is only a semi-controlled test because no one fills a cooler and doesnt take anything out for 7 days.day4.JPG

Last edited:

mtbkr

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nice post. I got a 2014 Super White DCSB 4x4 with TSS package too. I also want to get a Yeti but the upgrades on the truck has to go first and a coleman will work for now. That Cabela would be a good alternative though.

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

sarsaparilla

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX
Member #

Nice post. I got a 2014 Super White DCSB 4x4 with TSS package too. I also want to get a Yeti but the upgrades on the truck has to go first and a coleman will work for now. That Cabela would be a good alternative though.
Awesome, good luck with the build! Ill have to keep up on your progress. What have you gotten done to it so far?
I have been extremely impressed with the cooler so far, I really recommend it.
I have a coleman too, and when I've used them for hunting in the past I just add some kosher salt to the ice and mix it up before I put the meat in it and the ice'll last for days. I just dont like having salty drinks and food when I'm on the road.

Nick Abdo

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Anaheim Hills, CA
Member #

Nice truck and love what you did with the bed. I just bought mine last week, I'm just starting out so no mods yet. I'm going to look into that cooler, I was looking at the yeti too but as you mentioned way too expensive.

Sent from my XT1254 using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

sarsaparilla

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX
Member #

Nice truck and love what you did with the bed. I just bought mine last week, I'm just starting out so no mods yet. I'm going to look into that cooler, I was looking at the yeti too but as you mentioned way too expensive.

Sent from my XT1254 using Overland Bound Talk mobile app
Thanks, it's coming along, slowly but surely. Just keep chippin' away at it a little bit at a time. We've got a trip coming up, the lady, the dog and I so I have stepped up the mods a little bit lately to be ready for that. The next couple of mods are going to more organizational for the trip though. I gotta pick up a few storage totes to keep our gear organized and clean under the bed platform, and a cable/lock setup to keep that fancy new cooler safely in my bed. I've also got my Trasharoo on order, which I'm pretty pumped for. Ill keep the thread as up to speed as possible as it progresses.

mtbkr

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Awesome, good luck with the build! Ill have to keep up on your progress. What have you gotten done to it so far?
I have been extremely impressed with the cooler so far, I really recommend it.
I have a coleman too, and when I've used them for hunting in the past I just add some kosher salt to the ice and mix it up before I put the meat in it and the ice'll last for days. I just dont like having salty drinks and food when I'm on the road.
Lol! Nothing major upgrade yet. I just put a weathertech mat, window visor, grill and a tacoma roof rail. I've been building a DH mountainbike. Once the bike is done, I'll start with it. [emoji4]
Boiling meat with a little salt until it dries up helps with preserving it. Plus it will be easier to cook in camp.

Reactions: sarsaparilla

sarsaparilla

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX
Member #

Lol! Nothing major upgrade yet. I just put a weathertech mat, window visor, grill and a tacoma roof rail. I've been building a DH mountainbike. Once the bike is done, I'll start with it. [emoji4]
Boiling meat with a little salt until it dries up helps with preserving it. Plus it will be easier to cook in camp.
What grill did you go with?
What kind of bike are you building?

mtbkr

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

I bought a grill with a satoshi grill insert including the surround/shell and roof rail from another fellow Tacoma owner who got totaled from the latest flooding here in Houston. The surround is black so I'm painting it with super white using duplicolor this weekend.
I'm building a downhill bike. I know we don't have mountains here in TX [emoji4] but there is Angelfire in New Mexico that my friends go to during the warmer season and they are also building a freeride park in Smithville.

sarsaparilla

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX
Member #

Well after a brief hiatus on the build, I have started back at it.

Got new tires and wheels ordered earlier this week, and they came in today. Now, I am just waiting for my 6" pro comp kit to come in to make space for these enormous tires.

I went with 35/12.5 R 17 BFG All-Terrain A/T K02s and Level 8 Tracker Wheels.

IMG_0293.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0296.JPG.jpeg

And I went today on my lunch and got my front windows tinted. Don't know much about tint but I think he said it was 40% black Polarized Ceramic Coat Tint. They match the back pretty damn close and have crazy UV blocking to them. Pretty stoked.

window-tint2.jpeg

window-tint1.jpeg

Last edited:

sarsaparilla

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX
Member #

Nice.

The 3rd Gen Tacoma remains on my VERY short list, even with the issues they've had with them. It's still a very impressive package.
Nice, Yeah I looked at the 2016s before I picked up my 2014. But for the extra money, and what I wanted to do it I just couldnt justify the extra $$ that could be used on other upgrades.

Reactions: murps

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

Off to a good start. Do you have any plans for suspension up grades? How do you like your soft topper?

sarsaparilla

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX
Member #

Off to a good start. Do you have any plans for suspension up grades? How do you like your soft topper?
Thanks! I do, I am going with a 6" pro comp kit to start, so I can fit the 35" BFGs under there. I actually just got the kit delivered yesterday and am hoping to get it installed today/tomorrow. But I am going to break the end goal up into a few stages. So then from there I have a few other plans including lockers and stuff. But I will eventually upgrade the shocks and UCAs in the next stage of progress. I am leaning towards Kings or Fox shocks with reservoirs all the way around at some point. Going for an overland rig that can do some solid crawling when i get the itch.

I really like my softopper. I got it as something to get me by until I could afford a snugtop but haven't run into a situation where I dislike the softopper. It has done everything I need it to and then some. It's outstanding, completely waterproof, and super durable.

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

Thanks! I do, I am going with a 6" pro comp kit to start, so I can fit the 35" BFGs under there. I actually just got the kit delivered yesterday and am hoping to get it installed today/tomorrow. But I am going to break the end goal up into a few stages. So then from there I have a few other plans including lockers and stuff. But I will eventually upgrade the shocks and UCAs in the next stage of progress. I am leaning towards Kings or Fox shocks with reservoirs all the way around at some point. Going for an overland rig that can do some solid crawling when i get the itch.

I really like my softopper. I got it as something to get me by until I could afford a snugtop but haven't run into a situation where I dislike the softopper. It has done everything I need it to and then some. It's outstanding, completely waterproof, and super durable.
That thing is going to be huge. Awesome. Does King make shocks that tall? I know icon and fox do for sure. If you aren't familiar with Tacomaworld, there is a ton of guys in Austin making their Tacoma's better. Some good resources there. Looking forward to seeing your results.

sarsaparilla

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX
Member #

That thing is going to be huge. Awesome. Does King make shocks that tall? I know icon and fox do for sure. If you aren't familiar with Tacomaworld, there is a ton of guys in Austin making their Tacoma's better. Some good resources there. Looking forward to seeing your results.
Thanks, King does I havent looked into exactly which model or any of that yet but I have a buddy with kings on his FJ on 37s.
I am on Tacomaworld. My username is sarsaparilla over there too. I have gotten a lot of info from there, it is a great resource.