Santa Barbara California to DeadHorse Alaska

• HTML tutorial

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I have been talking to quite a few people who have driven overland style through Alaska and Canada, and got some amazing information for places to visit and see. I will be adjusting the map soon to include some of these points, and I also intend on figuring out some more remote locations to visit during the trip.

On the logistics side I have started to rough in the plan regarding food and water. I will not invest in a 12V fridge unless an amazing deal turns up, I figure that an ice chest will be more then adequate for all the food needs.
I am still figuring out the best water storage method, but my current plan is to abide by K.I.S.S. and just put some scepter water cans behind the passenger seats and strap them down.

After talking to a few different individuals I have decided to settle on a decent ground tent for all of my camping needs, less weight on the truck, less weight on the roof, and importantly, less $$$.

Due to my Land Rover's wonderful aerodynamic styling inspired by a "Brick with a hat on" my fuel economy is less then ideal. In order to cover some of the longer highway stretches (The Dalton and the Dempster) as well as some of the more remote portions, I will need to bring an extra 10-15 gallons of fuel. I recently tracked down a Safety Devices roof rack at a steal of a price and am planning on storing all the extra fuel in metal jerry cans on the roof.

And to finish off this post, a photo of the rover sitting pretty in the dark.

IMG_20170204_234854.jpg

Reactions: pl626

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Some updates to the planned route.

I have decided to head towards the Valdez peninsula on my way back down from dead horse. While in the Valdez area I will be dropping by Talkeetna, a place strongly recommended by a fellow over-lander (Unfortunately not on the forum).​

I also plan to visit the Knik River Public Use Area, which is a free public site for camping and running some trails. While I am there I will be attempting to reach the Knik Glacier, depending on conditions at the time I am pretty sure that we will be able to get to the Glacier (It requires crossing some mucky terrain and a potentially deep river crossing).​

From the Kink Glacier we will head over into McCarthy Alaska (Yes, the same one that has a TV show) and try to visit the Kennecott Mine and some ice flows near there.​

The next portion of the trip is still up in the air, I am currently deciding on whether to head over to Inuvik CA and see some of the incredible sights and trails that area of Canada has to offer, or whether I should head back down roughly the same way I headed up in order to save on fuel and time. Ideally I think I want to head up to Inuvik and then return through the Alberta province, but realistically I am not sure.​

Some Vehicle updates and plans

I have decided to stick with the rover's stock tire size and stick with my trusty Cooper AT3's. Due to the distance and terrain being covered, I want to keep the wear and tear on the truck to a minimum, keep the wonderful torque of the V8 and try to preserve what little fuel economy the rover has currently. I may install a modest 2" lift with medium duty springs to help cope with the extra weight over the extended driving distance, but I still have to think a little bit about the pro's and con's.​

I plan on getting my HAM license soon, and will be installing a UHF/VHF as well as a CB in the rig. (All of the Semi's on the Dalton run CB's). The radios, my spot, and our cell phones should provide more then adequate communications

I have installed some modest LED's upfront for driving lights and don't plan on adding any more driving lights at this time (Nice and bright in Alaska during the summer months). However I do plan on adding some 12V strip led's inside of the rig and a work/reverse light on the back of the roof rack.

I will not be running a dual battery setup for multiple reasons. (Size, weight, cost, complications, K.I.S.S., I don't need it). I might add a bigger battery up front though, and I will be adding more 12v and USB outlets in the rig (The Discovery Ones came with one single 12v plug).

I will be adding some limb risers soon to the rig, and unlike @Michael I will be making them properly:laughing:!! Joking aside I plan on using some 7/16 wire rope with appropriately sized copper swaging sleeves and thimbles. The sleeves will be installed using a proper swaging tool. (While this will be total overkill, I work in theater so rigging is a big thing to me as well as using the correct hardware (Such as using a copper sleeve instead of the cheaper aluminium sleeves)).
Spare Parts

The beginning of my spare parts list. This is by no means the final list, just copied and pasted out of a quick note I had.

• Zip ties
  • Hose clamps
  • Bailing wire
  • Duck Tape
  • Gear Oil
  • Engine Oil
  • ATF (its also my P.S. fluid)
  • Spare bolts and nuts (the most common)
  • Roto-Flex joint
  • Upper and lower radiator hose
  • Spare lug nuts
  • Distributor cap
  • Distributor rotor (not riveted, rather bonded)
  • Air Filter
  • Fuel Filter
  • Wheel Bearings
Im getting more and more excited for this trip!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Some updates to the planned route.

I have decided to head towards the Valdez peninsula on my way back down from dead horse. While in the Valdez area I will be dropping by Talkeetna, a place strongly recommended by a fellow over-lander (Unfortunately not on the forum).​

I also plan to visit the Knik River Public Use Area, which is a free public site for camping and running some trails. While I am there I will be attempting to reach the Knik Glacier, depending on conditions at the time I am pretty sure that we will be able to get to the Glacier (It requires crossing some mucky terrain and a potentially deep river crossing).​

From the Kink Glacier we will head over into McCarthy Alaska (Yes, the same one that has a TV show) and try to visit the Kennecott Mine and some ice flows near there.​

The next portion of the trip is still up in the air, I am currently deciding on whether to head over to Inuvik CA and see some of the incredible sights and trails that area of Canada has to offer, or whether I should head back down roughly the same way I headed up in order to save on fuel and time. Ideally I think I want to head up to Inuvik and then return through the Alberta province, but realistically I am not sure.​

Some Vehicle updates and plans

I have decided to stick with the rover's stock tire size and stick with my trusty Cooper AT3's. Due to the distance and terrain being covered, I want to keep the wear and tear on the truck to a minimum, keep the wonderful torque of the V8 and try to preserve what little fuel economy the rover has currently. I may install a modest 2" lift with medium duty springs to help cope with the extra weight over the extended driving distance, but I still have to think a little bit about the pro's and con's.​

I plan on getting my HAM license soon, and will be installing a UHF/VHF as well as a CB in the rig. (All of the Semi's on the Dalton run CB's). The radios, my spot, and our cell phones should provide more then adequate communications

I have installed some modest LED's upfront for driving lights and don't plan on adding any more driving lights at this time (Nice and bright in Alaska during the summer months). However I do plan on adding some 12V strip led's inside of the rig and a work/reverse light on the back of the roof rack.

I will not be running a dual battery setup for multiple reasons. (Size, weight, cost, complications, K.I.S.S., I don't need it). I might add a bigger battery up front though, and I will be adding more 12v and USB outlets in the rig (The Discovery Ones came with one single 12v plug).

I will be adding some limb risers soon to the rig, and unlike @Michael I will be making them properly:laughing:!! Joking aside I plan on using some 7/16 wire rope with appropriately sized copper swaging sleeves and thimbles. The sleeves will be installed using a proper swaging tool. (While this will be total overkill, I work in theater so rigging is a big thing to me as well as using the correct hardware (Such as using a copper sleeve instead of the cheaper aluminium sleeves)).
Spare Parts

The beginning of my spare parts list. This is by no means the final list, just copied and pasted out of a quick note I had.

• Zip ties
  • Hose clamps
  • Bailing wire
  • Duck Tape
  • Gear Oil
  • Engine Oil
  • ATF (its also my P.S. fluid)
  • Spare bolts and nuts (the most common)
  • Roto-Flex joint
  • Upper and lower radiator hose
  • Spare lug nuts
  • Distributor cap
  • Distributor rotor (not riveted, rather bonded)
  • Air Filter
  • Fuel Filter
  • Wheel Bearings
Im getting more and more excited for this trip!

Hi @Zargon

THis sounds like an awesome trip and I look forward to following along!

One thing I get asked all the time is where to source the parts for the limb risers. I got ahold of stainless steel vinyl-coated 3/16" (interior cable diameter) wire rope. I've never been able to find the source again without buying 500'

If you have a good source, can you send it to michael@overlandbound.com and share here with the group? Thanks!

Reactions: Zargon

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Hi @Zargon

THis sounds like an awesome trip and I look forward to following along!

One thing I get asked all the time is where to source the parts for the limb risers. I got ahold of stainless steel vinyl-coated 3/16" (interior cable diameter) wire rope. I've never been able to find the source again without buying 500'

If you have a good source, can you send it to michael@overlandbound.com and share here with the group? Thanks!
I'm glad you approve of the trip!

For theater we general order heavy gauge wire rope in bulk from BMI, however for small quantities Musson Theatrical supply's many different sizes of wire rope by the foot! They also sell all the hardware required (Thimbles, Swaging sleeves, Turnbuckles, Shackles, etc.).

Go ahead and check them out here https://www.musson.com

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

EDIT: You'll find everything you need under the rigging section

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

The route has been finished!
IMG_20170215_213208.jpg
After doing a decent amount of research and planning I have decided upon a route which I feel is a nice compromise between non-rushed experiences and time/millage/money.

The trip comes out to being just under 10,000 miles (Which means my rover will probably be over 200,000 miles at the end of the trip), incorporating high speed gravel highways, technical off-road sections, hiking and mountaineering, water crossings, glacier visits, and ferry rides. The plan is to cover about 300 miles a day, camping for most nights with some motels interspersed.

Coming up now is the planning for the vehicle, and the gear that will accompany us for 10,000 miles.

This is going to be fun.

If you are near the planned route and want to meet up I would be more then happy to meet just for coffee, or to show me some of the local off-road and camp spots, or for pretty much anything else!

Attachments

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Your route is very similar to mine that I am taking in 2018. I will be going a little further east into Montana on the way up and only going as far as Dawson and Chicken before heading back south. Have a great time. Hope you post the adventure her so we can follow along.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

The route has been finished!
View attachment 16775
After doing a decent amount of research and planning I have decided upon a route which I feel is a nice compromise between non-rushed experiences and time/millage/money.

The trip comes out to being just under 10,000 miles (Which means my rover will probably be over 200,000 miles at the end of the trip), incorporating high speed gravel highways, technical off-road sections, hiking and mountaineering, water crossings, glacier visits, and ferry rides. The plan is to cover about 300 miles a day, camping for most nights with some motels interspersed.

Coming up now is the planning for the vehicle, and the gear that will accompany us for 10,000 miles.

This is going to be fun.

If you are near the planned route and want to meet up I would be more then happy to meet just for coffee, or to show me some of the local off-road and camp spots, or for pretty much anything else!
We are planning on heading to Alaska around June of this year pending my actual layoff date. Maybe we will cross paths along the way!

Trail Wonky

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bellingham WA
Member #

Sweet trip you've got planned! I see you'll be rolling through Bellingham, WA. If you want or need an overnight at this point, I've got a camp on my property for overlanders. Feel free to contact me anytime! Have an awesome trip!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

The details are starting to come together!

The trip has been finalized at 26 days, departing at the beginning of July and returning just before the end of the month.

The majority of the trip will be covered by myself and my S.O. with my brothers joining us in Fairbanks. The four of us will travel together until we reach the Knik Glacier. At the glacier we will drop my brothers off in Anchorage where they are going to continue there own little adventure.

Having the four passengers means that the rear seats are going to have to stay installed and ready to use, potentially shooting down the idea of sleeping inside of the rig, however I am going to continue messing around with some ideas to see what works and what doesn't.

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Here is the current plan regarding where we are going to be when, if anyone happens to be nearby on these dates and wants to get together just let me know!

We will be departing on the morning of July 5th, the list is of each nights planned location
  1. Humboldt Redwoods State Park
    • ~ 500 miles
  2. Mount Rainier - White River Camp
    • ~ 500 miles
  3. Vancouver
    • ~ 300 miles
    • Border crossing
    • Visit to Harrison Hot Springs?
  4. Lilloet, Molybdenite Lake
    • ~ 225 miles
    • Molybdenite Ridge Trail
  5. Moberly Lake Provincial Park
    • ~ 600 miles
  6. Summit Lake
    • ~ 300 miles
  7. Destruction Bay
    • ~ 500 miles
  8. Fairbanks
    • ~ 400 miles
    • Pickup brothers
  9. Deadhorse
    • ~ 400 miles
  10. Campsite on the Dalton
    • ~ 120 miles
  11. McKinley Park
    • ~ 400 miles
  12. Knik River Public Use Area
    • ~175 miles
    • Knik Glacier Trail
  13. Kennecott Mine/McCarthy
    • ~ 220 miles
    • Drop off brothers in Anchorage
  14. Chicken
    • ~ 400 miles
  15. Carmacks
    • ~ 300 miles
    • Border Crossing
  16. Watson Lake
    • ~ 350 miles
  17. 40 Mile flats
    • ~ 325 miles
  18. Till Lake North Recreation Site
    • ~ 350 miles
  19. Bella Coola
    • ~ 250 miles
    • Ferry leaves the next morning at 7:00 AM
  20. Port Hardy
    • Ferry transport
    • Arrive 12:30 pm
  21. Nanaimo
    • ~ 200 miles
    • Ferry crossing back to mainland
  22. Mt Hood National Forest
    • ~ 400 miles
  23. Sheldon National Antelope Preserve
    • ~ 300 miles
  24. Yosemite National Park
    • ~ 400 miles
  25. Sequio National Forest
    • ~150 miles
  26. Santa Barbara
    • ~125 miles

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
I am planning an Alaska adventure next year (2018), thanks for providing this. I am going to see if some of the destinations in Yukon and Alaska will be a good match for me.
HAVE A GREAT ADVENTURE. Can not wait to see the write up on this.

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Bad news, despite all the work to make sure that the trip worked with everyone's schedules and having nearly all the logistics figured out, I have to call off the trip. To many issues came up suddenly in this last week to have the trip still work out...

While i'm pretty bummed about having to cancel the trip, I hope that others will be able to benefit from the planning on this thread. I am going to try and figure out some smaller trips that might still work out, but not completely sure at this point.