First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
@cmsgtnelly,

If I make my way out there, I’ll let you know if its worth the trip. So far GoogleEarth and the BLM webpage are all I have looked at. People have thrown up some interesting pictures of camping in different areas along the canyon. I think it’s worth checking out.

- Tyler

cmsgtnelly

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tucson, Arizona, United States
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Please do. Let me know when you head down there. I’d like to see it as well. Maybe we can meet up if the timing is right.

-Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pyrotyro

Rank III

Advocate II

coloRADo
Also haven’t heard of this, but after a quick google I am intrigued! We happen to be headed south through Abq and beyond later this week, looks like a perfect camp spot for a night!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
@cmsgtnelly,

I think I might head down there in March. I’m planning a road trip with the wife & kids. We’ll see if it works out, I have a month long business trip between now and then.

@pyrotyro,

If you head out there, let us know what you find. I’m curious about the roads, and how many people are back in there. I’m guessing it gets busy in the summer, I see vehicles in the canyon on GoogleEarth, but it might be nice and quite right now. I’ve also seen some pictures of old ranches online, but have yet to track down any coordinates for them. Any info would be helpful.

- Tyler

pyrotyro

Rank III

Advocate II

coloRADo
@cmsgtnelly,

I think I might head down there in March. I’m planning a road trip with the wife & kids. We’ll see if it works out, I have a month long business trip between now and then.

@pyrotyro,

If you head out there, let us know what you find. I’m curious about the roads, and how many people are back in there. I’m guessing it gets busy in the summer, I see vehicles in the canyon on GoogleEarth, but it might be nice and quite right now. I’ve also seen some pictures of old ranches online, but have yet to track down any coordinates for them. Any info would be helpful.

- Tyler
I will report back what I find! From my brief search online, this place is not very well known. Not even on iOverlander... So I am excited to check it out!

Reactions: TRT87

pyrotyro

Rank III

Advocate II

coloRADo
Alright guys, we spent the night in the canyon last night. Awesome, beautiful place! We came in from the Polvadera side, and followed the blm signs in. Pretty straight forward.

View attachment 47626

There were 4 other groups camped, which was more then I expected for Feb... but it was a Saturday night. I had planned on camping in the very tight side canyon near the beginning I had seen a post about online:

GPTempDownload.jpg

Unfortunately there was a group in there when we arrived after dark last night. But we went and checked it out on the way out.

GPTempDownload.jpg

Be warned there is a pretty tight gate keeper to get in here. No problem for a short vehicle, but took me some negotiating with the trailer

GPTempDownload.jpg

So we cruised through the canyon and found an arroyo near the turnaround.

GPTempDownload.jpg

Excellent place to camp and hike around. Awesome rock formations and desert scenery. Canyon is fairly short, but worth a visit!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
@pyrotyro,

Thanks for the info and the great pics! It defiantly looks like it is worth the drive.

- Tyler

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
So this is a little late, but I did check out San Lorenzo Canyon back in 2018. Almost immediately after, I took a multi-month work trip and moved my family to Hawaii.

From what I remember, It was worth the drive from Clovis, altho the weather started to turn the day we went out there, so we didn't spend the night.

My daughter and I had fun doing a few short hikes. For a small canyon, there is a lot of cool stuff to check out.

20180315_154901.jpg 20180315_154951.jpg

I would go back and spend the night. This spot was nice and private. It was a nice cutout that seemed to block off the wind and offer some privacy.

DSC00326.JPG

The town of Socorro isn't far, and they also have a few things to check out. They have one of the oldest churches in North America and a geology museum. If you are in the area, both are worth the time to look into.

20180316_110455.jpg

Reactions: Offroadnutz